Trashy Books (Romances or Others)

The_Round_One

The recent fervor over "Fifty Shades of Gray" reminds me that there really is a place in one's reading life for the occasional trashy read. I don't mean smut (available at many other sites!) but books one certainly doesn't need a degree to decode!

So...what are your guilty, trashy (or semi-trashy) pleasures?

I'll start out with mine. It's the 19th century equivalent of the trashy romance: "Graustark: The Story of a Love Behind a Throne" by George Barr McCutcheon. Far-fetched romance taking an American to a fictional central European country. Love, political skullduggery, and general fun happen in its pages. It's also on Project Gutenberg.

Love to hear about some of the more unusual guilty pleasures (we can forgo 50 Shades and Twilight) :)

• Site Administrator

I like Stormy Glenn's stories. Posted Image They're totally predictable and very formulaic, but I like them anyway! They're almost all novellas, so it's a good hour or two read for me with no complicated plot and guaranteed alpha/omega type couple with plenty of sex and happy ending. Oh, and if it is done RIGHT, I like mpreg. Something about reading about a guy suffering from that crap pleases the sadist in me! Posted Image

• Like 1

Hmm.. I'm my own worst enemy... since I tend to write very simplistic stories that don't take a lot of thought to get through. As far as reading.. I've not read much that would fall under that. I've been wanting to read Fifty Shades though.. so maybe that one will be my guilty pleasure.

my "trash between legit" read is anything by Georgette Heyer - regency stuff in particular. Her male heros are always bizarrely "gay". My partners HATES them and I know all the characters and plots by heart, but I still read them again and again.... I know; it's an illness!

• Like 1

Tintin, Asterix and Lucky Luke.

I don't consider them trash, but I'd rather not be seen giggling over them, either!

I love Tintin as well. The pratfalls constantly suffered by Thompson and Thompson are hilarious Posted Image

I read a bit of Asterix as a child, but never really got into it.

• Like 1