I'm new- how does Author status work

I;m new to GA and want to figure something out. How does this work? I see: 1. Hosted Authors, 2. Promising Authors, and 3. just Author. Apparently that is the hierarchy of this site.

I thought maybe it was according to the story count or those brownie point system (green/red buttons or gold starts) but that cant be it.

Some “Authors” have huge green points but only a few number or stories. Others have 15-20 stories and not a heck of a lot of green points. And the replies are all over the place.

This is so very odd- there are some stories by the Hosted Authors that are not that great (I’m being polite) and there are others in the just Authors that are really good (purchase the printed copy good)

I’m not a writer and in now way do I want to be but I am a very avid reader. If someone could explain this. Do the plain Authors move up in the food chain and if so if the Hosted Auhtors put out a crappy pieced do they get knocked down to Promising Author or just plain Author?

Really curious. Hope someone explains.

• Like 1

LOL

hello

Well let me see if I can help you out...

there is no hierarchy and other people will both agree and disagree, but everyone pretty much starts out a reader. If they wish to submit something to GA Stories they become an "author". Anyone can do this -- good, bad... well you get the idea.

Now, we have something called the Writer Support Team. It is comprised of various people picked for their diversity. Some are visible and some are not so visible but all of them are readers, avid readers, and they help pick through who is good and who is not so good. From those who are "good" the promising authors are chosen on their own merit. There is a list of qualifications in the FAQ. Some are intangible so you can't just use it as a checklist and say give me my promising tag now. Same for the hosted authors.

As for a "not so great" story by a hosted author, well we all have our off years.

Now for the rep system (those +/-) they are primarily in place to help us moderate GA Stories. It's all explained in the FAQ. We just moved to this system earlier this year and the majority of our hosted authors predate that move, so many of them do not have high reps. Many of them do not need to be moderated in the system so they don't give a hoot about the reps, and some, like me, lose more points than they gain between times that stories are posted, so what's the point in worrying about the stinking things?

I hope I made it clear now that there is no food chain. That all stories are equal in the eyes of Myr. And if you really want to read some good stories, check out the Anthologies and Peer review.

Lugh

who happens to be hosted

with one hell of an editing staff

and who needs it.

• Like 1

Lugh pretty much covered it all,

but i just want to point out that you need at least five posts to enjoy the full features of the site. :P

I have more than 5 posts but I'm not in any way enjoying any full features!! :,(

I'm so confused here it sucks -_- or maybe I do!! :wacko:

Edited by peerless

I have more than 5 posts but I'm not in any way enjoying any full features!! :,(

LOL

Don't worry. It took me three months to figure out how to navigate here and get cosy. Now that I feel I know all the dark corners of this site too I'm happy with all features. I use most of them and find them easy to work with. You can always ask around how this and that works just like ceelow did with the author status question in this thread.

Feel free to pull my sleeve if you need any help :D

If I don't know how to help, I can always point you to the direction than can do it better.

Enjoy the site! Give it time, take it as an adventure :P

• Site Moderator

Now that you have your five posts, you are able to use the PM system to send messages and access the Sneak Preview forum. If your an author, you can now purchase (free) an Authors tag.

we have a series of FAQs that help you get started with the various features, they are listed under site help.

For example one of them is called Community: Forums and it explains the various ins and outs of the forums.

There is one for each of the features, although to be honest, some are more informative than others. They are a work in progress as people ask questions, the more commonly asked ones go there.