Alfie's House: this is what many counselors might

JamesSavik

OK this comes from a list of the WORST children's books available but this one was number 1 with a bullet.

I don't know where it comes from but there is no doubt that it is part of reperative therapy aimed at young children

When you look at this just make sure you've got a bucket nearby. If it doesn't make you puke, it'll piss you off.

Alfie's House

• Site Administrator

I understand what you're saying, but really, it's only aimed at boys from dysfunctional families that think they are gay. Otherwise, a young teen or pre-teen will look at it and say "but I wasn't molested and my parents aren't fighting. What's this got to do with me?"

However, I do agree it's an appalling book. Anyone over the age of ten would laugh at it, and there aren't many ten year olds that think they're gay since for most people sexuality develops after that point. All it's doing is telling younger kids (I would guess it's aimed at the 6-8 year olds) that people who say they're gay need more love from their fathers... :blink:

I understand what you're saying, but really, it's only aimed at boys from dysfunctional families that think they are gay. Otherwise, a young teen or pre-teen will look at it and say "but I wasn't molested and my parents aren't fighting. What's this got to do with me?"

However, I do agree it's an appalling book. Anyone over the age of ten would laugh at it, and there aren't many ten year olds that think they're gay since for most people sexuality develops after that point. All it's doing is telling younger kids (I would guess it's aimed at the 6-8 year olds) that people who say they're gay need more love from their fathers... :blink:

How exciting! I get to disagree with you! I think it says much more than that to those kids. I think it tells young people that being gay is a psychological problem that can be "cured" by coming to terms with a lack of male attention, a familiar and erroneous legacy from the past. It says that there is something wrong with gay people, and that if they wouldn't have had such traumas in their lives, they wouldn't have ended up gay. The logical conclusion a child might conclude is that gay people come from dysfunctional families and are seriously f**ked up.

My problem with the book is that it implies that all gay people have an Uncle Peter to molest them into the club. That's one of the oldest and completely bogus claims of anti-gay organizations and completely at odds with the life experience of most of us. That's not to say that some gay youth are at risk of sexual abuse, it is certainly NOT the origin of homosexuality.

• Site Administrator
How exciting! I get to disagree with you! I think it says much more than that to those kids. I think it tells young people that being gay is a psychological problem that can be "cured" by coming to terms with a lack of male attention, a familiar and erroneous legacy from the past. It says that there is something wrong with gay people, and that if they wouldn't have had such traumas in their lives, they wouldn't have ended up gay. The logical conclusion a child might conclude is that gay people come from dysfunctional families and are seriously f**ked up.

Actually, no. Young kids tend to take things literally. The boy in the book turned out not to be gay -- he just thought he was. It says nothing about kids who are really gay. For them, I'd direct them to the wonderful Australian book, Pete, the sheep-sheep which has strong gay undertones for any adults who read it :D At least, I spotted them. Interestingly, our copy was given to us by my brother, the Uniting Church minister....

Now, if there's a gay boy from a dysfunctional family, with an uncle who molested him, then the kids may think it's because of a lack of love from the boys dad... which leads into what James is saying:

My problem with the book is that it implies that all gay people have an Uncle Peter to molest them into the club. That's one of the oldest and completely bogus claims of anti-gay organizations and completely at odds with the life experience of most of us. That's not to say that some gay youth are at risk of sexual abuse, it is certainly NOT the origin of homosexuality.

I understand what you're say, but I think you're reading too much into it. The book actually says the boy is not gay, but being molested by his uncle made him think he was.

However, I'm now getting a bad taste in my mouth because it is beginning to sound like I approve of the revolting book. I don't think it has any redeeming features and it definitely deserves to be on the WORST book for children list. It's inappropriate, inaccurate and has the danger, as James pointed out, that some kids will read more into it than they should.

I don't believe a book with slanted views of gay people is not appropriate for victims of child molestation. There's already a negative association, one that is far from deserved, especially when one considers that many gay people have also been victims of child predators. :angry:

If you notice, the grammar is a little off: there is a shift from "present tense" to "past tense". I have much to say about this :) . It could be my mini project for a literary analysis.

That is just more proof of how low quality the story is. The author of the book obviously has anti-gay sentiments and apparently did not do well in English when he was in school.

That is just more proof of how low quality the story is. The author of the book obviously has anti-gay sentiments and apparently did not do well in English when he was in school.

:( ................I do hope this 'book' doesn't find its way into our school libraries.

This is shocking to say the least and for once in my life (well among the very few times in my life TBH) i'm speechless.

I never felt the urge to burn a book more so then this one :angry:

Actually, no. Young kids tend to take things literally. The boy in the book turned out not to be gay -- he just thought he was. It says nothing about kids who are really gay. For them, I'd direct them to the wonderful Australian book, Pete, the sheep-sheep which has strong gay undertones for any adults who read it :D At least, I spotted them. Interestingly, our copy was given to us by my brother, the Uniting Church minister....

Now, if there's a gay boy from a dysfunctional family, with an uncle who molested him, then the kids may think it's because of a lack of love from the boys dad... which leads into what James is saying:

I understand what you're say, but I think you're reading too much into it. The book actually says the boy is not gay, but being molested by his uncle made him think he was.

