lily of the valley, the flower of the 1rst of May

Traditionally, lily of the valley is sold in the streets of France and Switzerland on May 1.

Usually you offer your partner, boyfriend or gilrfriend a sprig of lily to express your love.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the "language of flowers", the lily of the valley signifies the return of happiness.

It's what I wish to all of you, in this wonderful evening of a sunny Sunday.

Legend tells of the affection of a lily of the valley for a nightingale that did not come back to the woods until the flower bloomed in May. What a nice legend :great:

Edited by old bob
  • Like 1

Oh That is so wonderful! My husband passed away a few months ago and just last night I was thinking of our home in the U.S. and how the flowers would be coming up there now. Lily of the valley grew all over our front yard...because my husband planted them years before we met. Thank you Old Bob, you made my day. :D

Oh That is so wonderful! My husband passed away a few months ago and just last night I was thinking of our home in the U.S. and how the flowers would be coming up there now. Lily of the valley grew all over our front yard...because my husband planted them years before we met. Thank you Old Bob, you made my day. :D

Thanks for sharing this to me. I am sorry for the loss of your husband. I've never seen these in Canada, do you know if they grow in Canada?

Thanks WCD. I've never seen them here, but I do know they grow here. Plus, if they grew in Montana, where I used to live then for sure they would grow in southern Alberta and southern B.C. They're a spring flower like tulips and daffodils.

Edited by Breeze

Thanks WCD. I've never seen them here, but I do know they grow here. Plus, if they grew in Montana, where I used to live then for sure they would grow in southern Alberta and southern B.C. They're a spring flower like tulips and daffodils.

I'll keep an eye out for them. Do they produce berries at all?

Traditionally, lily of the valley is sold in the streets of France and Switzerland on May 1.

Usually you offer your partner, boyfriend or gilrfriend a sprig of lily to express your love.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the "language of flowers", the lily of the valley signifies the return of happiness.

It's what I wish to all of you, in this wonderful evening of a sunny Sunday.

Legend tells of the affection of a lily of the valley for a nightingale that did not come back to the woods until the flower bloomed in May. What a nice legend :great:

Do you know if there's any other day's where you offer your lover specific flowers, for specific reasons? Thanks.