Mechanics 101 For 4/4

Don't remember if I asked this one before, but I think it's just a matter of a few bad habits versus the techno-wisdom of my spell check....

What is the rule on whether the following words are 1 word or 2?

"Someday" or "Some Day"?

"Everytime" or "Every Time"?

"Anymore" or "Any More"?

and "Someplace" or "Some Place"?

Now, I will admit to having my share of bad habits concerning my writing, but is there an actual rule in place with these particular words? Something we can remember and keep in mind? Because I could have sworn that these were almost always one word. (With some exceptions, of course, depending on how the sentence was phrased and what it was talking about)

Any ideas?

I'm reasonably sure that "everytime" is never written as one word. The other examples you give can be written as one word (and the forum's built in spell checker agrees with me).

"We'll see him again someday soon."

"You never come round anymore."

"Let's go someplace else."

• Site Administrator

I think the question was more when should you use one word or and when should you use two. As that's more an editorial question, I'm not going to try to answer it....

• 3 weeks later...

The weird thing is....

When I type 'anymore' as one word...my spellcheck ALWAYS counts it as wrong. Every single time.

When I type 'everytime' as one word....my spellcheck catches it SOMETIMES. Occsionally it lets it slide, and occasionally it'll tell me to break it up into two words instead.

'Someplace' it leaves alone, but I figured I'd ask just to be sure.

Maybe it's one of those that depends on where you are in the world. ::Shrugs::

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..