GA Stories and the Big Screen

Billy Martin

Sorry I had to pick 2 hehe.

I'd choose The Ordinary Us by Dom Luka. The story is about a guy who couldn't admit that he's gay at first and try to change his sexual orientation which end up failed. This shows that gay is obviously is a nature. it's not only about that, I like the dramas in this story. A lot of dramas, like you couldn't wait or want to know what will happen next, humors and more Posted Image

and the other one would be Shane and Trey by AnytaSunday. It's enemies to lover story Posted Image and it's awesome to watch a story like that. Plus the story is awesome! Really really satisfying Posted Image

Edited by Audi

Small screen definitely Do-Over by DK (Not sure why no one has ever offered you TV producer rights, you're practically next door DK Posted Image ), but big screen, it's harder.

Most of the authors I like are long series writers, which is hard to break into a movie without compromising the characters and plot.

Graeme is probably the closest author I can think of in terms of his old stories, who's stories could work on the big screen in a sort of "Notebook" or "Walk to Remember" tradition. Graeme is a great author and captures the emotions of characters in unique ways that I think can carry over to Big Screen without losing development. I don't know how many people think like I do that New Brother can be big screen material.

And no I am not being paid to praise the moderator (Though he could bribe me with a new story)

• Like 1

I would really like to see Stefan Schmidt's Made in Heaven because of: It's Berlin setting, the film would of course have to be shot on location and extra points if they could speak in German. The subject its handling, mental and domestic abuse. And the well-rounded and very interesting characters, the bad guy is especially fascinating. It's also a thrilling story in which the excitement doesn't loses its grip on the reader/viewer and the story until the very last scene.

If it was finished I would have said Acedias' A New Life. Imagine the wonderful underwater pictures along with the slowly evolving plot. It has romance and mystery and interesting characters, good guys as well as bad guys - as it is now it would be a film with an open end - still worth watching I believe.

Very interesting topic. I believe quite a few stories could be turned into movies (The Ordinary Us would indeed make a good one, but so would quite a few others, including Sci-fi and vampire stories).

I agree with W_L:

Graeme is probably the closest author I can think of in terms of his old stories, who's stories could work on the big screen in a sort of "Notebook" or "Walk to Remember" tradition. Graeme is a great author and captures the emotions of characters in unique ways that I think can carry over to Big Screen without losing development. I don't know how many people think like I do that New Brother can be big screen material.

New Brother would have the potential to be a mainstream movie, likely to interest beyond the gay community, because there are all the elements of the gay coming of age story, but seen through the eyes of your average straight teenager.

Gone From Daylight could probably make an Showtime series.

Starz network, so we have Comsie can have more sexuality and cursing in the series :P

Posting this for those who have not yet read this story (like me Posted Image)...

I don't know how many people think like I do that New Brother can be big screen material.

AwesomeDude changed their file links, so the link that's currently listed on GA doesn't work. This is the updated one:

http://awesomedude.c...other/index.htm

Edited by MJ85

GFD would never make it past the censors :)

I guess Castaway Hotel would never pass either.

A Class of His Own or Shane might (both with a few minor re-writes). Either would make a nice film.

Just remember guys, if any of our stories become movies, demand executive producer rights or else don't release any copyrights/movie rights.

No joke on it, remember what happened to Martian Child, Hollywood butchered the plot and characters.

I can't keep it to one so there :P

First I woul agree about Acedias' New Life. It has all the elements of a great film. Scenery, underwater scenes, locations, tension, class issues, abuse, mental health issues, men with their tops off... :) There is also the fact that the tension builds for a very long time without there being any actual sexua contact, It has elements of Brokeback mountain, and there are also other things going on that distract from the totally gay theme. I think it would definitely be commercially viable. Doesn anyone know a Hollywood producer? And can I come along to the casting please. I could bring my own couch.

Second i would have to say that, unfortunately Comsie's stories would and could never make it to the big screen. There are lots of reasons for this. First, of course is the sex. The language I don't think would be an issue these days, but society isn't ready for all the gay sex. For the same reason, Mark Harbour will never be up there. As far as Comsie is concerned he also has two other strikes against him, especially with regard to GFD. Firstly, there are multiple gay couples and secondly the ages of the boys.

Even though 16 is the age of consent I have seen very little with people of that age sexually active. Society doesn't like to think of 'children' having sex even though the evidence is all around them. It's the same thing with old people. When was the last time you saw an elderly couple kiss an have sex or even have it implied?

That being said, as the question is what story I would like to see I have to say GFD purely because the story itself would look great up there. Without the sex I think it would be a fantastic YA movie.

Impossible does contain the word possible!

More realistic would be stories getting made into stuff for the small screen, either tv series or web series

however, before that, its a lot easier to publish them as ebooks, or even print books.

• Site Administrator

Just remember guys, if any of our stories become movies, demand executive producer rights or else don't release any copyrights/movie rights.

No joke on it, remember what happened to Martian Child, Hollywood butchered the plot and characters.

I have a copy of David Morrell's "Lessons From a Lifetime of Writing" and it has an entire chapter on the subject of a book being converted into a movie.

In his case it was a novel called "First Blood".... better known to the movie world as "Rambo".

The key lesson from that is:

A. Authors don't make money from the movie.

B. Authors can, however, make money from sequels by insisting on the right to be the author for that sequel.

As for the butchering, here's a quote from the book after he's agree to pay $500 for an attorney to go over the First Blood film contract:

"David, you now have profit participation not only in the First Blood movie, but also in any sequels."

"Sequels?" I cringed, convinced that I'd wasted my hard-to-come-by money. "But almost every major character's dead at the end of the novel. How the hell can there be sequels?"

"David, you don't know what Hollywood can do with a novel. Maybe everyone'll live. Maybe the story'll end up as musical comedy on a submarine. By the way, I've also asked for profit participation on any merchandise associated with the film."

The book then goes on to explain what profit participation means, and how LITTLE it means you'll get. David Morrell was lucky - he actually got something back.

Anyway, I thoroughly recommend the book for it's tips on writing, as well as the chapters on getting published and on how, from the author's perspective, First Blood became the movie Rambo.

Edited by Graeme

I wonder why can't Authors and screenwriters have artistic license to be producers, too?

I'll pick up that book Graeme, sounds interesting.