Bullying... The Bus Monitor?

Nastasha

No way in h-e-double hockey sticks would my 82 year grandmother have put up with that BS. She'd have destroyed the little ships.

No way in h-e-double hockey sticks would your 82 year grandmother have stood a chance against me in my prime mischief years. I'd have destroyed her.

^^ But I guess we'd never know.

And anyone can say "would have", "could have", "should have"...which are very different from "did".

So if you could possibly provide an example or two of something your education veteran grandmother have resolved that's to a similar magnitude, it might just make all of your "would have", "could have", and "it is possible" comments a little more impressive.

Edited by Y_B

If she can not be a "hard ass" she has no business working with junior high kids, especially in her role as a bus monitor where she is there to control them.

She is not a "defenseless" woman (what does gender have to do with it anyway?), she is a person with the full weight of authority of the school system behind her. And what does age have to do with it? No way in h-e-double hockey sticks would my 82 year grandmother have put up with that BS. She'd have destroyed the little ships. Because Karen didn't nip it in the bud from the first comment, it went on.

What does age have to do with it? Really? And I wasn't implying that she was weaker cos she's a woman. I just said woman because...you know..she's a woman. It had nothing to do with my point. I could have just as well said person it wouldn't have changed anything. I just didn't think of it. :P

I'm just now hearing about this. Anyways, if I had acted like that, my dad would have taken off his belt and whooped my butt until I screamed for mercy. Lucky for me, I never acted like that. :)

No way in h-e-double hockey sticks would your 82 year grandmother have stood a chance against me in my prime mischief years. I'd have destroyed her.

Oh hell, she'd still make your squirt tears like a little girl.

Edited by PrivateTim

• Site Administrator

I was talking about this with some people this morning and they have young children. Some interesting ideas came out that I thought I would share.

Almost every parent said that they would never allow their child to be raised to do this. I'm sure all the of kids parents involved would and have said the same thing.

The other point came up that their kids would be taught to respect adults for being just an adult.

I found this statement to be a double edged sword.

We expect kids to respect adults. On the other hand, we expect kids to report or tell on adults that they don't feel are acting correct. Then, when our kids tell us something, do we take the time to hear the other side of the story before taking their side. Taking their side usually involves a visit or a phone call to the 'offending' adult, done in front of their kids. Even if not done in front of their kids they usually found out Mommy or Daddy took care of 'that' person.

So a mixed message is going to the kids, you are to respect adults but if you don't feel they deserve your respect than tell me and I will take care of it by not respecting the other adult myself.

So if Mommy and Daddy don't respect the other adult, why should I?

I know this is a simplistic example, but don't you think it holds some truth?

Only once did my Dad take my side with a teacher when he actually physically picked me up off the floor and slammed me into the wall. This was in Grade 4 and Dad helped me after he discussed it with some of the other kids present and the principle had called him to inform of the incident and what the school was doing with the teacher.

All the other times I was in trouble with an adult, Dad listened to me and then rightfully punished me for it, as was much deserved.

I wonder, out loud :P , do we as adults respect our children more than any other adult around us?

Who knows if those kids were completely rotten or if their parents are bad.... What they did is inexcusable, and I hope they're squirming from all this attention, but they shouldn't be written off as bad seeds or threatened to be killed (c'mon that's ridiculous). Even the best parents' well behaved kids can do stupid things, I stole a pair of reading glasses when I was five, thinking it could replace the pair I wore (I broke them goofing around). I lied about how my glasses miraculously changed until I was all lied out and had to face the wrath of my grandpa for lying AND stealing, then he told me I was going to go to jail. Posted Image

These kids need to learn big time. I suggest community service, no cell phones, no internet, no life until it sinks in their skulls.

Edited by Arpeggio

Things like community service, cell phone and internet restriction can only do so much. Those things really don't teach kids the "wrong" of what they do, it just lets them know that the consequences of doing certain things will lead to getting their stuff taken away. There's a difference. My puppy use to play bite all the time. Every time he did it, we put him away for 5-10 minutes so he knows that biting = end of playtime. He's gotten a lot better, but in his mind the only association that exists is that biting=no play time, not biting = bad, and it's the playtime he wants. So the point is that there needs to be a proper form of education that teaches kids how to actually be good people rather than just how to avoid getting inconvenienced. i don't really know what that would be. But if you do ask me, I think those kids on the bus need to eat their own medicine. When you've been humiliated publicly to the point of tears, I doubt you'd do it to somebody else ever again.

