Message Board Topic 1/19

One of the beautiful things about the internet is that, even without the blessing of getting published and distributed in print, you can still have your work read by people from all around the world. From every part of the globe. If they have computer access, then they can find you. And you can have readers in places that you've never even HEARD of, much less have ever been to.

The funny thing is...over the years I've noticed that this huge variety of different people, actually...shouldn't really have anything in common at all, when you think about it. People that I've heard from range from teenagers to grandfathers, boys and girls, straight and gay, from the USA, to South Africa, to Ireland, to England, to the Netherlands, to Australia, to Russia, and beyond. Different cultures, different religious beliefs, different politics, different senses of humor...what is it about the themes of the stories found here on GA, or at Nifty, that seems to bridge such a wide gap between us all? If we all keep these simple themes so close to our hearts, how is it that we so often can't find a way to get along in real life? Does this kind of thing only occur in print, or is it possible to 'connect' in reality the same way we connect in cyberspace?

Just a little philosophical thought to dwell on, this week. What do you think?

• Site Administrator

I think this is a non-issue. Many of the stories here and elsewhere are very human stories, and that's what attracts readers. Different cultures can get different things from the stories, but they all recognise a number of basic truths, such as love, hate, fear, and courage.

When you consider science-fiction and fantasy, if the premise above was correct, none of these stories would be read because how can people relate to a completely alien culture? The answer is that they can, because a culture is not a story, it is only the setting for the story.

...basic truths, such as love, hate, fear, and courage.

A very optimistic, upbeat, cheerful answer. Consider one not so happy: lonely, closeted, fearful; but, able here, through technology, to express one's self to others, to communicate with others in the same situation without fear.

Edited by David McLeod

I was thinking about a reply. When I came back I found Graeme's answer. It is exactly what I wanted to post. But I agree also with David. Through technology we can communicate much easier. We can think about a story and the author's intentions. We can think about a post before we reply. It would be harder sometimes to communicate, sitting at a table together, face to face, and other people maybe watching and overhearing the conversation. I think through cyberspace we can learn to 'connect' in reality the same way and thus overcome cultural differences.

... We can think about a story and the author's intentions. We can think about a post before we reply. It would be harder sometimes to communicate, sitting at a table together, face to face, and other people maybe watching and overhearing the conversation ...

This, too, is an important consideration, and the reason I've never "chatted" on line. (I'm uncomfortable even with "real-time customer service chats" when the "call center" representative is chatting with six or eight people at a time.) I do like to spend some time pondering a story, a post, an email, or a PM before replying. And, I like to ponder my reply. The pause in both processes is especially helpful when there is a cultural or language difference. On the other hand, those differences, and the opportunity to discuss them either in fora or privately is one of the best features of this site.

"Anticipate vs. expect: Anticipate includes making preparations for something you expect." --Word Warthog

Graeme nailed it perfectly.

I live in a totally different culture compared to most of the authors on GA or other sites, and the only problem I continue to have probably is a familiarity with the location of the story. Unless, of course, if it's set in a fantasy world as Graeme had pointed out.

Although English isn't my first language, I don't usually have any difficulties with slangs or dialects if any were used. Most authors opt not to, in favor for a larger audience, but a few do. Sometimes I would miss out a bit on a certain character's personality if I weren't informed beforehand, for example; a person from area X speaks or writes in a certain way, but only people from country Y recognizes it. It's a minor problem though.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..