However, I'm now getting a bad taste in my mouth because it is beginning to sound like I approve of the revolting book. I don't think it has any redeeming features and it definitely deserves to be on the WORST book for children list. It's inappropriate, inaccurate and has the danger, as James pointed out, that some kids will read more into it than they should.

Actually, reading the book would make the boy out to be gay. It says he was bullied at school for being gay and that he went out with other boys. It also says that he did this BECAUSE his unclu molested him.

It also says that not being gay leads to unhappy families getting back together and everyone being happy.

Martin

Actually, reading the book would make the boy out to be gay. It says he was bullied at school for being gay and that he went out with other boys. It also says that he did this BECAUSE his unclu molested him.

It also says that not being gay leads to unhappy families getting back together and everyone being happy.

Martin

B) ............Yep, the author has issues, the kid was not going to become not gay by the 'helpful' counselor! If that counselor had any credence in his credentials he would have turned the uncle in to the authorities. The book is a joke!!!

• Site Administrator

You must have read a different book to me :D

He was called faggot, etc, by other guys at school, and it says he felt different from them. That's it. It doesn't say he was bullied for being gay -- he was accused as being gay, but from what I know, that's not an unusually accusation teenage males use against someone they don't like. That doesn't mean it's true. I didn't see anything about him going out with other boys, and I didn't see anything that says he was accused because of his uncle, or considered himself to be gay because of his uncle (though the latter is not an unreasonable assumption from the way things are written -- at least from an adult's perspective).

I still think that the book is revolting, but I don't read into it what you seem to have :)

Edited by Graeme

You must have read a different book to me :D

He was called faggot, etc, by other guys at school, and it says he felt different from them. That's it. It doesn't say he was bullied for being gay -- he was accused as being gay, but from what I know, that's not an unusually accusation teenage males use against someone they don't like. That doesn't mean it's true. I didn't see anything about him going out with other boys, and I didn't see anything that says he was accused because of his uncle, or considered himself to be gay because of his uncle (though the latter is not an unreasonable assumption from the way things are written -- at least from an adult's perspective).

I still think that the book is revolting, but I don't read into it what you seem to have :)

"He explained that because I didn't experience affection with my father, that I was now looking for closeness with other boys, to fill the need for dads love".

I can only assume the mild blur on the pictures blocked that line from view then.

(along with the accompanying pciture of Alfie hugging another boy).

Martin

"He explained that because I didn't experience affection with my father, that I was now looking for closeness with other boys, to fill the need for dads love".

I can only assume the mild blur on the pictures blocked that line from view then.

(along with the accompanying picture of Alfie hugging another boy).

Martin

B) ............Kinda of true, sometimes 'ignorant boys' can see other boys as being gay or just pray on their weakness. Gaydar is not restricted to gay guys only, but I have muddled the point, I think the author was trying to tell gay kids that they are just confused. And he is the answer to all their problems. Turns out the author is the one who is confused here.

I think the author was trying to tell gay kids that they are just confused. And he is the answer to all their problems. Turns out the author is the one who is confused here.

You got it. Furthermore, he is pushing an agenda that wuld be endorsed by the Mormon Church. The Catholics wouldn't dare because it's the scam their pedophile preists have been working for generations.

Are we sure the author isn't Orson Scott Card?

You got it. Furthermore, he is pushing an agenda that wuld be endorsed by the Mormon Church. The Catholics wouldn't dare because it's the scam their pedophile preists have been working for generations.

Are we sure the author isn't Orson Scott Card?

B) ...........Nah, after all morons are cheap!

• Site Administrator

(along with the accompanying pciture of Alfie hugging another boy).

Martin

:lol: Okay, maybe it's just me. I don't like making assumptions, and so I didn't jump from the idea that he's trying to be close friends with other guys, including tactile contact, to the conclusion that he was going out with other guys. I've never seen it being a problem that two guys can like each other -- that, to me, is something completely separate from sexuality issues, especially since the counsellor is linking it to a dad's love, which is definitely non-sexual. The author may be trying to say in a subtle way that there's a sexual attraction there, but I think it would go straight over the head of most kids. He's too subtle for them, unless the readers have been taught that guys never like other guys.

I think the author was trying to tell gay kids that they are just confused. And he is the answer to all their problems. Turns out the author is the one who is confused here.

I also agree :)

Edited by Graeme

i wonder what they suggest for fathers who molest their sons.

B) ..............I don't have an answer to that one, I'm sure it happens much to often, much to my dismay. However, getting back to the book which I find ludicrous as in any social value.

That's not how it works. The kid concludes "Gee, I must have been molested then at some point." A helpful counselor will teach him the phrase "repressed memory." I recall in the '90s two young women who called me up saying they were suicidal because they were molested as children. The stories sounded dubious to me, especially the one from the girl I had known since her childhood. But more telling was how similar the stories sounded. I wasn't surprised to find that they both went to the same psychologist. Neither committed suicide then, or later as far as I know.

We all know how those families without gay children never break up.

B) ............Yep, the author has issues,

That may be what the book is really about.

the kid was not going to become not gay by the 'helpful' counselor!

Well, of course. The helpful counselor becomes the father figure and fills that need for the kid, so he no longer has to have sex with other guys.

i wonder what they suggest for fathers who molest their sons.

That apparently is not a problem, because by the author's reasoning, the boy gets attention from his father and doesn't turn out gay.

• 2 weeks later...

A terrible book indeed! :angry:

I would agree with these statements!