What music do you listen to?

I generally listen to Rock and Metal music. (Mostly older stuff like AC/DC, Guns n Roses, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Motorhead. That sort of thing).

There are a bunch of songs I like that are outside that as well though. For example, I like a few songs by Voltaire, New Order, La Roux.... basically a bunch of various bits of random stuff but yeah, mostly rock and metal. :)

Martin

I generally listen to Rock and Metal music. (Mostly older stuff like AC/DC, Guns n Roses, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Motorhead. That sort of thing).

There are a bunch of songs I like that are outside that as well though. For example, I like a few songs by Voltaire, New Order, La Roux.... basically a bunch of various bits of random stuff but yeah, mostly rock and metal. :)

Martin

i've actually have the newest la roux album. good stuff. love that bulletproof song, plus something about that women turns me on. i personally have never really sat down and listened to ac/dc, guns and roses, black sabbath or any of that but its not out of dislike or anything.

I have two Pandora stations that I mainly jump between right now, one based on Kamelot and one based on AC/DC when I'm in a Guitar Hero music mood.

One of my faves that comes up on the Kamelot station a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAYbZwc2W04

The first time I heard this I had an eargasm:

I also have a station based on the Trans Siberian Orchestra (i.e.

)

Quite literally everything.

I done LOVE everything, but I can guarantee thers at least 1 song from nearly every genre I like.

For the most part in order of freqency of listening

1.) Electronica (70%)

2.) Rock/stuff (15%)(I'm not familiar with sub genres of rock at all, but I think what I mostly listen to is called Metalcore and post hardcore. I also listen to some punk and stuff. Acoustic. W/e really.)

3.) Rap/Hip-Hop. (15%)

I known a pretty solid amount about electronica and its subgenre's and tend to drift around in them quite frequently.

At present I've been listening to more clubby stuff. Electro House, Fidget House, House, Club-House etc. Also been involved in Nu-Disco and Disco-House as of late. Been getting more involved in the Drum and Bass world as well, msotly the Liquid DnB zone for starters. Some artists/tracks I'm listening too from each area.

1.) Electronica

Frank Music

Computer Club

The Bloody Beetroots

Steve Aoki

Designer Drugs

DatA

Alan Braxe

Fred Falke

Armand Van Helden

Boyz Noize

Bart B More

LAZRtag

Breakbot

CFCF

Le Babar

Bobby Analog

Bounce Camp

Duck Sauce

Fake Blood

Justice

LightsOverLA

FukkkOfff

Royksopp

The Twelves

Logistics

Camo & Krooked

Danny Byrd

Brookes Brothers

Netsky

Sub Focus

2.) Rock/stuff

Attack! Attack!

A Day to Remember

Anberlin

R.E.D

A Skylit Drive

Settle the Sky

Bloc Party

10 Second Epic

Boys Like Girls

3.) Hip Hop

Lupe Fiasco

Kanye West (Older kanye, nothing recent really :<)

Immortal Technique

Flying Lotus

M.F Doom

Madlib

Aesop Rock

If you want more info/artists feel free to ask haha.

~Skyline

• Like 1

damn skyline i need to scroll through your ipod man. i dig aesop rock, i love bloc party. if you were to suggest something to me what would it be. i'm in need of good (preferably upbeat) music. current album in my car is Matt and Kim, album's name is grand. found them while playing fifa '10 haha

Oh, Ive also been listening to a lot of T. rex / Marc Bolan stuff lately as well.

(Then again, thats probably because I've been playing an old game called Age of Wonders and...well...when you are trying to figure out how to save the Elven Forest Kingdom from attacks by the Evil Dragon-Folk then you can't not have T rex as background music :P )

Martin

damn skyline i need to scroll through your ipod man. i dig aesop rock, i love bloc party. if you were to suggest something to me what would it be. i'm in need of good (preferably upbeat) music. current album in my car is Matt and Kim, album's name is grand. found them while playing fifa '10 haha

I have a lot of stuff I could suggest you, depends on what you like :P Any particular genre your listening to? Atm the Team Teamwork album, Ocarina of Rhyme is getting alot of play from me. Tracks from Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time, remixed with well known hiphop/rap lyrics. Good stuff haha.

