Dad's love letter to his gay son

Celethiel

Yeah I saw this yesterday. Thought it was pretty amazing for about 2 seconds before I realized this is possibly one of the most artificial things I've ever read in my life. I'd love to believe its real, hope it is, but all things considered, especially the frequency of these "viral" gay letters popping up online, it just didn't do anything for me.

Edited by Y_B

*shrugs* who knows, however it is a nice thought even if it's not real.

Yeah I saw this yesterday. Thought it was pretty amazing for about 2 seconds before I realized this is possibly one of the most artificial things I've ever read in my life. I'd love to believe its real, hope it is, but all things considered, especially the frequency of these "viral" gay letters popping up online, it just didn't do anything for me.

I tend to believe in these sort of things unless I have a reason otherwise. This message could be fake or it could be real -- it's all a matter of perspective. I choose to believe it's real and I think it's sweet.

And so what if it's fake? Like Celethiel said, I think it's still a great message and a great thing that everyone is so happy about it. That's what matters.

Thanks for sharing this Celethiel; it brightened up my morning.

Edited by FishWings

Of course it's a nice thought but anything can be a nice thought, that's the thing about imagination. But if I wanted to read a feel-good passage or something warming, I'll look for something on GA or day dream myself a message that is exactly to my fitting. Finding this shit on Yahoo NEWS annoyed me in a way. It teases you with a glimmer of how awesome humanity can be with no real traces of reality in it. "And that's it for Channel 8 news, we hope you believed us".

Well.... it is yahoo news, LOL.

But aside from that, I think that's the thing about the internet. You have to suspend suspicion sometimes because everything and anything could be potentially fake. Take GA for example. I choose to believe that the things members say they are, are what they are, unless I have a reason to believe otherwise. I think it's the same basic concept with this viral letter, and I don't think there's any harm in it whether it was fake or not.

I have personal experience with this. As far as I am concerned there isn't a parent out there that worth anything. That's my opinion though. I don't believe this story for a second! 

I know exactly how my "father" reacted to the idea of the posibility of one of his offspring being gay-I can still see some of the scares and feel the sting. This story is a load of crap and no legit news outlet would report something this fake.  

I have personal experience with this. As far as I am concerned there isn't a parent out there that worth anything. That's my opinion though. I don't believe this story for a second! 

I know exactly how my "father" reacted to the idea of the posibility of one of his offspring being gay-I can still see some of the scares and feel the sting. This story is a load of crap and no legit news outlet would report something this fake.  

This isn't what I thought though. We agreed but for different reasons. There is no question in my mind there are lots of supportive family and friends of LGBTs.

I don't see how your personal experience has anything to do with this, but okay bro! To each their own

I had a feeling it was personal experience that made you say that it was fake so venomously, Squid...

I had a lot of problems with my parents, my father with his abusive drunkedness, and my mom with her escapism and her neglect of her kids to be with an abusive boyfriend....

However, my grandmother told me when I said to her that I hated my father, "someday You'll love him..."

over time My hatred died into sadness and pitty, :( and now I miss the man who was my father, not the man who was the drunken stranger sitting in our living room beating up on woman...

I missed the man who had my back (which even as a drunk my dad had my back even though I didn't know it until after he died).

Not all parents are cruel, not all turn their children into the cold... :(

And if/when you become a parent, you don't have to be that way....

It may be fake, the sentiment is still nice. I believe there are fathers out there that could write a letter of love and acceptance to their gay children. As well as mothers. 

:P 

Even if it's real, I don't think it's a particularly great reaction from a parent to a kid, not when the father claims he's know his son was gay since he was six.

Being gay and young is full of angst, and if a parent "knows" or even suspects, then I think the proper thing to do as a parent would be to broach the issue. The son (if this is real) has probably been going through all sorts of torment about how his parents will react, and then his dad virtually dismisses the issue. Get some orange juice and some bread. I mean, really?

Even if it's real, I don't think it's a particularly great reaction from a parent to a kid, not when the father claims he's know his son was gay since he was six.

Being gay and young is full of angst, and if a parent "knows" or even suspects, then I think the proper thing to do as a parent would be to broach the issue. The son (if this is real) has probably been going through all sorts of torment about how his parents will react, and then his dad virtually dismisses the issue. Get some orange juice and some bread. I mean, really?

I disagree. Being gay and young is not always full of angst, and sometimes children just need sometime on their own to figure it out. I think it's respectful, mature, and trusting to let the child tell the parents first.

And I don't think it's dismissive. It might seem assumptive from an outsider's perspective but ultimately it is the acceptance that matters. Not everyone likes to make mountains out of molehills, and even if the child is worried about how the parent reacts it doesn't mean that he wants his dad to gush all over the issue.

lol, thats up to the imagination

its sort of funny the parents know n the teen has to hide 

we can list down many ideas ... perhaps it can be a comedy

Not really.

No conflict.  What would the point of the story be?

Edited by hh5