Gay Chicago

Is there anything for people under 21 to do in Gay Chicago? Mainly Boystown, a gay friend and I were wanting to go but we weren't sure if there would be anything for us to do. Would it still be worth the experience to just go and see everything? Anyone ever been?

Is there anything for people under 21 to do in Gay Chicago? Mainly Boystown, a gay friend and I were wanting to go but we weren't sure if there would be anything for us to do. Would it still be worth the experience to just go and see everything? Anyone ever been?

I haven't lived in the Chicago area for about 7 years now, but there's definitely a lot of non-bar things to do in boys town.

All the shops and restaurants around there are gay friendly, you're really close to the lake front (if you just want to walk, bike, rollerblade, or peoplewatch)...just lot's to do and see.

You both can definitely make the day of it (but hurry before it gets too cold to walk around outdoors).

I read an article once that talked about how straight families are moving into Boystown, and it's causing clashes as well as creating some harmony. Some examples included straight families mixing with gay families quite nicely, as well as straights who complain about the gay bars or claim they didn't know that gay parades would be going on, as well as real estate agents who call the area by another name to take away the gay connoctation.

Anyone from that area know what's what in terms of that?

• Like 2

I read an article once that talked about how straight families are moving into Boystown, and it's causing clashes as well as creating some harmony. Some examples included straight families mixing with gay families quite nicely, as well as straights who complain about the gay bars or claim they didn't know that gay parades would be going on, as well as real estate agents who call the area by another name to take away the gay connoctation.

Anyone from that area know what's what in terms of that?

The 'boystown' area overlaps or is included with other 'named' areas...such as 'Wrigley-ville', LakeView, Halstead, etc.

It's never been exclusively gay as there's always been straight folks living in the area. You have some old timers who don't like the changes, yuppies who want to live near the 'happening' areas and traffic, traffic, traffic.

I forgot what year they put the rainbow spires up and down Halstead Street, but someone claiming they didn't know it was a gay friendly area would have been blind to miss those.

• 2 weeks later...

Hahahaha, so we went, and this place is totally awesome. A couple guys just walked past us and checked the shit out of us. LOVE IT! It was real fun and exciting.

Places like that are fun when you're young (and hot). I used to love going up to The City when I was a teenager just to get hit on.

• 1 month later...

Let your fingers do the walking and tweet: http://twitter.com/gaychicago I'm sure you'll get helpful advice. Bars notwithstanding, there are lots of fun shops to check out in Boystown and restaurants, too. If you haven't seen The Blue Man Group, the theater is on Halsted Street just south of Belmont.

I visited Chicago in October and loved seeing the sights again. The locals are a friendly group and your gaydar will be going full-blast. There are tons of hot guys everywhere. In addition to Boystown, Michigan Avenue and all the street activity is a hoot.

When you visit, be sure and buy and three-day CTA pass. It's $14 and will get you on any bus or train.