Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Poor Man's Son Music Recomendations

Chapter 38

-When Will trips over himself to try and impress Tony, the hot college boy from St. Louis.

Mark, you have nooooo clue how much I've wanted to use this song. I honestly never thought I'd get a chance to use it because it didn't seem like the kind of song that could apply to Will, but thank god you chose to go this route with this chapter. I've been in love with this song since I was fourteen years old; THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!*Gives Mark a big bear hug and a kiss on the cheek*

-When Will shows off his marine life knowlege to Tony.

- When Tony decides to cook dinner for his hosts.

"Be Our Guest" from Beauty and The Beast

Channeling a little Disney here? It's cute. :D

I decided to go with the juxtaposition of innocent Disney songs with Will's blossoming sexuality. Besides, they're movies he grew up on.

There really is a method to the madness here. LOL.

Will's "blossoming sexuality"?

Ummmm, this is Will's theme song.

• Like 1

Not a bad tune. Hey, why don't you go ahead and put it in the fan music rec thread that I set up and asked for all of you to post at instead of in this one, okay? Cool! :2thumbs:

Edited by methodwriter85

Chapter 39

-When the boys enjoy the touristy SF stuff.

-When the boys ride the trolley.

-When Will and Tony ride the ferry, and finally kiss.

"Kiss the Girl" from The Little Mermaid

-When Gathan and Kristin talk about the Turkey Day Dump, and pledge to make their way through it. Through sex.

"Jamaica Say You Will" by Jackson Browne

I saw this song on an episode of The Wonder Years, and loved it. Was the Wonder Years basically what your own adolescence was like, Mark? I heard the show basically nailed the Baby Boomer experience. Edited by methodwriter85

PMS Chapter 40

-When Will talks to his father, who then does a Jager bomb shot in front of him.

Gin and Juice by Snoop Doggy Dog

-When Will talks about his mission to get Tony into bed.

"Try Again" by Aaliyah

-When Will and Tony make love, and Will learns what bottoming is all about.

-When Tony freaks out about the age difference the next morning.

"Guilty Conscience" by Eminem and Dr. Dre

-When everyone says their angsty goodbyes to each other.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 3 weeks later...

Holy flashback, right? It's been weird setting back my pop clock to when I was 14. The main thing to note about the year was that the pop girls and boys were going strong, Eminem was the emerging prince, and the Latin Pop explosion was still going. And leather/pleather pants were very popular.

I want to use "Breathe" by Faith Hill, but I'm not really sure that fits any of the relationships I'm seeing in this one. Edited by methodwriter85
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter 41

-When Will writes an email to Tony, who he still can't shake, and imagines a life with AIDS.

-When Wade gets Will to think about how fortunate he really is as a young gay man without baggage about being gay, and that he can't play Russian Roulette with his life.

"What's This Life For?" by Creed

-When Gathan mopes about Kristin. (Dear god, does EVERYONE have to mope about their love interests?)

Weezer. The Blue Album. End to end, an awesome album that perfectly describes teen angst. My sister downloaded and burned a copy of it for me, and the album was on repeat for me freshman year.

-When JJ and Will start their 9th grade year at Harvard-Westlake, and don't exactly hit it off with the kids there.

I basically adored Good Charlotte through those first two albums. Joel Madden was hot before he went overboard on the tattoos.

-When Will thinks to himself that maybe it won't be so bad at Harvard-Westlake.

"Degrassi Junior High Theme Song"

Someone once described Degrassi Junior High to me as an 80's after-school special that never ended. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85

I don't often comment of the songs but I think the ones that methodwriter picked for the latest chapter were just dead on. The songs for this and the last couple of stories are from a time that I just wasn't that into the music being produced in general, I think that most of the music from 1998 to 2003 was one of the worst in decades. There are some notable exceptions but as a rule those few years just didn't click with me, that being said the songs that you picked for this chapter were all picture perfect and really hit the mood.

I'm going to level with you- I pretty much think music went on an uptick in 2003, and I prefer music from the mid-2000's over that of 2000. I think 2000 was a weird transition year where the late 90's boybands, Latin Pop explosion, and pretty girl princesses were still going strong, but were starting to grate. I think the only really good things going on musically that year would have been Moby and Eminem, at least in terms of what was hitting the mainstream. (Linkin Park didn't really hit until the end of 2000 and they were more of a 2001 band.) I also like the poppy punk things going on, as well as bands like Staind.