I have a lot of stuff I could suggest you, depends on what you like :P Any particular genre your listening to? Atm the Team Teamwork album, Ocarina of Rhyme is getting alot of play from me. Tracks from Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time, remixed with well known hiphop/rap lyrics. Good stuff haha.

shit that sounds sick haha. i'll have to look into this ocarina of rhyme album. at the moment i've been listening to like i said before, matt and kim, but also Rx Bandits, and Circa survive, but i always have those two albums on deck.

shit that sounds sick haha. i'll have to look into this ocarina of rhyme album. at the moment i've been listening to like i said before, matt and kim, but also Rx Bandits, and Circa survive, but i always have those two albums on deck.

Hmm, well I dont listen to a whole lot of stuff like Rx Bandits, and Circa Survive, but Matt and Kim sound alot like the indie electro popish/synth pop bands of new. Aka the kind of music which is suddenly finding its way into mainstream light.

Heres some stuff to checkout you might like

Artists/Tracks you might like:

Penguin Prison - A Funny Thing (Jeffrey Jerusalem Remix)

- This one is really popular these days.

Breakbot ft. Irfane - Baby I'm Yours

Breakbot - Make You Mine

Justice - D.A.N.C.E (CFCF remix)

Passion Pit - Sleepyhead

Theres some just off the top of my head. Want more, again, feel free to ask haha. I have a bunch more stuff, I'd just have to actually start scouring through my library lol. Theres a good mix of stuff in this list, from the more rockey/indie, to the more dancey clubby, and such. Lemme know what you like and I can compile a better fitted list next time :)

Enjoy!

Edit: I should also say, the music video for Cinnamon Chasers Luv Deluxe, is one of my favourites of all time. I definitely recommend watching at least that one :D

Edited by Skyline

I listen mostly to classical music, and stuff that maybe would be termed alternative, and of course 50s, 60s, and 70s stuff from my youth.

I like variety and things that break out of the mould (and the mold).

Hmm, well I dont listen to a whole lot of stuff like Rx Bandits, and Circa Survive, but Matt and Kim sound alot like the indie electro popish/synth pop bands of new. Aka the kind of music which is suddenly finding its way into mainstream light.

Heres some stuff to checkout you might like

Artists/Tracks you might like:

Penguin Prison - A Funny Thing (Jeffrey Jerusalem Remix)

- This one is really popular these days.

Breakbot ft. Irfane - Baby I'm Yours

Breakbot - Make You Mine

Justice - D.A.N.C.E (CFCF remix)

Passion Pit - Sleepyhead

Theres some just off the top of my head. Want more, again, feel free to ask haha. I have a bunch more stuff, I'd just have to actually start scouring through my library lol. Theres a good mix of stuff in this list, from the more rockey/indie, to the more dancey clubby, and such. Lemme know what you like and I can compile a better fitted list next time :)

Enjoy!

Edit: I should also say, the music video for Cinnamon Chasers Luv Deluxe, is one of my favourites of all time. I definitely recommend watching at least that one :D

Wow, skyline i dont know where to begin haha. well let me start by saying how much i appreciate you going out of your and compiling this collection; there wasn't a single song i didn't like. like you could totally be the person to choose the next fifa soundtrack haha. plus this fulfills my request more than i could have imagined.

