Recommendation: Recipes

Dark

So, I'm headed to a place where getting fresh dairy is highly unlikely if not impossible.  I need some help finding recipes and things I can cook/bake that don't require milk or butter.  I can get eggs, but I'm not sure about protein unless it can come out of a box/can.  And please don't suggest spam.  <_<

:D

xxgoogle recipes that suggest water instead of milk.  If you like sweets, I have a great brownie recipe without milk or butter.

2 cups self rising flour

2 cups sugar

4 tbsp cocoa

Sift ingredients together

Add four eggs beaten

3/4 c.. oil

stir with spoon until mixed.  It will be thick and pull from the sides of bowl.

Add 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans if desired

1 tsp vanilla

Stir until blended.

Pour into greased and floured 9x13 pan

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clea

Edited by joann414
  • Like 1

another thing you can do is google vegan recipes... also you can get almond or soy milk that is shelf stable and use that instead... it tastes pretty good, especially when really cold over cereal and stuff 

• Like 1

Soy milk tastes like melted plastic. :/

Evaporated (not condensed) milk is milk with about 60% of the water removed and has a shelf life of at least twelve months. You can use it straight from the can in coffee (think half and half or table cream) or add water proportionally to have milk.

Butter can be frozen up to eight months so buy in quantity when you can. Freeze in the original packaging and thaw in the refrigerator as needed. Same thing for hard and semi-hard cheeses like cheddar, parmesan and mozzarella. Softer cheeses, not so much.

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

I've frozen milk before too. I just put it in muffin tins, freeze it, and pop them into a freezer container or bag. Each muffin tin is about a 1/2 cup. Frozen butter and cheese does work as well. The issue comes with getting those from where you are to where you will be. If you can't, then vegan recipes are definitely a good way to go. Powdered milk is gross to drink, I agree with Breeze, but if you are using it to bake or cook using herbs and spices can mask that.

If you're looking to do protein rich foods, look to things like beans, nuts, hummus, couscous, peanut butter (huge protein boost, but lots of fats and oils, but has great shelf-life), oatmeal, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, brown rice... Men are supposed to have about 56 grams of protein a day. Check out this website to see the actual grams of things and then get creative googling dinner recipes/lunch recipes/baking recipes with... each ingredient.

• Like 1

Ooh, hummus!  ^_^

I can't stand the taste of powdered milk, either.  I think the biggest problem with the milk/cheese is the shipping, so definitely checking out other sources of protein is a must.  I have to wait and see what kind of fresh fish/meat I'll be able to get.  If I understand correctly, that will depend on the generosity of the natives, since I won't be able to get a hunting license out there.  Not that I really want to shoot my own and drag it home anyway.  :P

Can one live without butter?  :o

If you cannot get butter or butter type substitute consider a good olive oil.  Greek style is to use olive oil plus salt on very bland bread instead of butter. 

For pan frying consider peanut oil/ground nut oil instead of butter.

although not as good in my opinon try olive oil instead of butter (3/4 of quantity of butter) google recipes ( do not use top quality olive oil it is a waste)

Be careful, try not to use oil olive for frying Does not realy work.

• Like 1