Geeks and Gay: anyone else?

W_L

I went to a small enough school where labels didn't exist. However, if anyone had been out as gay, I have no doubt that label would have been used. There were jocks, band members, smart people, gamers, and all the rest of the tribes you could think of, but everyone mixed with each other so much that no one was placed into just one group and no one was pressured to just stay with their preceived group. I believe that experience broaden my social skills; because, I feel comfortable talking and interacting with people from all walks of life because of it.

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but personally I use the word geek or nerd about a person who is overly interested in one thing and has little knowledge of other stuff.

So maybe computer nerds are the type of nerd that most of us classify as geeks, but there are so many others out there that have things that are a bit geeky (I knew a kid that could recite train tables, handy).

I don't think I am geeky, because I like loads of different things. I do think I can label myself as anitsocial though... not that I will let that label constrict me in any way.

I find it amazing that most humans have this need to follow, and I see it as the basis of most of societys problems. It's fear of rejection that overrides their better judgement, and to me this is one of the saddest circumstances I will have to deal with my entire life. I can only be thankful that I am not a part of it.

I understand what you're saying, ghostboy, and if a person falls into groupthink because of fear of rejection, that is a bad thing, for the individual and for the culture at large.

Along with that, I have to add that most people who know me will tell you that I'm very much an individual. Most of them would probably say they haven't met anyone quite like me. And most of them would add, "Thank God."

My take on the "herd" thing is somewhat different than yours, though. Not that I don't have a misanthropic streak--it comes out in the winter, especially, lol--but in my view, it's not always the case that people cluster in "herds" so as to be mindless followers. Some of the herding behaviors you see in human beings are simply expressions of the fact that we're social animals. And I think that's okay.

Is there a dark side to herd mentality? Oh, absolutely. Think Third Reich Germany...or comic book conventions. Posted Image And it's not my intent to speak ill of "lone wolves." But when people choose to bunch together, it's not inevitably a bad thing, and can in fact be a force for good, both for group itself and for those outside the group, depending on the thing that brings the group together.

lets see;

first computer was a commodore 64 (tape drive)

first version of windows was 3.1, running on dos

ive used mac's back when you had to mount a disk

ive used linux without a gui (yuck!)

i remember netscape!

ive been to bletchley & kennedy space center

i train IT, have various MS certifications, training certifications, & qualifications in accounting

oh, & i have an IQ of 132 (98th percentile)

[Atypical Autism / PDD-NOS]

(where are all the gay&geek stories, why are so many stories about 'jocks'?)

I don't know if a high iq makes one a geek or that athleticism makes one a jock. In fact I contend that it doesn't. This feels like sterotyping, herding people into nice little groups. I like to think I was a smart athlete that loved the outdoors and a good book. I didn't have a 180 iq, but I would not be ashamed to compare with anyone here or anywhere else. I do lack experience and college training. However, I don't feel the need to put myself or allow anyone to place me in a nice little box called a group. I don't have a problem if others feel the need to belong to a group. That's fine with me. Nor do I have a problem with those that choose not to belong. I myself, like to move in and out of most groups. I respect people as they are and I don't feel a need to label them. Perhaps it's because of the enviroment and experiences I had as a youth, like walking through Saint Jude's Hospital and other cancer centers for children that caused me more than anything else to see each person as an individual and not as a member of some group.

lets see;

first computer was a commodore 64 (tape drive)

first version of windows was 3.1, running on dos

ive used mac's back when you had to mount a disk

ive used linux without a gui (yuck!)

i remember netscape!

ive been to bletchley & kennedy space center

i train IT, have various MS certifications, training certifications, & qualifications in accounting

oh, & i have an IQ of 132 (98th percentile)

[Atypical Autism / PDD-NOS]

(where are all the gay&geek stories, why are so many stories about 'jocks'?)

