The Man and His Sourdough by Procyon

This story balances humor with pathos, fantasy with reality, a fully-realized world with the interiority of one character, resolution with irresolution -- in short, a work with sentiments towards post-modernism but with respect and caring for older forms. -- And I sound like Lowell. In any case, this was a brilliant read. It's even almost a tribute to Nabokov! The pacing is near flawless, with the switch between Humbert and Lolita done at just the right amount. Reading it, one also gains an increased respect for baking, which is definitely its greatest attribute... :)

• Site Administrator

I found the gentle humour the most appealing in this story. I didn't understand some of the references, but my literature knowledge has never been particularly good :)

I never gave Procyon my suggestion for a blurb for this story:

One must never stand between a mother bear and her cub, or between a man and his sourdough.

:D

One thing that did struck me was how Jim became obsessive about cooking after his breakup. It's not unusual for someone to develop a new (or old) interest when their life changes, and neither is it unusual for that interest to reach the level of becoming an obsession.

. It's not unusual for someone to develop a new (or old) interest when their life changes, and neither is it unusual for that interest to reach the level of becoming an obsession.

Hehe... that's what happened to me. You can thank my ex for the obsessive writing I have done since we split.

The is was the most awesoms story. It was so easy to read and surprising on so many different levels. I really enjoyed reading in and am just popping out to get some flour :)

This is a beautiful story and I particular like Jennie reaction to Candida milleri and Saccharomyces sanfranciscensis. Where have I Heard that before

But does the recipe for Sourdough work.

a sourdough starter. 100 grams of rye flour, 100 grams of grated apple, and 150 grams of tepid water specool.gif

corvus -- I appreciate the Lowellisms, sadly I can't quite do Bishop yet since I didn't get the book... although, come to think of it, I think I have some essays of hers that I could look at for inspiration. Anyway, glad your respect for baking has increased. :P

Graeme -- your blurb was better than mine... haha. And you're right about the obsessiveness thing; I think it dulls the pain and takes your mind off things.

Nephylim -- to paraphrase your quote: 'If you never fall you never get your dough to rise.' Glad you liked the story.

Bugeye -- glad you liked it, and you also provided me with an alternative blurb: 'An unknown recipe for a sour romance' -- a really good one, too!

Red_A -- glad you appreciate Jennie's reaction; it is based very closely on my own experience... ;) And the recipe does work; that's how I made my own sourdough, whose name isn't Humbert, however. Which reminds me that I need to feed him right now or he'll be getting grumpy.

a delightfully quirky story with that wonderful mix of reality/fantasy that seperates a good story from a great one. so much rang trye for me , as it obviously did for other comentators. when I split from my ex (and as i have been in my current relationship for 10+ years, it's quite a while ago) i too found a compulsive addiction to replace him - it wasn't sourdough and it was cured by my now partner, but the feeling was the same as you describe. Thanks

Riley -- thanks, and I hope your sourdough's doing well. I suspect it takes a while before they turn into people, though... :P

Canuk -- really glad you liked the story. :)

And goodness -- I forgot to thank corvus for doing the design for this story! Mea culpa. And it's such a great design, too. So, thanks, corvus, for making my story look irresistible, I really appreciate that. ;)

• 9 years later...

I had to laugh when the title popped and when I started to read. I am in the process of putting together the ingredients for my annual Christmas cake. And I've been searching high and low for my IKEA weighing scales. So had an instant connection with your protagonist.

A nice, gentle fantasy tale, short and quirky, with a happy ending, which left me smiling. What better praise.