Any one celebrating Titanic 100th anniversary?

hh5

There's

* TITANIC 3D 2012

* 100th Anniversary Cruize - only 1309 passengers will be allowed

Titanic Universe - titanic-100-year-anniversary-cruise-to-set-sail-in-2012

The cruise liner Balmoral will make the historic journey with 1,309 paying

passengers - the same number that sailed on the fateful Titanic voyage. They

will enjoy an entirely Titanic themed cruise on a voyage that will be a new

chapter in the Titanic story.

There is a comparison of the two ships ... lol

Will it be a safe voyage??

Who will be the next Jack Dawson and Rose of this voyage?

Will it be Shakespearean romanticism?

I hear there will be two ships one from uk going to the usa and one from the usa going to the uk.

Any one celebrating this one time event?

Cameron wants to make a couple hundred million on the re-release.

As far as maritime disasters go, Titanic may be famous and get all the good press, there have been plenty of them with many, many lives lost. Here are a few that may not have been as famous.

Posted Image

On 7 May 1915 the German U-20 torpedoed and Sank the RMS Lusitania. She sank in less than 18 minutes and took 1,198 of the 1,959 souls on board with her. She sank 11 miles short of Kinsdale, Ireland where corpses of men, women and children floated ashore by the hundreds for days. It was a public relations disaster for Germany. It was such an atrocity that the sinking contributed mightily to the United States entering the war.

Posted Image

HMS Invincible was a new breed of warship when she was launched in 1905. She was quite different from than the heavily armored and slow battleships of the day. She was a battle cruiser- a design that trades armor for speed with the same armament of a battleship. Invincible paid a heavy price for having light armor. At the Battle of Jutland on May 30, 1916 she was hit by high caliber shells from the German battle cruisers Lutzow and Derfflinger and her magazines exploded. 1026 men were killed and there were only six survivors. In addition to Invincible, the battle cruisers Queen Mary and Indefatigable had magazine explosions and sank with heavy loss of life (over 2000) leading Admiral Beatty to utter the famous line: "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today."

Posted Image

On Oct. 14, 1939 the German U boat ace Gunther Prien in the U-47 penetrated the fleet base at Scapa Flow and sank the British battleship Royal Oak as she sat at anchor. It was the first major warship lost by the Brits in WWII an a horrible blow to morale. 833 sailors were killed including a group of 100 trainees who were not yet 18 years old.

Posted ImageGun camera footage from HIMS Aboa shelling the USS Quincy.

In the early morning hours of Aug. 9, 1942 a fleet of US cruisers and destroyers were protecting the transports that were landing the 1st Marine Division on the island of Guadalcanal- the first US offensive of the Pacific war. Japan responded by sending a task force of cruisers and destroyers that arrived around 0100 and caught the US/Australian fleet completely by surprise. The Japanese were able to close range and destroy the Astoria, Quincy and Vincennes and the Australian cruiser Canberra. The USS Chicago was heavily damaged. It was the worst beating the US navy ever took in a fair fight. Over a thousand US and Australian sailors were killed. The US Navy and War Department did not officially announce the loss until almost a year later. Many newspaper men at the time knew the truth but refused to print the story.

Yeah they did say the survivors and families of the disaster are invited to come.

They are only allowing 1309 passengers on the ship to simulate the same numbers as the disaster.

Travel the same route and make the same stops.

So many people can feel what it was like to be on the titanic.

Perhaps the same food and the music and ambiance will also be part of the celebration.

I wonder of they will have some actors to play the parts of the key opulent ppl that were on board.

Give the people the feelings of the three classes.

So I wonder who gets the be treated like third class citizens and realize that most of the deaths are from this class.

I don't think they will do the lifeboat thing. Perhaps they should to further give the feeling of that day.

But then I don't think the ship is design to take the boats back on.

I am not sure that the ship leaving NY to UK will simulate being the carpethia.

Thinking about sinking ships creep me out to no end. I won't even swim in the river near my house, in fact, I don't know how to swim.

Seeing that sinking ship on James' comment scares me.

-hides- NO PLS

• Like 1

I've been obsessed with this movie since i saw it at seven years old. My computer screen consists of pictures of titanc. Looks like I'll be having a titanic marathon tonight.

Titanic 3D is coming out in Apr 2012 ... you can have more fun seeing what its like in 3D ... I never been to a 3D Cameron movie ...

I saw Captain EO 3D - MJ could have made a TV series for kids out of that. It was so good to see a bit of his acting skills.

Soon there will be Titanic 3D trailers like how does one watch that on a 2D screen lol.

Oh there is an episode of Curiosity that explore more in detail of how the ship actually sank.

The movie is a nice story. Just like most of the others based off the Titanic tragedy.