I remember all that

When I was 5, my dad got one of those old Wang computers, I don't know where he got it, probably either the dissolution of the company or something, it was 1992, so probably companies were getting rid of it. The thing was a useless paper weight and I personally wanted to play carmen san diego on the old Mac like my friends.

Do you remember the old sites like Lycos with their puppy mascot. I miss the 90's.

My last IQ score was around 140, about 143 at age 15, but I don't really care about IQ that much. (My teachers say I lack focus or interest. Though none of the ADHD tests ever showed any signs of issue, so they thought I just don't apply myself, which is pretty true as I didn't care much about school work or projects.)

Ok, so I re-read over most of the responses and something was a bit disturbing, and it's how quite a few people have so comfortably admitted they're geeks or an outcast or whatnot. I don't know about you, but "geek" or "freak" is nothing short of a derogatory term and label and I think all of you recognize it. I have a hard time understanding why anybody would so easily and comfortably want to wear that around as if it's something to be proud of. Now, if you say you're a somewhat "geeky", that's fine, because most of us are, and as for myself, I admit I'm dorky all the time because we all are, but it's just silly to flat out say "oh I know I'm a huge loser". There is a difference, and to me, the latter bit crosses the line from being modest to having subconscious insecurity and self-disrespect.

And as a few have already pointed out, the whole idea of classifying one as a "geek" or "jock" treads right along labeling and stereotyping and placing people into little boxes where they don't belong. If you like computers, aren't athletic, wear glasses or whatever it is that makes you think you're a "geek", no judgements, it's your life, but there is nothing impressive about saying stuff like "I'm definitely a nerdy ass geek to the first degreed ordered".

• Like 1

Ok, so I re-read over most of the responses and something was a bit disturbing, and it's how quite a few people have so comfortably admitted they're geeks or an outcast or whatnot. I don't know about you, but "geek" or "freak" is nothing short of a derogatory term and label and I think all of you recognize it. Why the hell would anybody so easily and comfortably want to wear that around as if it's something to be proud of? Now, if you say you're a somewhat "geeky", that's fine, because most of us are, and as for myself, I admit I'm dorky all the time because we all are, but there is something disturbingly stupid to flat out say "oh I know I'm a huge loser". To me, this crosses the line of modesty and goes into subconscious insecurity and self-disrespect.

Also as a few have already pointed out, the whole idea of classifying one as a "geek" treads right along labeling and stereotyping and placing people into little boxes where they don't belong. If you like computers, aren't athletic, wear glasses or whatever it is that makes you think you're a "geek", okay whatever, it's your life, but you're more than those things. So stop calling yourself a geek, even if you're geeky, unless you really wanna stoop yourself.

Your from Texas

Your argument is invalid

Ok, so I re-read over most of the responses and something was a bit disturbing, and it's how quite a few people have so comfortably admitted they're geeks or an outcast or whatnot. I don't know about you, but "geek" or "freak" is nothing short of a derogatory term and label and I think all of you recognize it. I have a hard time understanding why anybody would so easily and comfortably want to wear that around as if it's something to be proud of. Now, if you say you're a somewhat "geeky", that's fine, because most of us are, and as for myself, I admit I'm dorky all the time because we all are, but it's just silly to flat out say "oh I know I'm a huge loser". There is a difference, and to me, the latter bit crosses the line from being modest to having subconscious insecurity and self-disrespect.

And as a few have already pointed out, the whole idea of classifying one as a "geek" or "jock" treads right along labeling and stereotyping and placing people into little boxes where they don't belong. If you like computers, aren't athletic, wear glasses or whatever it is that makes you think you're a "geek", no judgements, it's your life, but there is nothing impressive about saying stuff like "I'm definitely a nerdy ass geek to the first degreed ordered".

I live in an academic culture that reveres geekiness. Words like geek and nerd are positive things to many, possibly most people here, and certainly within my academic enclave.

