Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 8

mmmm joel in red Speedos and he didn't sport a hard-on from all the attention!!

Trev looking in his mirror image (joel) again !!

but know that his mirror image can make Lisa happy.

gosh I got sea legs like Dirk - sea sick expert

I say Dirk didn't handle the situation well.

Making too much waves to send his son over the edge

especially about his heritage \ mother

I though school was over and its the summer

Hopefully the last charter is safe and not a take over by bad guys

its sure is a mystery to where the story will go

and what to wait six months to goto austrailia

Wonder if trev would risk sailing there??

why wait??

Julie, Joel, and Lisa - add that to the pilgrimage

then its a drop Julie to Tahiti and off to new zealand and australia

• Like 1

B).................. Well Dirk has certainly mastered the art of diplomacy! He seems incapable of thinking through before opening his mouth, especially after the last little blow-up. This is interesting!

......he flipped open his phone and dialed a number he knew by heart. When the call picked up, he said,

• Like 2

I'm beginning to think that when Dirk mentions wanting Trevor to live a "normal" life, it is not a straight life, but a life not spent obsessing about his boat or his mother -- that is, a normal teenager's life.

It is the classic failure to communicate.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think that when Dirk mentions wanting Trevor to live a "normal" life, it is not a straight life, but a life not spent obsessing about his boat or his mother -- that is, a normal teenager's life.

It is the classic failure to communicate.

I agree, Trevor needs to also calm down, I agree their communication skills suck, now if Trevor get a guy maybe ;) maybe ben ;)

I'm with you, Benji! :2thumbs:

I'm not sure exactly where I'm with you, but I'm with you. :D

How about mom is gay??? She's presently living with her lover. Her disappearance is all a charade. I think that's the "trouble" Dirk would be in - covering up his wife's diappearance.

But then I can't explain where Dirk goes on weekends. Maybe they're both gay, mom and dad. :lmao: I think that would be too "soap opera" for CJ.

We all know mystery and intrigue is CJ's game. Then again, he did say (some time ago) that this story would be more character or relationship driven. Now, if I only knew what he meant by that. :wacko:

• Site Moderator

There does seem to be a lot of miscommunication going on between Dirk and Trevor. Trevor has tried to talk to his dad about himself being gay. Dirk thinks Trevor is trying to ask if he's gay.

There is definitely a lot of mis-communication, in that the both of them are ignorant fools. What they need to do is sit down and quit being so cryptic with each other. It's not helping to just say something and assume the other person knows what you mean!

But, it seems that Dirk has another secret, which was hinted in chapter 7. I wonder if, perhaps, the Ares had been found, with no one on board? Maybe Jim has the Ares up where he is, north of Fort Pierce and Port St. Lucie, and could be where Dirk has been going, trying to find clues?

Sit down and talk...But...but....then that takes out the adventure and any other trouble Trevor is going to get into/find. It also destroys a new story that I'm really enjoying. With Dom back :2thumbs: to writing WT, and CJ's Circumcision, all i need now is for Shadowgod to start writing and posting again so that I can have a full schedule of stuff to read.

I spotted a misspelled word. When you have Trevor using the ropes as a guide line to get the ship out to sea, you put taught. I think you want taut there. :)

And, I don't think Jim is Dirk's lover. I'm suspecting mafia ties or perhaps a business partner or something, no sexual involvement with one another. Perhaps Dirk has ties with the FBI or IRS or CIA or something else like that. I also don't think Joe and Julia or Lisa are going to get a chance to board that ship. There is no chance Trevor would actually be stupid enough to risk pulling into port to pick up his charter passengers and Julie. Something he could do, on the other hand, is refund their money or book them on an alternate charter on their behalf. Now, if Joe and Lisa were to book a flight or their own charter down to the bahamas or something, they might have a small chance of finding Trevor. Now, out of curiosity, would the ship have enough cargo space to store enough food and water to get to Australia or something?

I think Trevor needs to stock up on bullets. Just a thought, heheh...

L.T.

• Like 1

mmmm joel in red Speedos and he didn't sport a hard-on from all the attention!!

Trev looking in his mirror image (joel) again !!

but know that his mirror image can make Lisa happy.

gosh I got sea legs like Dirk - sea sick expert

I say Dirk didn't handle the situation well.

