Margarine vs Butter

Benji

I've heard of this before, but thought I'd pass it along anyways.

Pass The Butter .. Please.

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings...

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and

only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease .

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to butter them up')!

Pass the BUTTeR PLEASE

• Like 2

Thanks, Benji. My wife and I have an ongoing discussion (we never argue :P) about this. She is at considerable risk for heart disease and is convinced that margarine is better for her than butter. Of course, the real discussion is a matter of taste vs. cholesterol. She likes the product I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. My problem is that I can very easily believe it's not butter.

250px-NotButter.jpg vs. 300px-NCI_butter.jpg

I love to make cookies with real butter. When you grow up with grandmothers and aunts and my mother too, who cooked their whole lives and took pride in it, you know butter is better, no competition.

• Site Administrator

My dad was a butter-aholic. Big giant cubes of it...It makes everything better, especially pan-toast and pancakes. I always bake with butter. And recipes that call for just shortening? I don't even think so!! That is even worse than margarine!

I've heard of this before, but thought I'd pass it along anyways.

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has [/color][/size][/font][/b] no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Oh I can vouch for this not being true. Margarine goes mouldy with the 'round green fur' type of mould. :P.

We also drink beer - a poison, eat cheese - mouldy milk, eat chilis - we're mad. Interestingly we also eat bread which has starch in it. Starch is like margarine in that it is a long chain polymer.. the 'article' expressed this as 'being close to plastic'. Im not put off eating bread by this.

Marg is made from oil (as in vegetable not crude :P). If you have no problem eating oil you should have no problem eating marg.

I dont know whether any of the rest is true. It is a good substitute for butter when you are buying on a budget. The author forgot the critical decision point: Marg is cheaper. :).

I use marg on bread. It depends on what my experience of a recipe is as to whether I use butter or marg to make cakes/biscuits etc.

Oh I can vouch for this not being true. Margarine goes mouldy with the 'round green fur' type of mould. :P.

We also drink beer - a poison, eat cheese - mouldy milk, eat chilis - we're mad. Interestingly we also eat bread which has starch in it. Starch is like margarine in that it is a long chain polymer.. the 'article' expressed this as 'being close to plastic'. Im not put off eating bread by this.

Marg is made from oil (as in vegetable not crude :P). If you have no problem eating oil you should have no problem eating marg.

I dont know whether any of the rest is true. It is a good substitute for butter when you are buying on a budget. The author forgot the critical decision point: Marg is cheaper. :).

I use marg on bread. It depends on what my experience of a recipe is as to whether I use butter or marg to make cakes/biscuits etc.

Opps! I should have researched this before just posting, I didn't because I had heard this before, and thought maybe I had researched it before. Anyhow, there are a lot of truths mixed in with some false and unfounded ones on margarine. I apologize for not 'double-checking; Read this truth & fiction

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/butter-margarine.htm

Opps! I should have researched this before just posting, I didn't because I had heard this before, and thought maybe I had researched it before. Anyhow, there are a lot of truths mixed in with some false and unfounded ones on margarine. I apologize for not 'double-checking; Read this truth & fiction

http://www.truthorfi...r-margarine.htm

I have always known that margerine is not good for you, at least not any better than butter. Butter is natural and tastes better. But both of them are bad in excess... the moral of the tale is... everything in moderation :)

Most cooks would say butter is better, I believe. Julia Child always did.

Paula Deen certainly uses butter in everything. Most of her recipes start with one pound of butter.

Who wants to eat marg.? Since that email started circulating around, learning of all the unhealthy attributes, I've been using nothing but butter. Now my daughter lives here and all she wants is marg.! UGH! Kids!!... A pound of butter lasts us for quite a while...:sheep:

Edited by Rush

How many times have we heard that something in our diet is about to kill us- oh here is a safe alternative that eventually turns out to be much worse.

We've gone through this with eggs, milk, olive oil and butter.

Maybe we should be a little more skeptical?

A quick look in my fridge determines that the butter has more than 3x the amount of calories that my margarine has. The margarine is 23% fat (5% saturated) and the butter is 82% fat (54% saturated).

I also did a quick journal article search and there was one point that all the recent research articles seemed to highlight: you should not talk about the nutritional value of margarine in terms of the original primitive forms because it has come a long long way since.

I do admit though that butter tastes way better.