• Like 2

I doubt any of these kids are actually bad kids. They are junior high school kids which makes them a complete mess. They are in that time between childhood and adulthood. Their bodies are messing with them left and right, they are incredibly insecure about everything and putting down others is a classic reaction to insecurity. The situation escalated from the initial insults because there were no consequences for the initial push. It is the proverbial, "give them an inch" situation. If you come down hard on them at the start you can control the situation and direct them back to appropriate behavior, but once you have lost control it is hard to stuff that genie back in the bottle. In order to regain control you need to use more force and vigor than you would have had to otherwise used if you nipped it early.

Believe it or not, kids want structure, discipline and direction. When you give it to them, they respond well. When you leave them to their own devices, they are a disaster.

Believe it or not, kids want structure, discipline and direction. When you give it to them, they respond well. When you leave them to their own devices, they are a disaster.

I don't know, I think JJ Schluter handles himself pretty well despite being pretty much ignored by his two dads.Posted Image

But seriously though, I do think community service at a retirement home would be seriously fitting. I'm a believer in it.

Edited by methodwriter85

So the point is that there needs to be a proper form of education that teaches kids how to actually be good people rather than just how to avoid getting inconvenienced. i don't really know what that would be.

It's called parenting. Teaching your kids that being shitty to others is an inexcusable, ugly thing. Maybe letting them know that not only are they a disappointment to the parents, but to the wider community, that they are an embarrassment, that they make the family ashamed of their behavior. That when they act like assholes, their presence is unwanted, not desirable, get away from me. That their behavior is shameful, that their thinking is warped. Let them know that while it might feel badass to be a dick, they're really showing their lack of potential and stupidity.

It doesn't fall on a teacher to show a kid how to be a good person. It's the parents that have to do it. You can't shift this to an education issue, this is about teaching them respect, not only for elders but for everyone around them and for themselves.

I don't think its hormonal, not like Tim thinks it is. Kids do have brains, they do think. They can create good situations for themselves that don't involve bullying, and given the right parenting, can think their way out of being a member of the pack. But it's parents that have to bring that to them. And shame, good old shame, is a good way to do it.

* I would be a lousy parent

Edited by Gene Splicer PHD

I took four of my land lords kids to their first day at little league at their parents request. They gave me full authority to use physical punishment because they and my parents believe in it. But I don't believe in it. One of the four kids has a nose for causing and getting into trouble. Perhaps its middle kid syndrome. The youngest one has the nose of being the victim and the father tries to encourage him to fight back. To me the issue of encouraging aggression in a young adult is bad because its really connecting with their primal brain vs their higher intelligence.

Well we were heading back to the car after they finished their games. The middle kid saw a fatter kid and started to walk to pick a fight. Of course I kept my eyes on him. I scream at the both of them before either one could lay a punch at each other. My vocal anger was to instill some fear while speaking the truth. One, they can both be kick off their teams for fighting. Two, their parents will both hear about it. Three, I told them that the punishment waiting for them will be far worst than trying to start or win a fight. I told them that both will lose. It didn't matter to me what the fight was about.

Did they learn anything? Well for the moment, they learn not to fight in front of me. In the long term, nope, the middle kid still hadn't grown out of his aggressive behavior. Perhaps in high school he may have learn to change a little bit since he went from a small catholic school to a bigger catholic high school. The question is when in his place in life will he grow out of his primal aggression and embrace higher education and earning good life. The answer is that will be his journey and life will be his teacher.

Back to the kids, they are learn their lessons right now => bullied-bus-monitor-karen-klein-doesn't-accept-apologies

I suspect the kids will have to prove themselves that they learned their lesson by how they will act in the future. With the public knowing what they did and has labeled and judged them, they are learning a larger than life lesson. Thanks to the viral video. The boy that video should be thanked because no one else took action. The bus company has not release a video unlike another situation where a girl was gang beaten to unconsciousness. That video was released to the public.

I believe in certain states its against the law to harm an elderly person. This viral video struck that nerve. One step away from physical harm.