I am extremely geeky and extremely nerdy, but I am not a loser. I have a social life. I have a love life. I have hobbies and a job and achievements. The subtext of "geek," then, varies culturally. Here, it is not considered to be a trait that excludes you from being a functioning member of society.

Good points Aber, I don't dispute how it is in the academic culture.

The thing about that is, like you've said, the positive perception of certain things remains exclusive in particular subcultures and generally speaking subcultures are small. Feeling like a big fish in a small pool can be gratifying, but unless you intend on remaining exclusively in that pool and never wanting to leave that comfort zone, I personally don't think it's a good idea to swim the same way everywhere you go. I don't mean that people should discard their identities and try to always conform to the flow of the general society. By all means, embrace who you like yourself to be. I'm just saying I don't think it's a bad idea to look at a bigger picture sometimes and try not to confine your identity to just one thing.

You're from UK

Your opinion is invalid

the UK

opinions are neither valid or invalid, as there is no way to validate them

people dont 'admit' to what they have no problems being called

why does being a geek make you an outcast? why is it a derogatory label?

is 'jock' the same? how about 'sports fan'?

the black community took control of the word 'nigger'

the lgbt community took control of the word 'queer'

geeks have taken control of the word 'geek'

"is nothing impressive about saying stuff like "I'm definitely a nerdy ass geek to the first degreed ordered"

scrap competitive sports then

"i was on the state championship winning team"

opinions are neither valid or invalid, as there is no way to validate them

Of course there is.

Opinions are thoughts. Thoughts based on logic and reasoning are valid. Bogus thoughts are invalid. Your thought was bogus. Hence, your opinion was invalid. Easy as pie Posted Image

people dont 'admit' to what they have no problems being called

why does being a geek make you an outcast? why is it a derogatory label?

is 'jock' the same? how about 'sports fan'?

the black community took control of the word 'nigger'

the lgbt community took control of the word 'queer'

geeks have taken control of the word 'geek'

I don't believe in taking control or owning up to a word that is only half directed at describing me and half directed at insulting me. There are plenty of ways I can own up to something that isn't so degenerative.

As much control as you'd like to believe people have taken to certain words, no black man would appreciate being referred to as a "nigger", I certainly have a problem with being called a "queer", and I'm not so inclined to hope many people would smile at being called a "geek". All 3 terms harbor derogatory intentions. Why should an overweight man have to accept being referred to as a "fat-ass" or why should a person of short stature have to accept being called a "midget"? That's not taking control, that's admitting defeat.

"Jock" has negative connotations to it as well, hence the common expression "dumb jock". However, what's different about "jock" is that despite its negative implications, the identity also signifies athleticism, physical prowess, sports, masculinity, etc which are universally favorable traits amongst men. Because of that, many have no problem being identified as such. However, based on my experiences and observations, many people who play sports are also very careful in that regard and will always refer to themselves as "athletes" rather than "jocks". The two can be interchangeable terms but with completely different subtexts and many athletes realize it. I've played sports all my life, I was a good athlete in school. I was not and am not a jock. Flipping it all around, if I were to have been a sort of brooding intellectual who excels with a computer and have read every book in the public library, I'd refer to myself as a "thinker" or "intellect", but not a "nerd". Do you kinda see where I'm going with this?

"sports fan". That's not relevant because it's not a specific term of reference for someone.

"is nothing impressive about saying stuff like "I'm definitely a nerdy ass geek to the first degreed ordered"

scrap competitive sports then

"i was on the state championship winning team"

To say you are a state champion in anything is an accomplishment, whether it be in sports or academics. I'd think whoever can make the statement will do so proudly. "I'm a super-nerd" is not an accomplishment. It's a term of reference. Once again, there is a difference between saying "I'm a huge nerd"and saying "I'm a champion programmer".

Is a descriptor's role not to identify? There'd be no purpose otherwise.

The full extent to "geek" ownership seems pretty comprehensive to me

I am tall. Is "tall" my identity? Should I choose to hang out predominantly with tall people?