Making too much waves to send his son over the edge

especially about his heritage \ mother

I though school was over and its the summer

Hopefully the last charter is safe and not a take over by bad guys

its sure is a mystery to where the story will go

and what to wait six months to goto austrailia

Wonder if trev would risk sailing there??

why wait??

Julie, Joel, and Lisa - add that to the pilgrimage

then its a drop Julie to Tahiti and off to new zealand and australia

School is over, and it's the summer break between their junior and senior years. :) Sorry for the confusion; the reference to the school year was to the past, while Trevor was earning tips.

B).................. Well Dirk has certainly mastered the art of diplomacy! He seems incapable of thinking through before opening his mouth, especially after the last little blow-up. This is interesting!

......he flipped open his phone and dialed a number he knew by heart. When the call picked up, he said,

Guest Wyndham

Apologies for not posting earlier..... I have really enjoyed this story, for several reasons - in no particular order.

Firstly, I love the story setting, the boat, etc. I'm not a sailor myself but grew up on the coast in South Africa and appreciate these catamarans. It makes a lovely change from all the other stories on GA. Your inclusion of maps is wonderful and helps greatly to visualize what is going on.

Secondly I really appreciate the trouble you have obviously taken in producing a story that is well written with good grammar and spelling. Please forgive me if this sounds patronizing - it is a compliment and well meant!

Thirdly, I love your descriptions of the boys in their speedos (etc). This titillation is wonderful..... :2thumbs: How about Trevor doing a bit of sailing in the nude?

Many thanks.

I think we need a week where we get chapter 9 and 10 at the same time... I'm out of stuff to read. :ph34r:

I wish I could, but I can't. If I did that, I'd end up running late on posting coming chapters; I have a buffer at the moment, but that gives my team breathing room, plus leaves something to post when I'm away on vacation. :)

Apologies for not posting earlier..... I have really enjoyed this story, for several reasons - in no particular order.

Firstly, I love the story setting, the boat, etc. I'm not a sailor myself but grew up on the coast in South Africa and appreciate these catamarans. It makes a lovely change from all the other stories on GA. Your inclusion of maps is wonderful and helps greatly to visualize what is going on.

Secondly I really appreciate the trouble you have obviously taken in producing a story that is well written with good grammar and spelling. Please forgive me if this sounds patronizing - it is a compliment and well meant!

Thirdly, I love your descriptions of the boys in their speedos (etc). This titillation is wonderful..... :2thumbs: How about Trevor doing a bit of sailing in the nude?

Many thanks.

Thanks, and welcome!!!!

The maps and Atlantis page came about by necessity; with a somewhat unusual boat, it was hard to visualize without the diagrams and pictures. Same for the maps; it's not easy to visualize an area based on words, so a map helps. This is especially true in cases where most people have an incorrect impression of what a specific area is like. One example I can give of that is Gibraltar; most people think Gibraltar is the north side of the Strait of Gibraltar and thus the closest point in Europe to Africa. In actuality, it's neither.

Thank you VERY much for the comment on grammar and spelling. I take that as a high compliment, especially due to me being dyslexic (I've mentioned that in the forum before, but long ago and buried deep). That made my day. The main credit, though, goes to my wonderful team; these stories are very much a team effort, and they make multiple corrections per chapter.

Thanks!

CJ :)

And a story note: The next chapter, coming Tuesday, is titled "Countdown"

• Site Administrator

And a story note: The next chapter, coming Tuesday, is titled "Countdown"

Hmmm, countdown. Could it be a countdown till Dirk finds Trevor, Lisa, and Joel? Could it be a countdown to casting off of Trevor in Atlantis for his world circumnavigation (BTW, hopefully he doesn't take your route to circumnavigate the globe that you have Dirk doing to get to Miami, it will be a bitch going through the Arctic and Antarctica tongue.gif ). Could it be a countdown until the shuttle launches? I have a funny feeling that this is one of your misleading chapter titles that makes us think one thing when it is the other.mad.gif

Sorry I didn't comment earlier, but thanks for the chapter, and there may be a clue or two in there of what may happen, but I may have or may not have been distracted by a certain guy in a hot red speedo laugh.gif . Speaking of which, if Trevor goes to Australia, he can blend in with the natives by wearing nothing but a speedo all the time. After all, aren't all the guys in Australia wearing speedos with their drop dead gorgeous looks and bods?innocent.gif

hey wildone - thats Joel

but i think i like to both of them!!!! in a BI moment or a threes company - its ok one is gay.

hey any one know which course would trev take to austrailia

the long way going east or the short cut going west?

but who would be chasing him - dirk no way

well he could by airplane or helicopter

hey any chance we see dirk praying his son is alive after a couple of weeks?

or he wouldn't mind being a bachelor

Hey with over $16,000 - Trev can hide the boat and fly to austrailia and come back easily

like why make the trip by boat!! LMAO he needs a visa?? and he's a minor??

