Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Father's Day

It's officially Father's Day here in the US. I'm lucky this year, as I'm actually visiting my father. I continue to be amazed at what a strong bond that is, the father-son bond, both when I experience it with my son, and when I experience it with my own father. There really isn't anything I wouldn't do for either of them.

I know that not everyone has a positive father-son relationship (especially the ladies here Posted Image), but I hope that those of you that do truly take some time to enjoy it today. I hope that those of you who don't have a positive relationship will not give up hope, and not give up trying to have one. I find that the male students who seek out a more personal bond with me (I'm not talking about that kind of personal bond...I'm talking about a friendship/professional bond), where they are looking for guidance and approval, are often those men who have lost their fathers, or have terrible relationships with them. I think that paternal male bonding is such a strong, primal force within us, that when it is lacking, we seek surrogates. Maybe you can find a surrogate, or be one. Something to ponder.

Have a great day!

I don’t have a relationship with my father. He walked out on our mother when my brother and I were a few months old. He missed every important milestone in our lives: first tooth, driving car, graduation, weddings and kids. It was his choice, not to be part of our life.

Now that I’m a father, his decision is even harder to understand. My kid is my universe. I can’t imagine missing a single moment of her life. My father taught me the kind of parent that I don’t want to be...I don't want to miss a single day of her life!

I don't have a father, and I don't plan on becoming one, so Father's Day is somewhat meaningless to me. Still, it's great to see people who do have that kind of relationship with their dad.

I find that the male students who seek out a more personal bond with me (I'm not talking about that kind of personal bond...I'm talking about a friendship/professional bond), where they are looking for guidance and approval, are often those men who have lost their fathers, or have terrible relationships with them

I tried having you as a surrogate dad, but then I realized you were more like the zany young uncle I never had. You're a little too young to be a dad to me.

I don’t have a relationship with my father. He walked out on our mother when my brother and I were a few months old. He missed every important milestone in our lives: first tooth, driving car, graduation, weddings and kids. It was his choice, not to be part of our life.

Now that I’m a father, his decision is even harder to understand. My kid is my universe. I can’t imagine missing a single moment of her life. My father taught me the kind of parent that I don’t want to be...I don't want to miss a single day of her life!

Sometimes we learn the most from our mistakes, or the mistakes of the people around us. I'm happy that you have such a good relationship with your daughter. That's awesome.

I don't have a father, and I don't plan on becoming one, so Father's Day is somewhat meaningless to me. Still, it's great to see people who do have that kind of relationship with their dad.

I tried having you as a surrogate dad, but then I realized you were more like the zany young uncle I never had. You're a little too young to be a dad to me.

Yeah, the zany uncle that keeps wanting you to sit on his lap. Posted Image

I did indeed have a great Father's Day with my son biking on a rail trail with lunch in Woods Hole. :2thumbs: We had lots of opportunity for talking and joking. I had some difficulty in keeping up with his pace, but he went easy on me. He is in three spin classes a week.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll find you're dad (or someone who is looking for you and who completes your picture of him). Reach out ...

yes, for a lot of people kids changes their thinking and behaviour. Even as a donor it changed my life and vision of life permanently.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..