Butter is actually much better for you. Most of the health problems in America today are caused by our increased intake of simple carbs (like white bread) which turn into to sugar, and fat from processed hydrogenated cooking oils that humans weren't meant to eat. Oil does not naturally come from vegetables or corn, that's why these oils are especially bad for you because your body doesn't know how to process these fats. Margarine is extremely unhealthy because it's made with fats that the body doesn't know what to do with. And actually no study has ever been able to figure out whether diets high in saturated fats are actually bad for you. In some countries that have higher fat intakes there is more heart disease, but then other countries (like Greece for example) have high intakes of fat and low incidences of heart disease.

If anyone hasn't heard of or watched the documentary Fat Head you should. It discusses how high carb diets are destroying out health and is a rebuttal to Morgan Spurlock's Fast Food Nation (some if I disagree with, the movie is very pro low carb diets, I'm not some carbs, complex carbs are good, but the carbs americans eat which end up turning into sugar are extremely bad for you). Here is a link reviewing the movie Fat Head Review. If any of you torrent things like me, there is a torrent of it out there somewhere.

She likes the product I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. My problem is that I can very easily believe it's not butter.

My mom likes that stuff. If I'm having to pick up something from the grocery store, I get regular butter and she gets mad, but OMG, it says clearly on the label that it is NOT butter!

women. :wacko:

Edited by Arpeggio

Butter. I refuse to eat that other crap that never digests. Look at how high of a temperature it takes to melt it. Does anyone actually believe it stays melted once it is in our bodies and cools down to 98.6?

My grandma has had a triple bypass and then 3 stents put in her arteries in her heart since 2003. The heart doctor told her that her arteries were plugged up, And since her cholesterol wasn't high, He really had only one conclusion.

Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil. It's the main ingredient in almost all margarine and "butter spreads", And once it enters your body, It gets into your veins and arteries, Then the partially hydrogenated turns back into fully hydrogenated and slowly plugs up your veins and arteries until they plug up completely and you need to have an emergency triple bypass to save your life.

Butter all the way :)

You have at the bottom of your post that there can not be health care reform without tort reform. What do you consider to be tort reform. Could you spell it out.

As to the margarine versus butter issue. When margarine first came out, it was shite and you had to mix the yellow color in it. At first the dairy states blocked the manufacture of margarine with the yellow color already in it. Margarine came about during the war when there was a butter shortage as a substitute for butter. Because it did not contain as many fats as margarine, they thought it was better for you. However, that turned out not to be true. This thread was started with an article concerning margarine which needed to be researched. Most of the representations simply were not true or were misleading.

I guess it is true to say that a live person is just one heartbeat away from a dead person. Rather misleading, but technically true if the heart misses the next beat and the rest thereafter. The problem is that figures don't lie and liars figure. An old adage that has a thread of truth running through it. Take care.

Louisiana Writer

B)..................True, but I did follow up with the disclaimer, very quickly look at 3rd or 4th post

An Italian favorite, bagna cauda is a warm dip of anchovies, garlic, and olive oil served with fresh vegetables as an appetizer.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

* 4 to 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and microplaned or minced

* 12 anchovies preserved in olive oil, drained and chopped

* 1/3 to 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks

* For dipping:

* A variety of raw vegetables, including fennel, cauliflower, Belgian endive, sweet peppers and zucchini

* boiled shrimp

Also try adding shrimp and serving over pasta. YUM!

...I always bake with butter. And...shortening? I don't even think so!! That is even worse than margarine!

While I generally agree, there is no substitute for Crisco® in a pie crust. (And, as long as mentioned something so important in the southern USA, what about Velveeta (also ®)?)

...But both [butter and margarine] are bad in excess... the moral of the tale is... everything in moderation smile.gif

Well, perhaps not everything!

Most cooks would say butter is better, I believe. Julia Child always did.

A tip of the chec's toque to you, for remembering Julia!

An Italian favorite, bagna cauda is a warm dip of anchovies, garlic, and olive oil served with fresh vegetables as an appetizer.

Ingredients:

* For dipping:

* A variety of raw vegetables, including fennel, cauliflower, Belgian endive, sweet peppers and zucchini

* boiled shrimp

James: I assume all ingredients are warmed together over medium heat until the butter is melted?

YUM!

I want to say you can cook for me anytime. But I will settle for more recipes. It could be GA's version of Hell's Kitchen.

Ingredients:

* For dipping:

* boiled shrimp

That sounds yum :D

How big should the butter chunks be? Like tiny tidbits?