• Site Administrator

Hubris by Cia

He was never alone. Rage against that which torments him has broken him completely. His fate is decided.

:nuke: :nuke: Spoilers Below!!! :nuke: :nuke:

Edited by Graeme
  • Site Administrator

Thanks Graeme, Kev, Sam and Nephy! I really appreciate the comments!!

I'm glad I got the nutso description right. I wasn't sure if it would really work since it had to be both be understandable and yet completely insane while still working in first person. I'm really glad that it did. Then I had to somehow bring in a twist. I'm not into politics but I wrote it as I was listening to everyone talk about the elections and how the president is either an evil man or a saint. I tried to include all those different perspectives, the person who could care less, the one who was sad because they liked/respected the man and the person who thought it was just desserts for his arrogant idiocy. It's not necessarily supposed to be the US President or Obama specifically but I do have to say the views of him definitely prompted my story. Also, I just thought the line would be completely unexpected. I like bringing that into a story so it stands out a bit more than it might have.

• Site Administrator

I think the description of psychotic behavior was very accurate. The last sentence took me by surprise. The question remains - why has he gone insane? Good story. :)

Ahhh! You asked the question! The answer to this lies in the title, Hubris. I had originally thought of another title considering this might be too vague and I think I was right. But you are giving me the chance to explain so thank you!! In classic Greek literature the concept of hubris is often used for people in positions of power who abuse their position and so incur the wrath of the gods. It's a very common theme in Greek tragedy actually. So in a subtle way I was attempting to introduce the aspect of divine retribution as the explanation for his collapse of self. Honestly, it's the idea that your mind can be rational and witnessing the loss of your 'self' or your body and completely locked away, unable to do anything about it that horrifies me personally. I could think of no greater punishment for anyone who is accustomed to complete control over others and abuses that than to lose all control over themselves. In an attempt to not spell it out completely I left the actual crime his hubris brought about up to the reader to come up with.

• Site Administrator

Thanks John, CJ! I can't even say where the idea for this came to me. I just sat down and started writing. I think the news was on with a lot of the political manuvering going on and that might have been what brought on the whole 'The President has gone insane,' bit but I just sat laughing the whole time. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the story!

• 12 years later...