k now for the spew of positive things i can say for this list:

my personal favorites that came out of the list would have to be..., f**k looking back i really dig them all haha. well , f**k its hard to pick, but to put my foot down, miike snow black and blue is just so smooth i love that shit and the music video is dope. i'm actually familiar with justice but i have never seen that d.a.n.c.e video till now, and i don't know about you but i would kill to get all those shirts in my wardrobe. oh and breakbot, that shit is the truth man, i'm not really knowledgeable about the scene but it kinda has like a house music kind of feel to it that i dig. two door cinema remind me of a younger, harder (In the first song), more energy version of phoenix. for Hey Champ!, at first i was like "oh there instrumentals is kind of like the bravery" and i liked the bravery but hearing Hey Champ! i think they got it right. cold dust girl just sound so upbeat and mellow at the same time and i think thats chill. Finally, to your favorite music video; i can see why it is your favorite. it is more of a short film then a music video. i, myself, had to take a double take (watched it the first time, then had to replay to make sure it was that awesome [haha i just watched it again]). anyway, i love that music video, specially how in the second version he's flipping everyone off, and what a twist, when i thought the last version it was gonna be a happy ending and i was... well i wont ruin it for anyone who also wants to watch the video (which i secondly highly recommend).

p.s. i didn't explain "house music" or the band phoenix because at this point i assume you are musically more superior than i am (in this category of music anyway). congratulations i have a new respect for Canadians and their potential in picking music

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/19864-what-are-you-listening-to-%232/page__st__250

we also have that thread :)

I like rock and alt a lot I do listen to pop as well, dance and electronic, new wave. But I also listen to some languages I cannot understand.

Alt bands like Rilo Kiley, Dresden dolls, The Shins.

tegan and sara (indie pop/rock)

I do like some classic rock bands and some metal bands.

Edited by Drewbie

Wow, skyline i dont know where to begin haha. well let me start by saying how much i appreciate you going out of your and compiling this collection; there wasn't a single song i didn't like. like you could totally be the person to choose the next fifa soundtrack haha. plus this fulfills my request more than i could have imagined.

k now for the spew of positive things i can say for this list:

my personal favorites that came out of the list would have to be..., f**k looking back i really dig them all haha. well , f**k its hard to pick, but to put my foot down, miike snow black and blue is just so smooth i love that shit and the music video is dope. i'm actually familiar with justice but i have never seen that d.a.n.c.e video till now, and i don't know about you but i would kill to get all those shirts in my wardrobe. oh and breakbot, that shit is the truth man, i'm not really knowledgeable about the scene but it kinda has like a house music kind of feel to it that i dig. two door cinema remind me of a younger, harder (In the first song), more energy version of phoenix. for Hey Champ!, at first i was like "oh there instrumentals is kind of like the bravery" and i liked the bravery but hearing Hey Champ! i think they got it right. cold dust girl just sound so upbeat and mellow at the same time and i think thats chill. Finally, to your favorite music video; i can see why it is your favorite. it is more of a short film then a music video. i, myself, had to take a double take (watched it the first time, then had to replay to make sure it was that awesome [haha i just watched it again]). anyway, i love that music video, specially how in the second version he's flipping everyone off, and what a twist, when i thought the last version it was gonna be a happy ending and i was... well i wont ruin it for anyone who also wants to watch the video (which i secondly highly recommend).

p.s. i didn't explain "house music" or the band phoenix because at this point i assume you are musically more superior than i am (in this category of music anyway). congratulations i have a new respect for Canadians and their potential in picking music

Well I'm glad you enjoyed the tunes haha. Uhh Yeah when it comes to electronica or electronica based music, I'm pretty well versed in it. This stuff isnt really housey, like, it has a few house elements in it (lots of 808, 303 percussion etc) but it not really part of that genre. Mostly its a newer genre which has been steadily emerging over the past 3-5 years. Early in the 21st century you might have noticed many artists started taking more creative liberties with their genres' branching off into others. Basically This stuff (Indie Synth pop, electropop, synth rock etc.) is the result of subsequent blurring of genre lines. Not to say no one has ever made music like this before, its just becoming more prevalent lol.