How the boys will change? It will all depend on them and the lessons that life will offer them.

http://antibullyingp...g/Programs.html

If the school board at the state level can enforce a strict zero tolerance then perhaps all of them will not be going to the same HS and hopefully they will attend some sort of anti-bully program plus community service be good as well that constantly teaches them what they suppose to learn. They do need to learn responsibility for their actions. Behavioral and cognitive adjustment is required. The good question who should pay for it and who will carry out the duties?

We don't know the kids, the parents, Greece community. We don't know if the parents can afford the funds to change their kids.

I say you bet ... take away a majority of their liberties for a year will change them as long as you replace those liberties with work.

Perhaps they should also have their education progress delayed. Let them graduate a year later if that will help them spend better time on their attitudes.

Edited by hh5

lol, there is fund for MAX ... its over 5000

The fund, entitled Love for Max Sidorov Too, was not launched by Sidorov but a Boston, Massachusetts man named Case Prince, according to the fundraising page.

Case wrote that Sidorov deserved funds 'for dealing with all the media attention, phone calls, and putting in extra hours to provide updates, answer questions, and legitimize the whole thing'.

Sidorov wrote a post to thank those who had donated and directed them to Amazon.com to encourage them to buy a nutrition book he has written.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1yfqZL8H9

Edited by hh5

the thing is, back in the old days when kids got bad grade the parents yells at the kid. But now in modern time, when the kid gets bad grades, the parents yell at the teacher why they are getting bad grades. See the connections? ( coming from a 16 year old LOL) People didn't want to get involved because they are scared they might get taunted by these bullies, who knows what these bullies do to them.

But i do hope she feels better now ~

The Four Bullies Are Suspended For One Year

They're being "suspended" for a year, and forced to attend alternative school for a year. Although really, since they're supposed to be in 8th grade next year, unless this is some kind of school where 9th grade is combined with the middle school, aren't they basically never coming back to the school?

The suspension works, but really- if I were the parents I'd probably just have my kid choice into another school district, or put them in Catholic school for a year. The community service with elderly folks seems like the better, more fitting punishment.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the idea of cs ... yaa its either catholic or home schooling or private schooling ... on a doco there is some form of anti-bullying school

pity they not add counseling

If they are going to an alternate school it might count towards 8th grade thats depended on that the school pass them for the seventh grade.

If not they have to repeat 7th grade.

its up to the parents if they can afford alternate schooling for at least a year or two ... before they start high school

are they ban from sports? are they ban from video games that shows aggression?

The Four Bullies Are Suspended For One Year

They're being "suspended" for a year, and forced to attend alternative school for a year. Although really, since they're supposed to be in 8th grade next year, unless this is some kind of school where 9th grade is combined with the middle school, aren't they basically never coming back to the school?

The suspension works, but really- if I were the parents I'd probably just have my kid choice into another school district, or put them in Catholic school for a year. The community service with elderly folks seems like the better, more fitting punishment.

I'm just now hearing about this. Anyways, if I had acted like that, my dad would have taken off his belt and whooped my butt until I screamed for mercy. Lucky for me, I never acted like that. Posted Image

Such a gentleman. lol.. hmm.. he probably should have whooped you for a number of other things though. ;)

I've had that controversy and the one sparked in my city with the bus driver not doing anything in this video:

And in both instances the bus driver did right. Let it flow off the back, either stop for a cop (in the later) or continue on if situation is safe. Bus driver, not security.

I can say, on the bus beating above, I stood with a peace rally in Belleville, IL. They wanted the driver arrested, etc, but it happened at the school. It was up to the cops (which where already standing outside the bus) to get that stopped, but they didn't want to "get in harms way". I feel sooooo safe. I have a feeling it was racially motivated knowing this area, no clue if it wasn't. I actually felt like that dude in highschool, way too many stereo's to tell, but I gotta hand it to the dude that broke it up and got mad.

Edited by Houdinii

• 4 weeks later...

She's retiring

"I'm not quitting because of what happened. That's not it," Klein said from her home in the Rochester suburb of Greece. "I enjoyed working with the kids. But I guess it's my time to leave. That's what I've decided."

The fundraising site Indiegogo listed the total amount raised at $703,833. A spokeswoman for the site said more than 30,000 people contributed, with donations coming in from at least 84 countries and all 50 U.S. states.

Max Gets 7,654 ... now he can write about health food book!!

Edited by hh5