What is the historic discovery on mars ?

W_L

For us nerds and science lovers, there is a big tease about Mars right now and I have fingers cross.

I know the greatest hope of martian exploration would be discovering life. I hope we do and maybe gain some perspective on human life and the universe.

However, other discoveries like an actual underground ocean would be great for human colonization later.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49904984/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Any thought?

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1

For us nerds and science lovers, there is a big tease about Mars right now and I have fingers cross.

I know the greatest hope of martian exploration would be discovering life. I hope we do and maybe gain some perspective on human life and the universe.

However, other discoveries like an actual underground ocean would be great for human colonization later.

Any thought?

Posted Image ............. I'm excited about this also, not sure where the rover is right now or if it is in the region where NASA hoped to find water or ice. Finding water could lead to finding life, I guess I''l have to be patient along with everyone else until they make the announcement.

Seeing Rover is just on the surface, the discovery can't be underground - or at least I wouldn't think so. My guess is possibly water or a microscopic life form. Wouldn't it be something if it had discovered a bone? I can't wait to see what they have to announce.

Water would be a great find and it would give us hope for Terraforming Mars. Same is true for methane.

Organic molecules or even RNA would be a really interesting issue. There is a scientific theory out there that the earliest life on earth began as RNA sequences before DNA. Finding active RNA on Mars would be astounding and if that RNA is active, we may even be dealing with martian viruses, which are somewhere between complex molecules and life forms.

Edited by W_L

that martians are real, and Jim Carrey is one of them :P

:lol:

well they've not found methane yet which means there is yet to be evidence of life on mars existing,

However Remember that Earth has large Pockets of Methane under our surface, and it has nothing to do with life.

• 3 weeks later...

Since mars core is dead and the planet has no means to sustain an atmosphere there is no way to terraform the planet. The only thing it's good for now is whatever discoveries they might make. Oh well, maybe they can colonize the moon. I'm waiting for a martian homestead law so I can be one of the first. Posted Image

Sorry someone already owns pretty much everything in the solar system....

Staked a claim as soon as the international community created a law against Nations owning other planets and so on...(no it wasn't me)