Interview tips

Y_B

I'm graduating soon and have a good interview lineup coming.

Question for any recruiters or hiring managers here:

Do you guys have any personal insight from the other side of the table? If not, it's cool. I'm a fairly decent interviewer and know the usuals but any tips and bits help, especially little things that you're particular about. Hopefully I won't have to resort to sucking the guy's dlck (and I totally would) (jk)

Question for those of you employed:

What's your game? Meaning, what's something you've done that you feel is a good strategy? Did you just follow the usual procedure of studying up the company/job and go do your best or was there something you did that was usual but in a good way? A buddy of mine has this thing against email communication, he straight up cold calls, every time.

More info: I'm looking in the field of corporate finance or wealth management.

Edited by Yang Bang

The recruiter will most likely want to know why you're interested in joining their business so have a good look at the business's website so you understand what they do and how they do it, and see if you can find something or things that attract you to them so you can show yourself as well-informed about what they do. Better than saying "I want a job, something that pays well with lots of paid holiday healthcare - by the way what do you do exactly?" :)

Also being well-presented helps (clothes, haircut, clean shoes etc) and get there 15 mins before time so you've plenty of time to clear Reception, sit down and calm your heart rate :)

• Like 2

The recruiter will most likely want to know why you're interested in joining their business so have a good look at the business's website so you understand what they do and how they do it, and see if you can find something or things that attract you to them so you can show yourself as well-informed about what they do. Better than saying "I want a job, something that pays well with lots of paid holiday healthcare - by the way what do you do exactly?" Posted Image

Also being well-presented helps (clothes, haircut, clean shoes etc) and get there 15 mins before time so you've plenty of time to clear Reception, sit down and calm your heart rate Posted Image

Indeed Posted Image very good advice

I've decided to expand my question a bit though because I'm actually interest in more particulars

Edited by Yang Bang

Funny you should ask - I just got done hiring a replacement for my department so I just spent time interviewing several people. And I'm in banking too!

Couple of tips I can give you from the other side of the table, don't be afraid to take a few seconds to formulate your thoughts on the hard questions. I'd much rather have someone pause for a few moments and give me a well thought out response than for someone to just start rambling on trying to cover their nervousness. Don't just sit there in silence though, but instead say something like That's a good question, let me think about that for a moment.

Look for ways you can show the manager what you can do for the company, department, etc. in your answers. Don't just answer that you are energetic, but reply that you are eager to dive into projects and make a difference. Telling me you're a hard worker is nice, but if you back it up by telling me how you spent x number of hours to finish a job, assignment, group project, whatever ontime and before the deadline shows me you can back up your claims. Telling me you are eager to learn is fine, but telling me you scour the Wallstreet, Forbes, etc for trends shows me you are serious. I'm sure you get the picture.

Be prepared to be in a group interview too. These days it's much more common for the manager to have another dept head, trusted staff member, HR rep, etc in the room with you. And they are all going to be firing questions at you so try not to let it rattle you. And since it's pretty common to have multiple people in the room interviewing make sure to bring several extra copies of your resume. More than likely they will already have made copies, but it shows you anticipate problems if you have copies ready for them. And by the way, don't forget the influence the receptionist has in your overall interview too. I usually do ask the staff in the waiting area for their impressions about my outside canidates who come in to interview.

There's also a ton of little things that are mentioned in all the interview tip sites that are still true. Be prepared to ask a few questions about the company and position. Don't be afraid to ask why the position is open - department expanding or did someone leave. Be well groomed, dress professionally, if you wear cologne make it sublte. Turn off your cell phone before you even enter the building. Get there a few minutes early, but try to avoid getting there too early since that puts pressure on the interviewer to meet with you and you don't want them feeling harrassed. Even though you have given them a resume, still be prepared to complete a job application so have all the usual info ready just in case including references and their info.

The final tip I can give you, follow up your interview with a thank you note or email!

Good Luck!

• Like 1

My job I have now... man the interview process was something... do as the others have said and I want to make a note of body language too. Be relax, don't sit too stiff and rigid. Be yourself, but don't be too comfortable. The job I have now had 20 candidates. (I've only worked there since September as a fresh graduate too!) I was told 5 of the candidates were from ivy league schools after I was hired (no names though just a word of passing)... anyway I came from a state school and that surprised me. But I was told, it was my demeanor and relaxed feel that I gave off that they instantly liked me. They felt I was easy to talk to and that I was talkative and responsive.

I made the mental note to sit relaxed in a straight position and never fold my arms. Open posure and arms = friendly nature. I had a smile on... really I just pretended it was a conversation with one of my friends about a very serious topic. So be yourself and be aware. Don't be too nervous... everyone is nervous and if the interviewers aren't nervous why should you be.

I had my first interview on an early Monday morning with the Hiring manager. When the interview was done, she asked me if I had time for a second interview. I said yes. Not realising she meant right then. As in directly after her interview. Of course not having a job, where else was I going to go? So I had a second interview and it was with two managers within the department I was going to work for and I maintained the friendly, calm, and polite demeanor... and got an instant third interview in which I was interviewed by my peers (another two folks of whom I would now be sharing the same postion).

