Weird Expressions

Well, being a 90s baby, I remember a lot of the expressions and slang we had going on. Some being:

Aiight: Alright or Okay

Dip: An expression for "let's ditch / leave"

All that: Better than everyone else. Ex. "She thinks she's all that."

All: an earlier form of "like". Ex: He was all... "hey" and then I was all..."oh hey what's up?"

Boo ya: After you've done something cool. Ex after a backflip exclaiming "boo ya"

Bunk: messed up

This one comes from my grandmother (born in Iowa, lived in Wisconsin & Wyoming). Whenever the weather got uncomfortably warm, she'd say:

"It's hotter than Dutch love."

I never quite "got" that phrase. I mean, the Dutch are known for many things, but being hot lovers isn't one of them. (I'd gladly accept correction on that, of course!) :)

jump ship-- when you're leaving somewhere you jump ship or also 'time to jump' or 'gotta jump'

shot who? -- means 'what?' or in proper english: I didn't catch what you said could you please repeat that? Posted Image

bushels and bushels -- our elderly neighbor says this for 'lots'

geemontee -- This is like OMG or WTF

Edited by KC Grim

"she's going to wind up with her arms full" - my grandmother's perception of a loose female

" he thinks with only one head and not the one between his shoulders" also grandmother's. ( self explanatory)

" get these kids out of the kitchen before I kill them" dad's reply " come out of the kitchen before your mom kills you",( his eyes never leaving the evening news on tv) that one is not wierd, it is just funny now, when i think about it.

• Like 2

"sut" - (not really sure it has a 'correct' way of spelling it) Expression of Never or There Is No Way.

"How much?" - Classic Yettie expression in dialogue when someone says something of disbelief. (ie- "I climbed the steps of the Eiffel Tower." Yettie, amazed says, "You did How much?") Has often lead so some really quite priceless expressions of confusion in conversations, probably why I like using it. :P

Yuses - (sounds a bit like jesus in some ways) Exclamation of surprise. (ie Bullet skims past your ear, "Yuses that was close!")

I love some of the derogatory terms for a person that I've come across in my time.

You plank! You tit! Sucker! (not in a good way either) You're such a Zombie! Dunder Head! You Chop!

Also love some of the expressions we've created to describe the wonderful joy of the male of our species having a good old tug on a member of his anatomy.

Spanking the monkey! Pulling one out! Tossing off. Beating the Bishop! Polishing the rocket! Rounding up the Tadpoles! Entertaining Mrs Palmer and her five daughters. Shaking hands with Shorty! The Erky Jerky! Tickle the Pickle! Measuring for condoms!!! Milking the lizard! Jiggle the Jewellery Killing the beast. Holding your sausage hostage! Hand to Gland Combat. Flogging your log! Choking your chicken!!

Terms of teasing or taking the piss out of someone -

Yanking your chain. Pulling your leg. Taking the micky.

• Like 1

Three of my g'pa's:

- "you feeling a bit under the weather?" *=not very well/sorry for myself*

- "you'll soon be right as rain!" *to cheer me up when I was feeling a bit under the weather Posted Image*

- "he's a slippery customer!" *anyone g'pa didn't like Posted Image*

• Like 1

where to start? where to stop! Posted Image My father was a true Cock-er-knee, and would regularly get a bit narked at some of the rhyming slang passed off on TV and radio. He passed away back in 1981. Having done my 22 in the Royal Navy (1975 - 1997), there's more than an a few which would probably get me red-carded. However... Some I always liked and often used myself -

Thru'penny Bits - Breasts

Bulldog licking piss of a thistle - unhappy/sour/unpleasant face

Like a Rangoon Fisherman's Worm Tin - Just ugly as in really ugly

Kosher - In this case it means 'The Real Thing' or honest

Gypsy's Kiss - to urinate (as in 'I need a Gypsy's')

'Fess Up - tell the truth

One for his knob - actually a card game expression from Cribbage, involving the Jack of the same suit turned over

NAAFI (which used to be the on-camp/on-ship 'shop') - No Ambition And Fuckall Interest

Goffer - Soft drink in a can (soda to the Dogger Banks reading this) - or - being hit by a wave, usually from the likes of a bow-jumper 'well and truly goffered'

From the derogatory gay but amusing side - knob jockey (and an Oztralian one I find amusing) freckle puncher. Who would have thought a bunch of Botany Bay Bastards would come up with something like that?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh lord. Some of the ones listed have been used everywhere including up here in New York.

Bloody Hell - It's like What the hell.

Abso-f**cking-lutely - Extremely in agreement.

Git - Idiot

This is common too ...

Fair t'middlin......I'm feeling fine.

But then we have a bunch of things common or not from around here ...

A smear - a light coating, usually of cream cheese on a bagel.

You need your hip boots - someone is really spreading the bull crap.

They're lumps and bumps - someone was in a fight

They're waiting for air - lip locked again

raining cats and dogs - flooding rains

Hit with the ugly stick - not attractive

Hit the whole tree - really not attractive - if they are really nasty "They started at the top and hit every branch on the way down on the ugly tree"

Angel Boy/ Girl - Goody two shoes

Devil's mate - Trouble maker or worse

3 sheets to the wind - drunk off your tush

Tush - butt

kiddo - term of endearment for anyone close to you.

Snowball's chance - means snowball's chance in hell so no chance at all.

golden one - lucky one

schmuck - stupid fool

Oh lord I could easily keep going.

Oh man I wish I knew where or how some of these expressions started! :D

There are some mint ones coming out!

And colder then a Witch's (T word for Breast)

I've heard that one before. Can't remember where though, but it did get a raised eyebrow when i heard it.

There was one that my dad always used to say to me when I was either trying to do something that was never going to work, or asking if I could do something I was never going to be allowed to do!

He'd say to me - Son you have more chance of falling pregnant, so maybe you better start trying!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmm I wonder if that had anything to do with me being gay! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

My husband had a few that I'd never heard of, always made me smile. Expanding on one of the previous expressions....

." It's colder than a witches t** in a cast iron bra."

" I have to get up at O dark thirty"

And this was in reference to where I lived when we first met...

" You live in Fort Stinkin Desert Country."

• Like 1