Hmmm, countdown. Could it be a countdown till Dirk finds Trevor, Lisa, and Joel? Could it be a countdown to casting off of Trevor in Atlantis for his world circumnavigation (BTW, hopefully he doesn't take your route to circumnavigate the globe that you have Dirk doing to get to Miami, it will be a bitch going through the Arctic and Antarctica tongue.gif ). Could it be a countdown until the shuttle launches? I have a funny feeling that this is one of your misleading chapter titles that makes us think one thing when it is the other.mad.gif

Sorry I didn't comment earlier, but thanks for the chapter, and there may be a clue or two in there of what may happen, but I may have or may not have been distracted by a certain guy in a hot red speedo laugh.gif . Speaking of which, if Trevor goes to Australia, he can blend in with the natives by wearing nothing but a speedo all the time. After all, aren't all the guys in Australia wearing speedos with their drop dead gorgeous looks and bods?innocent.gif

Who, me? Be misleading? 0:)

Of course, those explanations for the title are not mutually exclusive. ;)

Well, Trevor could do a circumnavigation via the poles, but that would make wearing a speedo a bit on the chilly side. (not to mention ice and a continent in the way) but, we still don't know if Trevor is the one circumnavigating. :unsure: We also don't know what it is that will be circumnavigated. Maybe it's Bimini Island? Or downtown Ft Pierce, via skateboard? 0:)

hey wildone - thats Joel

but i think i like to both of them!!!! in a BI moment or a threes company - its ok one is gay.

hey any one know which course would trev take to austrailia

the long way going east or the short cut going west?

but who would be chasing him - dirk no way

well he could by airplane or helicopter

hey any chance we see dirk praying his son is alive after a couple of weeks?

or he wouldn't mind being a bachelor

Hey with over $16,000 - Trev can hide the boat and fly to austrailia and come back easily

like why make the trip by boat!! LMAO he needs a visa?? and he's a minor??

I can answer some of those questions, BUT, please don't take this as any sort of a plot hint; some or all of it may (or may not) be in the story. (sorry for the legalistic disclaimer, but one must always fear the Echidna!)

Okay, first, visas. There are many kinds and the rules vary from country to country. In many cases, there is no age limit.

That $16,000 might sound like a lot, but boats like Atlantis are expensive to run. For example, a new set of sails (if the old ones wear out, are shredded in a storm, etc) would cost a lot more than that. So would major engine repairs, or a host of other things.

Now, for hypothetical routes to Australia; there are four main ones. West, via the Panama Canal, South and then west, via Cape Horn (tip od S. America) South and then east,via cape hope (South Africa) or east, via the Mediteranian and Suez Canal.

The antipodal point (point on the oppisite side of the globe) for Ft Pierce (Trevor's home) is in the central southern Indian Ocean, about a thousand miles west of Australia. Therefor, the shortest route would be via the Panama Canal. But... it's not that simple. The deciding factor is winds. The route via Panama and a direct transpacific run would put Atalntis in headwinds or the intertropical convergance zone (doldrums, where there can be periods of no wind for weeks) and would be extreemly difficult (the only way to sail into the wind is to tack back and forth, making for very slow and difficult going and more than doubling the actual length sailed for those areas). Atlantis could avoid this by striking east from Panama and beating close hauled (slightly upwind) towards Hawaii, and then heading west, and then south. That would solve much of the wind problem, but still leaves the doldrums issue. This route is feasable, but would actually end up being longer and slower than the eastbound routes. However, it's a viable route.

Similar would hold true for rounding Cape Horn; the roaring 40's have eastbound winds, so same problem, but far harder to fix with a route change. This route is technically possible but would be incredibly difficult (the roaring 40's also hold some of the roughest seas on earth.)

