[dkstories] The Waiting Is Frustrating

many of the stories in Gay Authors are the BEST to be found anywhere but it is frustrating having to wait for other chapters month after month, year after year and not see a new chapter :thumbdown: . After awaile many of us forget to check and never know what the ending of a great story may be. If an Author doesn't have time to write, then please, out of respect to his readers wouldn't it be best to write a story and send it to GA with a conclusion, ASAP for his readers? If at a later date the Author wishes to start a continuation fine, but PLEASE don't leave your readers hanging for months or even years. Some stories unfortuantly appear to never be completed.

Sorry guys I just feel it is unfair.......I'm still waiting to see chapter 27 for Dan's "Do Over Redux". It's the best I've ever read but I'm disappointed he hasn't brought his story to a conslusion.

I think I will now read only stories that say "Complete".

Edited by GordanJames
many of the stories in Gay Authors are the BEST to be found anywhere but it is frustrating having to wait for other chapters month after month, year after year and not see a new chapter :thumbdown: . After awaile many of us forget to check and never know what the ending of a great story may be. If an Author doesn't have time to write, then please, out of respect to his readers wouldn't it be best to write a story and send it to GA with a conclusion, ASAP for his readers? If at a later date the Author wishes to start a continuation fine, but PLEASE don't leave your readers hanging for months or even years. Some stories unfortuantly appear to never be completed.

Sorry guys I just feel it is unfair.......I'm still waiting to see chapter 27 for Dan's "Do Over Redux". It's the best I've ever read but I'm disappointed he hasn't brought his story to a conslusion.

I think that's probably a good policy for you.

For myself, I'll take whatever I can get and appreciate what our authors have done for us. Another thought, if authors were expected to only post stories that they were guaranteed to complete, then there would be no incentive for them to post any chapters until they had them all done.

In the case of DOR, we would not even have Chapters 1-26.

Last I heard, Dan still plans on continuing DOR and I will wait enthusiastically for when Chapter 27 comes out (Chapter 26 came out 5 months ago). Also, I don't think Dan intentionally meant to leave all his readers 'hanging'. Other, more important priorities (like a job that paid him money), 'got' in the way. And you know what? Good for Dan!

Vic

Edited by naper_vic
  • Site Administrator

Life comes first. Without the spark of life, the writing gets pretty boring too.

All the best to Dan and when he has time to write again, we'll enjoy his stories. Until then, there are a lot of fish in the sea.

Myr

I really do feel bad for the frustration readers must be experiencing when it comes to the long wait for new chapters. Life has been a real whirlwind for me these past five months. By no means, though, does that mean I have abandoned any of my stories.

In fact, Friday night I got another few pages done of DOR 27 (I first had to go back and re-read a bunch of previous chapters).

In September, I started working at a campaign job that had me working 12-20 hours per day, seven days a week. That job ended last Tuesday. Since then I've gone and picked up Grandma, Aunt Carol, and my cousin Michele up in Modesto, brought them here to Sacramento for a big Thanksgiving dinner. Yesterday I went for a very relaxing, and challenging, motorcycle ride to Lake Tahoe (can we say lots of snow and ice on the road).

Today, I'm sitting around the house, drinking hot tea and getting ready to continue on with DOR 27. Given enough free time today, I might just be able to finish it and send it off to my editor. Of course, Robert and I need to go shopping today as well. I start my new job on Monday. It's working for a political consulting firm owned by the guy who ran the Alliance campaign (the one I'd been working on) that defeated the Governor's initiatives here in California. It's a good job, as Data/Web Services Manager. We're working on several campaigns across the nation, including a Republican candidate for a local office here in California.

The new job hours are mostly 9-6:30 (or later) during the week, and I usually have weekends off, unless we're in the final six weeks of the campaign and then it's 12-20 hours a day, up to seven days a week. The pay is very good though, and it includes benefits. In between work, I have my relationship with Robert to continue, family in Modesto to take care of and visit, and maybe every now and then some time to relax.

That means there isn't as much time for writing as there use to be. I use to spend six to eight hours a day pushing out new chapters of these stories, but I can't do that anymore. Does that mean they won't get written, NO! I have a story to tell here, a story I WANT to tell, and I will.

It's just going to take longer (but no way should it take five months in-between chapters). I'm going to try to find a few hours each week to work on new chapters and hopefully start pushing out one per week once I get back into the swing of things. Hopefully you folks will still enjoy them.

Dan,

I really glad that the new relationship lead to a job that actually paid money worthy of your efforts, and that the job turned into a long term prospect. I was really worried about you a number of months ago. I guess finding the right guy helped more than you thought it would.

Snow Dog

• 3 months later...

I'm a newbie to both GayAuthors and Nifty Archive so I've not read alot.

Well I can understand that waiting is frustrating but I still read unfinished stories if they're good. For me it's worth the frustration if it's very good.

dkstories's stories are the best I've ever found and that's saying alot for me as I'm not a fan of Sci-Fi. I usually go for the Fantasy Genre or Historical Genre. Another very good author I've found is BillW with his Castaway Series. :worship:

Besides sometimes waiting makes the updates all the sweeter. A good trick I've found is to save the links to the stories in my favorite folders and just check each one monthly. That way if I do forget it, I'm bound to see it sooner or later. :2thumbs:

Of course someone who doesn't update for YEARS is a whole other story. <_<