It's why I've been pretty frustrated at having to soundtrack not just one, but two stories set in 2000. Mark's crammed three stories within the end-of-Millenium era, and I've essentially exhausted 1996-2000 music. I've had to branch out as a result, but god, it can get frustrating. There are times where there is a song I REALLY want to use, but it wasn't released until 2001 or 2002. I stick to the rule though because I want to use music that would have been around in the year that the story takes place. The rule used to be that the music would generally have to be from within three years prior to the year the story took place, but Mark packing Bloodlines in 1998-1999, Millenium in 1999-2000, and PMS in 2000 really kinda killed that rule. So I branch out into older tunes and non-conventional tunes as well, but I'm still really frustrated because I'm frankly pretty sick of this era and I want us at post-9/11 music already. I do think 9/11 definitely sounded the death knell of the late 90's pop boom, for sure.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed what I picked, though. Thanks. It's not that this era is a total wash, as you've seen here.

Edited by methodwriter85

Chapter 42

-When Will decides to call JJ off on the way he made himself a pariah at Malibu.

JJ reminds me of myself in so many ways, and not all in the best ways.

-At Stanford's hockey practice, where Matt is a total dick to Gathan, pissing him off.

"My Way' by Limp Bizkit

-When Will reads Tony's email to him, and immediately feels like crap.

"Loser" by 3 Doors Down

Chapter 43

-When we meet Will's complete crew of high school friends.

-When JJ and Will bitch at each other all throughout the chapter about having to share a car ride. (JJ should be happy that he's getting his license mid-10th grade year while Will has to wait until 11th grade starts. Sucks for you, Will!)

-When Gathan ponders about how, in the end, it doesn't really matter who gets elected president.

vs.

-When Gathan thinks about Matt and Wade's open relationship.

Chapter 44

-When Tiffany's son is born on Will's 14th birthday.

There's a reason I picked this tune. Brownie points to whoever figures out why.

-When Will and Tony have their magic kiss.

"Under the Milky Way" by The Church

-When Tony rants at his father for giving this deal about liking guys to him.

Will, run. Seriousy. Run.

Chapter 45

-When Will and Tony talk on the beach about various things.

-When Will and Tony make love in his new, pimped out room.

"My So-Called Life"...I fell in love with that show when I was 8 years old, and god it held up well.

-When Will comes to the realization that Tony is never going to admit that he's gay, and is never going to be a boyfriend to him because of it.

This song. I've been dying for a place to put it. I hope I got it right.

-When Robbie comforts his son, who comes to finally get that he can't fall in love with every guy he has sex with.

Chapter 45

-When Will and Tony talk on the beach about various things.

-When Will and Tony make love in his new, pimped out room.

"My So-Called Life"...I fell in love with that show when I was 8 years old, and god it held up well.

-When Will comes to the realization that Tony is never going to admit that he's gay, and is never going to be a boyfriend to him because of it.

This song. I've been dying for a place to put it. I hope I got it right.

-When Robbie comforts his son, who comes to finally get that he can't fall in love with every guy he has sex with.

Great choices Jeremy! I really liked that Vertical Horizon song and haven't heard it for a while.

Great choices Jeremy! I really liked that Vertical Horizon song and haven't heard it for a while.

Thanks. It's a good song. I like "The Best I Ever Had" and "You're A God" better, but yeah. I thought it fit well.

"Dreams" isn't really period. I was going to use a boyband song or a Faith Hill song, but then I thought, "What the hell" and went with something I really thought fit, damned it not being period. Will is totally the Angela Chase to Tony's Jordan Catalano. That's why I picked it.

But with the exception of "Dreams", I think my picks were pretty reflective of the period once you got outside the boyband/blond teen queen pop area.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter 46

-When Gathan gets picked up by his cousins at the airport, and they ride to Claremont.

"Country Grammar" (Hot Shit) by Nelly

-When they enter the party at Colson's house.

-When Gathan finds Kristin blowing a football player.

You guys didn't really think I'd go a story set in 2000 without using Britney Spear's biggest hit from that year, did you?

-When Gathan and Zach have sex.

I seriously thought this was by the Cardigans, when this was making the movie rounds in the late '90's.

I miss the 90's. God, I miss them. I would have given anything to have been born in the 70's so I could have experienced the '90's as a twentysomething. Much better time for young adulthood, I think- the music, the clothes, god...what a great time.

-When Gathan and Kristin have break-up sex.

I gotta admit, I kinda like that we ended this on a sad song. Not what I usually get to do.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..