They all said it was my relaxed and yet confident attitude, but I was nervous as heck! I just kept mentally telling myself calm down, speak from experience. Lace in a relevant story from personal experience and I wowed them. Yes, asking questions about the company or firm you're going to join helps a lot. I did that and two of my questions I asked, my interviewers didn't have an answer to off the top of their heads, which they said impressed them. Don't be too arrogant though. Just be confident and smile. A lot. A friendly face is much better than a stressed, blank, panic-strickened, or arrogant face. :D

• Like 1

Hahaha I like group interviews for the reason that seeing others being fidgety and nervous calms me. I always get the impression that my peers fly by interviews with ease and do it perfectly, it's nice to see that we're all human!

• Site Administrator

Don't be the flippant Yang Bang you like to show here. Be the serious but humorous Yang some of us have seen behind the scenes. Very much what Mark mentions. You've been given a large amount of very helpful tips, though if you're going to go with James' make sure you use minty flavored liquor :P Other than that, I don't think there is too much I can add, except good luck.

Interviewers have 'stock questions' they ask everyone. For instance: What can you bring to the job? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What is your biggest weakness? Be prepared to answer these questions in a way that doesn't seem like you memorized the answer!! Interviews are annoying because you have to puff out your chest to seem willing and able, and competent so if you aren't big into praising your abilities, start doing so now.

The last question I posted is a way you can make a fault into a good quality. I had to serve as a reference for an assistant and they asked that very question and I said, "Well, so-and-so is extremely thorough which means she likes to take her time and make sure she's doing the job right."

Chances are, most interviewers are bored with interviewing, so it's always nice to ask questions and get their minds active. Sometimes if you ask the right question, you can ingratiate yourself to their good side, this works even better if the person who is interviewing you is your potential boss. Some jobs have you interview with several people in the office; obviously, try to impress them all, ESPECIALLY the office assistant.

Don't apologize for sucking at an interview. If you don't know the answer to a question, don't fake it; own up to it. Don't backpedal, and don't repeat things you've mentioned before. Do NOT get defensive if they ask you questions. Don't fake enthusiasm, interviewers can generally see through that. Find nice ways to segue through the interview process to drop in things you're good at. Don't use your resume as a checklist of things to talk about unless they ask first. Sculpt your resume for the job you're applying for.

From the employer's side of things, I tend to hire people I get good energy from and someone I would have to train once and who would need little to no prompting. I've had my share of awful assistants (all work study) and some amazing ones that I would refer instantly if they needed it. The employer/employee relationship is very symbiotic which entails a lot of give and take. They are there to make your life easier, but they aren't punching bags or someone you can blame if things go south.

Hope that's helpful.

lb.

• Like 1

^ Great response. Thanks.

A big problem I use to have (still do kinda) was that I never asked questions because i was so focused on what my own responses would be to their questions I don't come up with my own to ask or things I'm wondering about that's not clear. I think I'm much better at it now.

By the way I found this little dialogue online of Andy Bernard's interview. Y'all watch The Office? This was from one of the first few seasons....I love Andy, he's one of my favs

Dwight: I am going to begin this process with a simple test of intelligence and mental dexterity. What is the best color?

Andy: White, because it contains all other colors.

Dwight: Wrong. Black. It is the most dominant. How do you make a table?

Andy: You make a chair, but you don't sit on it.

Dwight: What is the capital of Maine?

Andy: The capital of Maine is Montpelier, Vermont, which is near Ithaca, New York, where I went to Cornell.

Dwight: Okay, also, moratorium on Cornell talk. Don't wanna hear about it. Forget your personal history, and learn the history of this company.

Andy: Should not be a problem. I minored in history in the Ivy League school which I attended.

Dwight: You're not off to a very good start, Bernard.

Andy: I agree. But in another way, I am off to a very good start, wouldn't you say?

Posted Image

Edited by Yang Bang

though if you're going to go with James' make sure you use minty flavored liquor Posted Image

Speaking of drinking, supposedly alcoholism is covered under Americans with Disabilities. Maybe if I show up intoxicated, they'll have to hire me or it'll be a disability discrimination! :) :)

Try commenting on the sexual prowess of the senior director's wife and suggest that the press might be interested in what she is able to do with a bottle of brandy and a strawberry. Of course you need first to ensure the the senior directior HAS a wife, especially if it's a woman.

• Like 1

start your own company Posted Image .

You will not need to respond to a job interview Posted Image .

BTW, about job interview, see my own story, in chapter 8 (a new job)Posted Image .

Hahaha been there, failed.

3 years ago I did a Amazon thing where I flipped a lotta goods for profit but eventually Amazon caught on to sometime I wasn't suppose to have done and suspended my account...they are uptiiiiiiight. I also tried to open my own happy hour at my apt but didn't get enough clientele and it's also illegal.....so in a final desperate attempt at my own "business" I tried to prostitute myself but it turns out I'm a pretty ugly dude so no one was willing to pay for my services......man....thinking about all that is getting me depressed...I need a drink Posted Image

Maybe I should just day trade for a living.

