Recipes Worth Trying

13 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Ohhhh... that looks tasty.  Reminds me of what we call a strada.  You can put almost anything you want in them, but they're all savory and good.

Actually, Strata is what I was searching for when I found that recipe.   :)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Wayne Gray said:

Reminds me of what we call a strada.

You mean this?

Fiat-Strada-Side-(More-Processed).jpg
Fiat Strada (in English-speaking countries only, it was sold as the Ritmo everywhere else), 1978-1988 (1979-1982 in North America).
Fiat’s horrible reputation for unreliability doomed the car in the US/Canada market. UK version pictured.

Fiat_Strada_Pick-Up.JPG
Fiat Strada, 1996-present. (Not sold in the US or Canada.)

:facepalm:

so, back to food
we had this night before last
we skipped the diced red bell peppers, and subbed fresh pinto beans ( i always have these in the deep freeze) instead of black beans, and doubled the recipe using 3 big chicken breasts
diced white onion, lime wedges, and diced avocado for toppings

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/slow-cooker-chicken-enchilada-soup/

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

so, back to food
we had this night before last
we skipped the diced red bell peppers, and subbed fresh pinto beans ( i always have these in the deep freeze) instead of black beans, and doubled the recipe using 3 big chicken breasts
diced white onion, lime wedges, and diced avocado for toppings

Looks tasty, Molly.   :)

• Love 2

Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Ingredients:

8 slices of White or Sourdough bread*

1 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, freshly grated

1 cup Havarti Cheese with Dill, freshly grated

Honey Mustard Sauce (recipe follows)

3 Tbsp Butter or Margarine

*A split-top or Pullman loaf works best for this recipe.

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 450 F/ 232 C/ Gas Mark 8

2. Spread 1 tsp of butter or margarine evenly over one side of each bread slice.

3. Toss Cheddar and Havarti cheese together in a bowl. Add 2 Tbsp of cheese mixture to four slices of bread, buttered side down.

4. Spread 1 tsp of Honey Mustard Sauce on the unbuttered side of remaining bread slices. Place bread on top of the cheese mixture, mustard-side down.

5. Transfer assembled sandwiches to a baking sheet. Bake sandwiches in the oven for 5-6 minutes. Using a spatula, turn sandwiches over to the other side. Bake for 5-6 minutes more.

6. Let cool for several minutes. Serve and Enjoy!

Spoiler

Honey Mustard Sauce

Ingredients:

1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise

1/4 cup of Honey

1/4 cup of Dijon Mustard

1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard

1 Tbsp White Vinegar

1/8 tsp Paprika

Salt and Pepper, to taste

Instructions:

1. Add all ingredients in a bowl, except salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth.

2. Taste for seasonings; add salt and pepper as needed.

3. Keep refrigerated. (A 12 oz Mason jar works nicely.)

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Sliced sourdough bread? How sacrilegious! Sourdough should always be baked in a freeform loaf-shape!
;–)

It's what I bought at the store. It tastes just as good, and it won't spoil as fast as a bakery loaf.   :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

It's what I bought at the store. It tastes just as good, and it won't spoil as fast as a bakery loaf.   :rolleyes:

You don’t eat the whole loaf within a day or two? The French buy their bread fresh daily! I’d check to see what kinds of preservatives they added to your ‘bread.’
;–)

48 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Ingredients:

8 slices of White or Sourdough bread*

1 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, freshly grated

1 cup Havarti Cheese with Dill, freshly grated

Honey Mustard Sauce (recipe follows)

3 Tbsp Butter or Margarine

*A split-top or Pullman loaf works best for this recipe.

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 450 F/ 232 C/ Gas Mark 8

2. Spread 1 tsp of butter or margarine evenly over one side of each bread slice.

3. Toss Cheddar and Havarti cheese together in a bowl. Add 2 Tbsp of cheese mixture to four slices of bread, unbuttered side down.