If you liked Two Door Cinema Clubs stuff, I'd suggest finding and downloading their tourist history album. The rest of the tracks on there are very much like the two I posted.

oh and skyline, i dont mean to put you on the spot, but you strike me for a guy who likes going to raves, am i wrong?

To answer your question about raves, well it depends what you mean by a rave. The vast majority of people have an extremely limited understanding of electronica, and the scene it thrives in (hence how people call artists like Cascada, techno, when in fact, techno is a much darker, and heavy sub genre of electronica, more akin to industrial, Hardcore, Hardstyle Hardhouse, etc. etc.) To most people anything with a 4/4 kick and a synth lead is techno lol. To me, raves aren't really a good label for what I attend. For me, raves are usually outdoor events (or held in large indoor spaces like warehouses) that last over the course of many hours. Also a rave is usually held in the extreme underground of the culture, if you aren't "in" you won't hear about it. In addition to this, raves usually do (unfortunately) include a good amount of substance abuse. What I attend are shows, when specific DJ's/Producers I want to see are on tour and make it into my city to a club to play. I frequent those quite a lot. So far I've seen The Bloody Beetroots, Steve Aoki, Le CastleVania, Felix Cartal, and MSTRKRFT live.

So do I attend raves? Not really.

Am I active in the club scene, specifically as it pertains to artists of interest coming here, yeah lol.

PS. You might want to hold back on the use of curses and stuff in your posts, even if they're like f**k (bleeped out with asterisks or symbols), as its agains't the TOS (yes even for **** and such) and will likely get you into some trouble with the mods if you keep it up :P Just a friendly warning. A curse here or there usually isnt the end of the world, just keep it to an absolute minimum.

Anyways I'll continue this post another time, I have to head off to class!

Style de musique :

Justin Bieber, Michelle Branch, Dido, Enya, Faithless, Inigo Byrne, Jewel, Jorane, Libera, Lisa Loeb, P!nk, Sarah McLachlan, Gavin Mikhail, Nicolai, Nightwish, Keri Noble, Sigur R

sorry about the foul mouth guys. bad habit that i should probably break

Anything except Rap!!! And a little bit of Country. Mainly I listen to Classic Rock though. When in the Kitchen, bring down the Salsa music then I'll dance while I cook.

Do you listen to Rush haha? i personally don't but I've seen videos of their drummer and he is super legit.

Just downloaded the Miike Snow album; thanks for the great suggestion skyline, i'm loving this album

I also hear dubstep is getting quite popular, is anyone else listening to/ apart of that scene? i've only started to download Rusko, heard some of that stuff and its pretty sick

sorry about the foul mouth guys. bad habit that i should probably break

Do you listen to Rush haha? i personally don't but I've seen videos of their drummer and he is super legit.

Just downloaded the Miike Snow album; thanks for the great suggestion skyline, i'm loving this album

I also hear dubstep is getting quite popular, is anyone else listening to/ apart of that scene? i've only started to download Rusko, heard some of that stuff and its pretty sick

I've dabbled in dubstep, not really my deal. I prefer to stick in either fidget, or DnB (as dubstep is like a mix of the two) Although I do listen to a couple dubstep producers once in a while, its not my main scene.

Rusko

Excision

Cookie Monsta

Joker

Caspa

Tek-One

J.Rabbit

^^^ Are some big names in dubstep I've been seeing lots of. I personally only listen to Cookie Monsta, the grime in his tracks is unreal lol.

Cookie Monsta - Ginger Pubes <333333333333333 PS. The drop at 2:07 is orgasm inducing. I should also warn that this track is not for the weak of heart lol. Pretty intense heavily distorted leads. Sounds like noise to most ;)

Edited by Skyline

It depends on my mood really. I've been known to listen to rock, ranging from class to modern, light to hard rock and metal, and everything in between. I like some rap/hip hop but mostly the older stuff. I like to listen to country too. Then there's dance and pop. Yes, I like them too. Of course, I also listen to a bit of jazz, particularly instrumental. I also happen to love classical. Basically, I like just about everything except polka. :P

I've dabbled in dubstep, not really my deal. I prefer to stick in either fidget, or DnB (as dubstep is like a mix of the two) Although I do listen to a couple dubstep producers once in a while, its not my main scene.