PS I'll be sure to check our your chapter

Edited by Yang Bang

Take a pen, so you're self-sufficient. Wear a watch, but don't look at it, unless someone asks what time it is, so you can be helpful. If you normally read the Wall Street Journal, scour it for articles specifically relevant to that company's business. Be prepared to discuss. Same for other publications. Lots of people can do "the job." Not many can relate it to what's going on in the outside world. Think big picture.

When you talk about yourself, make it relevant to the discussion. Leave out the reenactment last year of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, unless you met a financier who provided serious insight into an issue that comes up in the interview. Play down the party boy image. They know you went to UT.

Body language: look at your hands. What are they doing? Are they flitting around like butterflies in heat? Clenching into white-knuckled catatonia? If your hands and feet are relaxed, the rest of your body can follow.

A good interview is FUN. It's an exchange of ideas and philosophies with friendly and interesting people, and you are one of them.

Best of luck, Yang. You should do just fine.

• Like 1

Had a phone interview with Northwestern Mutual earlier this morning. I think it went well, lasted about 40 minutes and we had a pretty good conversation going towards the end. Rustle, I kept in mind what you said that interviews should be fun. It helped calm my nerves a little when I tried to think of it more casually but keeping the professional context. They wanna bring me in for more specific talk at a later date so we can chat about details, salary and whatnot. It's a financial advisor position which I should learn a lot from and start building a clientele. I'm wondering how much opportunity for growth this position will allow...

Anyways, I got Yelp, Abercrombie and Fitch, and JP Morgan (This is the one I really want) coming up next.

Wish me luck

Congratulations on the interview going so well! It is very encouraging that they want to bring you in to talk more details. I know a lot of people think phone interviews are easy, but I sometimes think they are even harder than the face to face ones since you have to carry the entire impression with just how you are speaking. So way to go on wowing them enough that they want to go that next step! Posted Image Lots of luck on all of the other interviews too!!

Congratulations on the interview going so well! It is very encouraging that they want to bring you in to talk more details. I know a lot of people think phone interviews are easy, but I sometimes think they are even harder than the face to face ones since you have to carry the entire impression with just how you are speaking. So way to go on wowing them enough that they want to go that next step! Posted Image Lots of luck on all of the other interviews too!!

Thanks Greg!!

My phone sex days are paying off!

Posted Image

• Like 1

Has that been you on the other end of the line all these years? I wondered who that was!

Posted Image

Yessirrrr

You know the other day you cut off about halfway through and didn't answer the phone again...what's the deal man? wife walked in? or guyfe?

• Site Administrator

Phone calls as an easy way to judge a person, actually. Tone, inflection, word choice, ability to follow a conversation are all indicators of the type of mind you have without them being distracted by anything in person. Saves them time and you a commute. Honestly, it's an invaluable first screening when the companies aren't doing group interviews.

Question though, did you keep a notepad handy for key points of the conversation? It's not quite the same thing but when I worked in an office and had sales calls or talks with contractors I often kept a notebook running with key points of the conversation so I could refer back to what I spoke of and guarantee that I wasn't repeating myself or getting locked into any one aspect of the conversation. Keep it moving was always vital. Often, if I knew the call was coming or I was making it, I'd write down things as bulletin points before I ever started the convo so I had a guideline to work off of.

Oh, and Yang and Greg... you two are so alike. Weirdos! *snickers*

Phone calls as an easy way to judge a person, actually. Tone, inflection, word choice, ability to follow a conversation are all indicators of the type of mind you have without them being distracted by anything in person. Saves them time and you a commute. Honestly, it's an invaluable first screening when the companies aren't doing group interviews.

Question though, did you keep a notepad handy for key points of the conversation? It's not quite the same thing but when I worked in an office and had sales calls or talks with contractors I often kept a notebook running with key points of the conversation so I could refer back to what I spoke of and guarantee that I wasn't repeating myself or getting locked into any one aspect of the conversation. Keep it moving was always vital. Often, if I knew the call was coming or I was making it, I'd write down things as bulletin points before I ever started the convo so I had a guideline to work off of.

Oh, and Yang and Greg... you two are so alike. Weirdos! *snickers*

I agree. And phone conversations add multiple dimensions to what written communication lack. I think it's why a lot of people sometimes prefer texting to calling because it is more impersonal and monotonous which eliminates potential awkwardness. Sometimes I do like emailing when I'd rather not speak to whoever I need to talk to, for whatever reason. But yea you do get to know a person fairly well on the phone.

I did have something to write on! :) I had a notebook that I grabbed beforehand and wrote down whatever I thought was important, like her answers to my questions and a few names. My last internship had me dealing a lot with client & customer relations and I became great at scribbling down whatever I could when on the phone...names, #s, dates, needs, w/e....I woulda been completely incapable of doing my job without my notes....however, those scribbles pretty much only make sense to me because I'm a weirdo like you said and nothing follows any order, logic, or rationale. My supervisor never knew what to make of my notebook. I mean I knew exactly what's in them but whenever I needed to hand it off, ppl thought I was on crack. I loved that. It's a great way of keeping a written account of discreet msg you don't want others to know. ;)