4. Spread 1 tsp of Honey Mustard Sauce on the unbuttered side of remaining bread slices. Place bread on top of the cheese mixture, mustard-side down.

5. Transfer assembled sandwiches to a baking sheet. Bake sandwiches in the oven for 5-6 minutes. Using a spatula, turn sandwiches over to the other side. Bake for 5-6 minutes more.

6. Let cool for several minutes. Serve and Enjoy!

Reveal hidden contents

Honey Mustard Sauce

Ingredients:

1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise

1/4 cup of Honey

1/4 cup of Dijon Mustard

1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard

1 Tbsp White Vinegar

1/8 tsp Paprika

Salt and Pepper, to taste

Instructions:

1. Add all ingredients in a bowl, except salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth.

2. Taste for seasonings; add salt and pepper as needed.

3. Keep refrigerated. (A 12 oz Mason jar works nicely.)

That's pretty much a croque monsieur. Croque monsieur isn't necessary just ham and cheese in between the slices ;)

16 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

You don’t eat the whole loaf within a day or two? The French buy their bread fresh daily! I’d check to see what kinds of preservatives they added to your ‘bread.’
;–)

Sorry to break it it you like this but no we don't always do 🤷🏻‍♀️ when making croque monsieur or something like Page's receipt we'd use "pain de mie" which doesn't have a crust or if it does it's a soft crust, it's sell as a sliced loaf. There are multiple kinds: plain or white, sourdough, with or without crust...

If I remember from my time in England that's pretty much sandwich bread which is Page's receipt ;)

But we also make sandwiches with baguette which we bought daily or so (well if you're a poor college student first you usually don't eat a whole baguette in one day and second you eat it even if it's not fresh anymore) :P

Edited by clochette
  • Haha 2
8 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

;–)

Until you figure out a way to keep those rustic loaves from going stale, I'm sticking with the factory-made bread.  <_<

• Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 6:29 PM, Page Scrawler said:

Another recipe that I enjoy https://smittenkitchen.com/2009/07/blueberry-boy-bait/

It sure lives up to its name. I usually have to make two batches, or I'd never get a bite in, edgewise, before Mickey and his friends make it disappear.   :lol:

This looks awesome. And the name wins with me...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, Wayne Gray said:

that looks wonderful! it may show up in a week or so on the menu

we did this one last week, i set the crock pot up on a timer to start at 11:30 so that it wasn't over done

https://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2017/12/one-pot-creamy-chicken-tortellini.html?fbclid=IwAR3mE-vDB-WrxNg6UR86EEmmJj1LbZJsrY1oqUIez-ZizJNdHWchFOXKu-4

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I gained 5kg whilst driving Europe during the summer. I blame Sicily - hot days, sitting by the pool and eating too much amazing pizza. Since returning to England, I went keto and lost the 5kg in five weeks. I substituted beer and wine (sadly) for gin. Lattes for Americano. No bread, rice or sugar. Besides acting like a maniac the first week, my energy returned and my body adapted. I would much rather alter my diet instead of languish at the gym or try to get motivated to run on uneven payment in near freezing temperatures.

The butcher and fishie know me now because I am always buying fresh stuff. It seems, win-win. Gin is much better than beer too!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, chezdon1997 said:

I gained 5kg whilst driving Europe during the summer. I blame Sicily - hot days, sitting by the pool and eating too much amazing pizza. Since returning to England, I went keto and lost the 5kg in five weeks. I substituted beer and wine (sadly) for gin. Lattes for Americano. No bread, rice or sugar. Besides acting like a maniac the first week, my energy returned and my body adapted. I would much rather alter my diet instead of languish at the gym or try to get motivated to run on uneven payment in near freezing temperatures.

The butcher and fishie know me now because I am always buying fresh stuff. It seems, win-win. Gin is much better than beer too!

i've heard wonderful things about Keto. are there any recipes that are particular favourites you'd care to share?

• 2 weeks later...