Rusko

Excision

Cookie Monsta

Joker

Caspa

Tek-One

J.Rabbit

^^^ Are some big names in dubstep I've been seeing lots of. I personally only listen to Cookie Monsta, the grime in his tracks is unreal lol.

Cookie Monsta - Ginger Pubes <333333333333333 PS. The drop at 2:07 is orgasm inducing. I should also warn that this track is not for the weak of heart lol. Pretty intense heavily distorted leads. Sounds like noise to most ;)

ya that drop is pretty sick. hey if you got some drum and bass, throw that out here i'd love to hear it. i like dubstep and all but it your right man its pretty grimy and i feel that i might like drum and bass better. and i've never even heard of fidget...

It depends on my mood really. I've been known to listen to rock, ranging from class to modern, light to hard rock and metal, and everything in between. I like some rap/hip hop but mostly the older stuff. I like to listen to country too. Then there's dance and pop. Yes, I like them too. Of course, I also listen to a bit of jazz, particularly instrumental. I also happen to love classical. Basically, I like just about everything except polka. :P

haha i feel like a lot of people are becoming a lot of diverse musically now because i listen to everything too pretty much based on mood. i actually havent listened to country in a while though, hopefully i dont loose my ear for it, but i do have a classical station tuned to number three on my car radio. funny how thats acceptable now, i remember back in high school when classical was uncool haha.

well i guess i should put some stuff i'm into down for those who care to listen:

Taking Back Sunday - Cute Without the E

*Taking Back Sunday - A Decade Under the Influence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iou-i8KuWgU

Sense Fail - Buried a Lie

*SilverStein - Smile in Your Sleep http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IlGqk5D4YU

Hawthorne Heights - Saying Sorry

Bloc Party - Banquet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm5Li08_ie8

Bloc Party - Modern Love

(song doesnt start till 1:40; sick daewon song (skater) video)

*Rx Bandits - And the Battle Begun

Mad Caddies - Last Breath

Gatsby American Dream - We Can Remember it for you Wholesale

Damien Rice - The Blowers Daughter

*Damien Rice - Delicate

Damien Rice - Cannonball

Ratatat - Seventeen Years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYCKGG4VOZY

Ratatat - Tropicana http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEZECN_gvTc

Ratatat - Alright (Memphis Bleek remix) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19jqy5W0Nk

Ratatat - Diamonds (Kanye West remix) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgWne1RbOw8

*Heiruspecs - 5vs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc9BjyRhxYk

Kid Cudi - the Prayer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grPfVlj7Go4

*Kid Cudi - Cudi Zone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnsAWbhsL8Q

So these are the different songs i listen to depending on my different moods. they are not all the same genre so i tried to cluster them a little and i put an asterisk next to the ones i really adore. also some of these may be out of date musically i guess, so i might be influenced by their sense of nostalgia they imbue in me (but isnt that what makes some music go from good to great?)

Rusko

Excision

Cookie Monsta

Joker

Caspa

Tek-One

J.Rabbit

ya that drop is pretty sick. hey if you got some drum and bass, throw that out here i'd love to hear it. i like dubstep and all but it your right man its pretty grimy and i feel that i might like drum and bass better. and i've never even heard of fidget...

haha i feel like a lot of people are becoming a lot of diverse musically now because i listen to everything too pretty much based on mood. i actually havent listened to country in a while though, hopefully i dont loose my ear for it, but i do have a classical station tuned to number three on my car radio. funny how thats acceptable now, i remember back in high school when classical was uncool haha.

well i guess i should put some stuff i'm into down for those who care to listen:

Taking Back Sunday - Cute Without the E

*Taking Back Sunday - A Decade Under the Influence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iou-i8KuWgU

