Snooki Get $32K to Talk 'GTL' On Rutgers Campus

Snooki Gets $32K to Talk 'GTL' On Rutgers Campus

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- The pouf is mightier than the pen when it comes to speaking fees at New Jersey's largest university.

The Rutgers University Programming Association paid Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi of the reality TV show "Jersey Shore" $32,000 Thursday to dish on her hairstyle, fist pumps, as well as the GTL – gym, tanning, laundry – lifestyle.

That's $2,000 more than the $30,000 the university is paying Nobel-winning novelist Toni Morrison to deliver Rutgers' commencement address in May.

Money for Polizzi's appearance came from the mandatory student activity fee.

Freshman Adham Abdel-Raouf told The Star-Ledger of Newark he thought the price was a bargain given Snooki's popularity. Another freshman, Dan Oliveto, said it was a waste of money.

Snooki's advice to students: "Study hard, but party harder."

blink.gif

Edited by Kioo

No shade, to Snooki and the rest of the Jersey Shore cast. But, there putting there fame and status to work for themselves. While the show maybe messy, it's also wildly entertaining and the world is buying into it. These guys are getting book deals, magazine interviews, photo spreads. Its the world of reality tv, there now minor celebrities. And, Rutgers University is at fault for paying Snooki $32k, not Snooki to her its just a check. So I can't fault her all I got to say is she's hustling to get her money. So girl get your money!

This has to be a joke. A university in New Jersey? I think not. : P

Seriously, I am not very surprised. My university seems just as irresponsible with their money, to be honest. They spend large amounts of money on things that seem high profile, especially early in the year, in an attempt to dazzle the students, rather than use more of it to improve the actual school resources, like better lab equipment and storage facilities.

I feel sorry for Toni Morrison

I agree. I was ok with the article until they mentioned Toni Morrison....

Stupid author just wanted to impress people....

Leave Morrison out of it....

Of course it had to be Rutgers....

Confirmed by other news outlets: $32K to Snooki :(

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/968391--snooki-s-hefty-fee-angers-rutgers-university-parents-students

I kind of agree that this is a reflection of bad judgment on the University part and society in general for promoting pop culture to the point of deification.

I can't remember who said this about modern pop culture; but it seems right Basically, mankind has given their beliefs in Gods and Goddesses, but we have replaced them with the hit of the year. Pop fiction characters are our new pantheon of larger than life Gods, the entertainment outlets are their altars, and the media are their high priests. Our fan-fiction takes the part of plays and fanboy/girls take the place of worshipers.

-----

Oh well, we can only hope that whatever takes her place is better next year.

It's too bad when a University lowers itself by paying common trash to speak in one of their forums. It sends a wrong message to today's college students. Shame on Rutgers U for lowering their standards and raising their tuition. Hypocritical ya think?