Would you give flowers to your boy/girl friend.

Toast

The real problem : which flowers ?

The flowers have their own language :

The language of flowers, sometimes called floriography, was a Victorian-era means of communication in which various flowers and floral arrangements were used to send coded messages, allowing individuals to express feelings which otherwise could not be spoken.

The nuances of the language are now mostly forgotten, but red roses still imply passionate, romantic love and pink roses a lesser affection; white roses suggest virtue and chastity and yellow roses still stand for friendship or devotion. Also commonly known meanings are sunflowers, which can indicate either haughtiness or respect. Gerbera (daisy) means innocence or purity. The iris, being named for the messenger of the gods in Greek mythology, still represents the sending of a message. A pansy signifies thought, a daffodil regard, and a strand of ivy; fidelity.

Want to know more ? See Language of flowers

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

I gave my husband a beautiful white/purple carnation, single, when we were just dating. Purple is his favorite color. He actually liked it.

And I hear you, Nephylim. Lilies are my very favorite, I love the deep orange.

The real problem : which flowers ?

The flowers have their own language :

The language of flowers, sometimes called floriography, was a Victorian-era means of communication in which various flowers and floral arrangements were used to send coded messages, allowing individuals to express feelings which otherwise could not be spoken.

The nuances of the language are now mostly forgotten, but red roses still imply passionate, romantic love and pink roses a lesser affection; white roses suggest virtue and chastity and yellow roses still stand for friendship or devotion. Also commonly known meanings are sunflowers, which can indicate either haughtiness or respect. Gerbera (daisy) means innocence or purity. The iris, being named for the messenger of the gods in Greek mythology, still represents the sending of a message. A pansy signifies thought, a daffodil regard, and a strand of ivy; fidelity.

Want to know more ? See Language of flowers

How fascinating, Old Bob! :great:

I'm really not that much of a flower person. At least not for the sake of them. I think they're a sort of idealized version of romance. As such, they can still be a powerful gesture. However, as with many things they can become less meaningful and more routine over time. I would be pleased if someone I was dating gave me flowers pretty much specifically because "it's the thought that counts" and it's a romantic gesture. The actual flower itself probably wouldn't mean all that much to me in its own right. If someone were to give me flowers my preference would definitely be long stemmed red roses. Perhaps because this is indeed a sort of "iconic" version of romance. Although I do think they're rather pretty as well.

I'm all for giving someone flowers. I'm a big fan of doing romantic things, especially if I know it'll please the other person. So if I thought giving him/her flowers would mean a lot I would definitely go for it. Funny story, I gave one of my exes flowers once while we were dating. I had carefully figured out how to find out his favourite type of flower casually several weeks in advance so that he wouldn't expect it. Well, I searched all over town and couldn't find the damn things! I finally settled on an assortment that I thought was pretty and they still went over quite well. Later, I confessed that I'd asked at several flower shops for his favourite flower (regrettably I no longer remember the name) and that they had all said that they either didn't have it or hadn't even heard of it. He laughed and informed me that that's because it's a type of shrub. :*)

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

i really like flowers.

i think i like them picked better than bought.

strange memory: last semester for my love and sex philosophy class we were assigned to read some really well-written erotica. i went home to read it and my mom had put lilies in my room and i had bought brie at the grocery store so i was in some like over-luxuriated state. i had my window open too because it was just starting to get warm. imagine!

i really like flowers.

i think i like them picked better than bought.

strange memory: last semester for my love and sex philosophy class we were assigned to read some really well-written erotica. i went home to read it and my mom had put lilies in my room and i had bought brie at the grocery store so i was in some like over-luxuriated state. i had my window open too because it was just starting to get warm. imagine!

Ooooh sensual overload. I LOVE lilies AND Brie... and, of course erotic literature. :)

I love giving lovers and friends flowers, but also, I just love buying random cute and sexy things for the ones that are dear to me.

I love dark red roses and I love to give them to people. But also, I'd buy someones fav flowers if I knew them (luckily I know my <3's fav colour, so at least I can choose that :P )

I love to give flowers to my boyfriends, especially on Valentines Day... when they're at work.. :) I also like giving flowers that I have grown to people so they can plant them and start their own little gardens. Tulips during Easter holidays are a favorite as well as Roses and the Hummingbird flowers that I have to give away before they take over everything else.

I love to garden so I'm always giving someone flowers.