Rounding South Africa is an option. Once Atlantis reached it, she'd have generally following winds, but getting there is a sizable detour, and from Florida to South Africa would be difficult; the winds often vary by season, and in the southeast Atlantis are often northerly so it would be difficult sailing, and crossing the central Atlantic would also be difficult (the prevailing winds run from northern Africa towards the Americas) but it is a feasable route, just long and potentially very difficult. It would also require crossing the Indian Ocean at about 30 degrees south latitude, and those can be stormy waters. However, it is a viable route.

The fourth option would be to head up the US cost from Florida, riding the guld stream, and then take the eastbound winds across to southern Europe, then go via the Mediteranian and the Suez canal, down the Red Sea, and into the north Indian Ocean, then cut across the NE trades by heading rough south and then bending east. This also puts you in the doldurms in the central Indian Ocean, and this route is more prone to seasonal wind changes (that's why sailors often use the term "weather window"; a forcast for winds favorable for their direction of travel). However, this is also a viable route.

Long story short, the most practical routes from Florida to Western Australia are eastbound, not westbound, even though it's slightly further as a straight-line distance.

CJ :)

Thanks for the reply cjames

gosh it reminds me of an old game called around the horn.

i remember the doldrums - yuck

anyway the game restricted to ny to sf via the horn on clipper ships in the late 1800

the luck part was the time of year or picking up good speed to past thru the doldrums.

pity trev couldn;t piggy back on a merchant ship

if trev tried the suez he have to big time problem with pirates off of somolia

Or....a nice lovely lovemaking scene somewhere on a beach as the sun is setting between Trevor and Ben... I like that thought :)

I may be wrong, but I think Ben hasn't been mentioned since early in Chapter 3. I think he was just one of Lisa's pawns in her little game of getting Trevor laid. It will surprise me if he reappears.

Thanks for the reply cjames

gosh it reminds me of an old game called around the horn.

i remember the doldrums - yuck

anyway the game restricted to ny to sf via the horn on clipper ships in the late 1800

the luck part was the time of year or picking up good speed to past thru the doldrums.

pity trev couldn;t piggy back on a merchant ship

if trev tried the suez he have to big time problem with pirates off of somolia

That game sounds interesting!

For a boat like Atlantis, the doldrums aren't as big an issue as for most; she could just fire up her engines and motor for over a thousand miles. That's not enough to cross an ocean, but it should be enough to get out of the doldrums.

BTW, please don't take any of this to mean that Trevor or Atlantis will be attempting to circumnavigate the earth. At this point in the story, we don't actually know that anything more than that Trevor is a central character, has an oceangoing catamaran, and the title of the novel is Circumnavigation. I am prohibited from saying anything more than that, on pain of echidna spines. Therefor, anything I say on routing, or circumnavigation, is purely hypothetical and might not be in the story at all.

The pirates off Somalai would not be a big concern for Trevor, if, hypothetically, he tries to go by that route (assuming he indeed goes anywhere at all). The story time is, in chapter 9, summer of 2006. Back then, the pirates were not making the news anywhere near as much as they have been in the last couple of years, so they would not be so clear a threat in Trevor's mind. :)

I may be wrong, but I think Ben hasn't been mentioned since early in Chapter 3. I think he was just one of Lisa's pawns in her little game of getting Trevor laid. It will surprise me if he reappears.

Ben was in chapter 2 and had one brief mention in chapter 3.

My view is that characters in a story are like people in real life; sometimes, we meet them only briefly. Other times, we see them from time to time. And with others, they might appear after a while and then play a major role in our lives. You can never tell. :)

Yeah, but Trevor needs a boyfriend. He also needs to get laid. He's way to stressed out, and it's a proven fact that sex is a healthy way of relieving stress.

~Me

One thing to keep in mind; it's early in the story yet. ;)

He's high-strung, that's very true. It doesn't help that he now is wondering if his father murdered his mother. It also probably doesn't help that he hasn't been laid in months, since breaking up with his former BF (mentioned in chapter one).

My favorite lines by Lisa so far in the posted chapters;

Unless Trevor meets a hot somalian pirate, I'm all for Ben. But ur definition of hot and my definition of hot are most likely two different things. Ben, on the other hand, seems like a boy we can both agree on.... and....

I'm soooo not sober enough to reply to this right now. I'll come back later.

Jon

So very true. I find it interesting that we read about a character and they sound super hot, and our hearts get all broken when we don't see any more of that character or things don't work out the way we expect.

I hope that made sense. I'm too hungover to figure it out right now.

l8r

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..