Cameron's Titanic was in 1997. - sappy love story

Titanic in 1996 was a TV mini-series with a wild story line. - known for Tim Curry's character attacking and raping a stewardess.

In 1979 came S.O.S. Titanic - Cloris Leachman as Molly Brown

In 1968 was A Night to Remember -This is the one most historians agree is closest to the actual story. The Brits made this one.

In 1953 Titanic was released - A Selnick film starring Babara Stanwick, Clifton Webb, and Robert Wagner.

Got to also mention The Unsinkable Molly Brown - Debbie Reynolds in musical version of the life of Molly Brown.

I have seen all but the TV Mini Series - My father is a Titanic nut and has all of them on DVD. I know there are a few German versions as well but don't know them off hand.

• Like 1

Titanic the ship was my first true love, *starts laughing* actually seeing it in national geographic got me interested in ships, when i was in Elementary, i've probably read more about that ship over the last 20 years....

Other ship disasters: the Morro Castle, 1920's or 30's i recall, American ship burned while at sea many lost their lives either to the frigid Atlantic or the fire, The Ship was on the Cuba New york Run.

The Andrea Doria got ran into by the Swedish Ship the Stockholm, Capsized, 1950's

World War I, Titantic's Own Sister the Britannia, sunk by torpedo, was a hospital ship, near Turkey. Sank much faster, then the Titanic did. As mentioned the Lusitania, same war, and between England and Ireland, loss of American life a lot less then what it could have been. There was also the American Cruiser the Indianapolis, during World War II, the German oceanliners the Wilhelm Gustoff (which was actually one of the first real Cruise liners), in the Baltic , and the Cap Arcona, all three with heavy loss of life. Also the Empress of Ireland, and the Edmund Fitzgerald, are casualties of history both sunk right here in north America (litterally).

Really i don't like including warships in such listings simply because they usually were sunk doing their work in a time of war, Where as Ocean-liners are peace-time ships and usually are carrying people in a different fashion. Some of those ships were beauties and it makes one wonder if some of them had not sunk what the world would be like now...just because of the people who died on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shipwrecks

You also forgot "Raise the Titanic", every kids fantasy of raising a sunken ship.

Oh by the way there is a story about someone who built a submarine in NY as to salvage a sunken ocean liner in the 50s or 60s off the coast of new England.

Yeah I sort of love submarine and ship stories but then again blame Star Trek for that. Its something when you hear the word ship or boat that you wish to explore its meaning and its adventures.

The movie is a nice story. Just like most of the others based off the Titanic tragedy.

Cameron's Titanic was in 1997. - sappy love story

Titanic in 1996 was a TV mini-series with a wild story line. - known for Tim Curry's character attacking and raping a stewardess.

In 1979 came S.O.S. Titanic - Cloris Leachman as Molly Brown

In 1968 was A Night to Remember -This is the one most historians agree is closest to the actual story. The Brits made this one.

In 1953 Titanic was released - A Selnick film starring Babara Stanwick, Clifton Webb, and Robert Wagner.

Got to also mention The Unsinkable Molly Brown - Debbie Reynolds in musical version of the life of Molly Brown.

I have seen all but the TV Mini Series - My father is a Titanic nut and has all of them on DVD. I know there are a few German versions as well but don't know them off hand.

You also forgot "Raise the Titanic", every kids fantasy of raising a sunken ship.

Oh by the way there is a story about someone who built a submarine in NY as to salvage a sunken ocean liner in the 50s or 60s off the coast of new England.

Yeah I sort of love submarine and ship stories but then again blame Star Trek for that. Its something when you hear the word ship or boat that you wish to explore its meaning and its adventures.

That was originally a book written in the early 80's late 70's before they actually found the Titanic, by Clive Cussler. Creator of the Dirk Pitt Adventures, and the Real life NUMA who happens to be one of my favorite authors....the book ended differently from the movie... i do believe that book in middle school was what got me started like his books too...i was obsessed with Titanic Back then... wow....it was about 18 years ago that i was in middle school... I agree, but love of ships is probably as old as ships themselves....i mean kids used to play Pirates before there was a Star Trek and actually i was fascinated with Titanic before i ever saw my first Star Trek, though tng was the reason i like space ships...

In some ways i kind of wish they could bring the old girl back up to the surface....Though it' would be easier and kinder to bring up her sister ship...(though not by much.)

In some ways i kind of wish they could bring the old girl back up to the surface....Though it' would be easier and kinder to bring up her sister ship...(though not by much.)

Yeah to find out she is in pieces ... raising the sister ship is better ... too bad they not think of doing it ... what is her condition?

Yeah to find out she is in pieces ... raising the sister ship is better ... too bad they not think of doing it ... what is her condition?

Titanic...or Britannic, Titanic is going to pieces...time and her visitors have have actually taken a sever tole on her remains.

