Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Happy Bastille Day!

Happy Bastille Day to our French members, and to others who know what it is. Posted Image

I'll post a new chapter of Odyssey shortly to celebrate! (Wait, isn't that the story where the main character is usually fighting the French? Uh, well, never mind that. Posted Image )

I know what Bastille Day is. It's the day that lead my great-great-great-great grandfather to leave France for America a second time. He had fought in one revolution (ours) and didn't want to repeat that experience.

Vive la France!

• Like 1

I know what Bastille Day is. It's the day that lead my great-great-great-great grandfather to leave France for America a second time. He had fought in one revolution (ours) and didn't want to repeat that experience.

Vive la France!

Really, Mike? That sounds like a fascinating story. There can't have been many like him.

• Like 1

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."

France had the intellectuals, the philosphers and the misfortune of having some very inept political leaders. Their ongoing revolution was messy, horrendous and betrayed many of their lofty ideals but somehow they have muddled through. Vive La France!

Vive la France!

Really, Mike? That sounds like a fascinating story. There can't have been many like him.

Another great-great-great-great grandfather was born in Ireland and came to America early enough to fight in the American Revolution. He was present at the surrender in Yorktown. His daughter married my French ancestor's son and I am their descendent. We don't know if the two men met during the Revolution, but they both ended up in the same small Tennessee community.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..