Passing of a Writing Icon

comicfan

I just heard on the news of the passing of Ray Bradbury. The man was a genius with his writing. He wrote books, short stories, and for television. His works have been adapted to movies and he was one author who never gave up on what he wanted to write about. His works of the Illustrated Man, FAHRENHEIT 451, and the Martian Chronicles made huge marks on the science fiction landscape. He wrote for such shows as Alfred Hitchcock Presents and the Twilight Zone among many others. If you haven't read this incredible author you are doing yourself a disservice. He will be missed.

He was absolutely fantastic in nearly everything he did. I remember first being turned on to his work when one of my teachers read the class a chapter a day from the Martian Chronicles. They were going to make it into a movie in the 60s/70s, but that's when space probes suggested there was no life on Mars, so the plans were scrapped. What a shame.

Anne McCafferey at the end of last year and now an even greater icon. Posted Image Posted Image

The imagery and brilliance of 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' rushes to my mind every time I hear his name.

Ray Bradbury was a prophet, he basically predicted the late 20th century media driven world. May he rest in peace with the other great science fiction writers of the 20th century.

Let's hope that book burnings don't happen, but if they do, I still got my tablet full of stories that I will never be able to finish Posted Image

Edited by W_L

Anne McCafferey at the end of last year and now an even greater icon. Posted Image Posted Image

The imagery and brilliance of 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' rushes to my mind every time I hear his name.

*hugs poor Larwain* it's ok....

I was sad to hear of Bradbury's passing. After the "big three" of Heinlein, Asimov and Clarke, Bradbury was one of my favorites. Ursula Le Guin is probably my favorite living sci-fi writer now.

I was sad to hear of Bradbury's passing. After the "big three" of Heinlein, Asimov and Clarke, Bradbury was one of my favorites. Ursula Le Guin is probably my favorite living sci-fi writer now.

ummm...Harlan Ellison is still alive. He's my favorite living science fiction writer left.

You know Star Trek the Original Series writer of "City on the edge of forever", Twilight zone/Outer limits story writer, Babylon 5 source writer/"Creative consultant", and his most infamous piece: "A boy and his dog".

I totally forgot about this, but then remembered..this one's for you, Ray, R.I.P.

*Holds his three left middle fingers to his lips, then raises them in the air*

A literary giant - he must have influenced many writers e.g. Stephen King. He didn't only write sci-fi, but fantasy, horror, mystery, essays ... in fact he claimed he'd only written one sci-fi novel, 451.

ummm...Harlan Ellison is still alive. He's my favorite living science fiction writer left.

You know Star Trek the Original Series writer of "City on the edge of forever",

For Trekkies Posted Image - Harlan Ellison's script was significantly rewritten by others to the point where he almost wanted to wash his hands of it. But it is a great episode. Just a pity that the central historical premise on which the whole time travel plot hinges doesn't work.