Britannic as i recall is also missing part of her bow. From Wikipedia--->

The wreck of HMHS Britannic is at Posted Image37°42′05′N 24°17′02′E in about 400 ft (120 m) of water. It was first discovered and explored by Jacques Cousteau in 1975.[6] In 1976, he expressed the opinion that the ship had been sunk by a single torpedo, basing this opinion on the damage to her plates.[7] The giant liner lies on her starboard side hiding the zone of impact with the mine. There is a huge hole just beneath the forward well deck. The bow is attached to the rest of the hull only by some pieces of the B-deck.

Titanic...or Britannic, Titanic is going to pieces...time and her visitors have have actually taken a sever tole on her remains.

Britannic as i recall is also missing part of her bow. From Wikipedia--->

The wreck of HMHS Britannic is at Posted Image37°42′05′N 24°17′02′E in about 400 ft (120 m) of water. It was first discovered and explored by Jacques Cousteau in 1975.[6] In 1976, he expressed the opinion that the ship had been sunk by a single torpedo, basing this opinion on the damage to her plates.[7] The giant liner lies on her starboard side hiding the zone of impact with the mine. There is a huge hole just beneath the forward well deck. The bow is attached to the rest of the hull only by some pieces of the B-deck.

Yeah, I think maybe there was either a movie on the Britannic or at least a nice history read I found once on her. It sure did hurt the White Star Line original plans of getting rich in the tourist industry. It show that the mud kept the ship from deteriorating compared to exposure to the elements of the deep. If you saw the episode of Curiosity. It showed how much the pressures of the sinking structurally broke titanic in many ways. The designers of its day said she can withstand a lot but truly we found out they didn't build a ship that can be unsinkable.

Makes me think of Molly Brown is more of a goddess for the courage she shown that night.

well it seems when ever we have said: The ship is unsinkable, or this building is indestructable and so on we've always been proven wrong usually by nature it's self. The price of human huberous, and the consqiuences are always tragic. Worst Part is actually White Star never actually stated that it was unsinkable, it was British Newpapers at the time, the media.

You do know that there are people who love to recreate the day of Titanic ... what would happen if they were let lose on this 100yr voyage? How would the relative\survivors feel about it?

Pity this is coming from the wrong hemisphere ... but if it came from the north this would have been a re-enactment of titanic

Manhattan-size iceberg set to break away from Antarctica

Last month, as part of a project to survey polar ice, NASA flew over Antarctica and made a mammoth discovery: a growing crack in the Pine Island glacier wide enough to fit a 26-story building.

The crack measures 18 miles long, and appears to go as deep as sea level. Within a matter of weeks, scientists predict the massive block of ice will break off into an iceberg the size of New York City.

2 massive icebergs headed for Grand Banks

An iceberg expert says there's a slim chance two gigantic islands of ice drifting south from the Arctic could reach Newfoundland's Grand Banks as early as August.

Luc Desjardins, a senior forecaster with the Canadian Ice Service, says the icebergs have a long way to go and they could break up or get stuck in some Arctic bay in the months ahead.

There was a movie called Titanic 2, a syfy movie ... a very large iceburg like the Manhattan one above his this new Titanic that was made for the 100th anniversary ... i guess this movie discourage anyone from actually making a replica Titanic with new features.

Real footage

Up to 8000 euros.....nice.

lol that much?? ... well I hope that one gets to taste the luxury of 100 years ago ... not ask for wendy's hamburger

I guess it cost that much to include not to sink lol

Yeah I found a short detailed wikki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replica_Titanic

It was proposed in June2000 in Belfast and the idea was scraped in 2006 n condemned by the last survivor. They did a feasibility study and the issues was the life boats and the use of wood and the new laws then came cost overruns.

It would have been a great idea ... but people didn't think so at the time ... but as we can see that the cruises that are hoping on the idea of the centennial is sold out or selling out.

Found Centennial Tribute

*tries to figure out what the mandate is now for ships instead of real wood* plastic wood which burns faster and more disasterously ...? The problem with having boats lower on the ship, it makes the ship less sea worthy, i have seen modern Ocean liners and have thought repeadtly 1 tsunami would take them down, they're top heavy clunkers... which is something i can not see a tsunami doing to ships even as late as the QE2. Another problem is lower to the water, faster it'll be underwater in the case of say a Andrea Doria Senario, and still leaving the top ones unable to move off the ship...

cool tribute though ^_^

So is there is no way of making a hybrid Titanic ... darken the windows ... make the rough shape ... the show of life boats as decoration ... hide the modern ones ... its sort of a hybrid idea with the movie Titanic 2.

I guess what you say ... the old designs are scraped ... impractical ... so you explained why its just occasion to celebrate.

But the enthusiast would still love to have a replica ...