Sense Fail - Buried a Lie

*SilverStein - Smile in Your Sleep http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IlGqk5D4YU

Hawthorne Heights - Saying Sorry

Bloc Party - Banquet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm5Li08_ie8

Bloc Party - Modern Love

(song doesnt start till 1:40; sick daewon song (skater) video)

*Rx Bandits - And the Battle Begun

Mad Caddies - Last Breath

Gatsby American Dream - We Can Remember it for you Wholesale

Damien Rice - The Blowers Daughter

*Damien Rice - Delicate

Damien Rice - Cannonball

Ratatat - Seventeen Years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYCKGG4VOZY

Ratatat - Tropicana http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEZECN_gvTc

Ratatat - Alright (Memphis Bleek remix) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19jqy5W0Nk

Ratatat - Diamonds (Kanye West remix) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgWne1RbOw8

*Heiruspecs - 5vs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc9BjyRhxYk

Kid Cudi - the Prayer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grPfVlj7Go4

*Kid Cudi - Cudi Zone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnsAWbhsL8Q

So these are the different songs i listen to depending on my different moods. they are not all the same genre so i tried to cluster them a little and i put an asterisk next to the ones i really adore. also some of these may be out of date musically i guess, so i might be influenced by their sense of nostalgia they imbue in me (but isnt that what makes some music go from good to great?)

I'll break down the main characteristics of Drum and Bass, Fidget House, and Dubstep right quick, cause they're all pretty much related lol.

Generally speaking Dubstep is a breakbeat (Not 4/4 time, Rap is another example of break beat, because the kicks do not land on the same beat of every bar, in every measure) hence the beat sounds 'broken'.

Drum and Bass is also breakbeat, however the drum loops are much more complex and 'full'. BPM range is usually in like, 175 and higher.

Fidget House IS NOT breakbeat. Its a 4 to the floor kick (4/4) in the background giving it that sterotypical house/electronica feel.

In terms of leads and synths, Dubstep uses whats called a 'wobble bass' which is a bass synthesizer who's cutoff filter is being lfo'd or swept, back and forth. This gives it a wobbly sound. Thus the name lol. Dubstep also resides in filth and grime. The more distorted, mashed, sharp, dirty, nasty, and any other such adjectives a dubstep lead is, the better (for the most part). If you just youtube wobble bass you'll find tons of tutorials explaining it, and you'll hear an example lol.

Now drum and bass also uses a wobble bass commonly, however there are many subgenres of DnB. Since I basically listen to Liquid DnB exclusively, I cant speak much on the darker DnB Tracks which would make heavier use of a wobble. Thus, I'm basically gonna say DnB is a fast breakbeat, with anything they want over top musically, because thats really what it comes down to lol.

Fidget house, is a newerish brand of house, which came into popularity with artists like Crookers, Jack Beats, Will Bailey, Afrojack (Although afrojack does alot of minimal too). Its called fidget because well, it tends to sound fidgetty. Lots of wobble bass use, wobbly synths, erratic percussion, lots of hits, beat changeups, one shots, stabs, etc give it an always moving, fidgeting feel.

Some fidget tracks

Crookers - We Are Prostitutes

Anyways some DnB Tracks

Lazee ft. Neverstore - Hold On (Matrix & Futurebound Terrace Tantrum Mix) [Note: I did the video edit to this song myself here :P Not linking it for advertising purposes, but because I know it will be a high quality file of the song, I think I used a 320 kbps one]

Will add a couple more when I get back from classes!

• 4 months later...

I listen to a myriad of sounds, buuuuuut mainly:

-dubstep and drum&bass

-indie

-alternative folky music

-british electro

-and then pretty much everything else.

My favourite artist right now is Sebastien Schuller. He's this really underrated french singer/songwriter that makes really easy listening folk music with a peculiar electro twist. Go check out 'weeping willow'. And thanks for reading x