Recipes Worth Trying

21 minutes ago, MichaelS36 said:

Not sure what you're saying. Is it too healthy for you?

Not at all, just trying to show some awareness that the world doesn’t revolve around the US and our celebrations.
;–)

I’d eat most of that, but I don’t care for bell peppers. I am trying to figure out how they created the turkey’s head. It must be a really thick dip if it’s still holding its shape – I’d probably have sliced the top of a mushroom and used the dip to ‘glue’ the eyes, beak, and wattle to the surface.
;–)

1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

Not at all, just trying to show some awareness that the world doesn’t revolve around the US and our celebrations.
;–)

I’d eat most of that, but I don’t care for bell peppers. I am trying to figure out how they created the turkey’s head. It must be a really thick dip if it’s still holding its shape – I’d probably have sliced the top of a mushroom and used the dip to ‘glue’ the eyes, beak, and wattle to the surface.
;–)

tim is the cook ... but perhaps some hard boiled egg for the head? I'd like all those veg. It was a lot easier to adapt when I found out I'm diabetic.  Vegetables are a saving grace. There are very few we do not eat.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 1 month later...

it's been a while since anything was posted here, but here's what we did for dinner tonight:
was very tasty relatively easy. we used the lower carb option for the breading and used more cheese. we paired it with the Instant Pot risotto recipe @Mikiesboy shared with me.
oh, and watch the cooking time on the chops. ours were done much sooner than anticipated, and nothing's worse than dried out pork chops

https://myincrediblerecipes.com/delicious-baked-parmesan-crusted-pork-chops/?fbclid=IwAR14mIsRISvogjdP1_rsSx3I2HuZ3uf-RzmR8kJs3KpFsbmWf0aOF4S-LNY

https://damndelicious.net/2018/03/21/instant-pot-mushroom-risotto/

Edited by mollyhousemouse
added info
  • Like 5
11 hours ago, mollyhousemouse said:

it's been a while since anything was posted here, but here's what we did for dinner tonight:
was very tasty relatively easy. we used the lower carb option for the breading and used more cheese. we paired it with the Instant Pot risotto recipe @Mikiesboy shared with me.
oh, and watch the cooking time on the chops. ours were done much sooner than anticipated, and nothing's worse than dried out pork chops

https://myincrediblerecipes.com/delicious-baked-parmesan-crusted-pork-chops/?fbclid=IwAR14mIsRISvogjdP1_rsSx3I2HuZ3uf-RzmR8kJs3KpFsbmWf0aOF4S-LNY

https://damndelicious.net/2018/03/21/instant-pot-mushroom-risotto/

Ooh, those chops look amazing! Wonder if it would be doable with chicken instead... We don't eat a lot of pork at present, due to the state of pig farming in this country.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, droughtquake said:

And what temperature are we looking for?

165f   if you're cooking a whole chicken take the temp in the thigh but not touching bone.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Guinness Chocolate Sauce

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yields: 1 cup

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of white sugar

1/2 cup of Guinness or other stout beer

1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted

3/4 cup of 60% cocoa chocolate pieces

1 teaspoon of salt

1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Directions:

1. In a small saucepan, whisk together the first three ingredients until smooth. Bring to a boil.

2. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the chocolate and salt until smooth and completely melted. Stir in vanilla extract.

3. Will keep in fridge for two weeks. To serve, warm in the microwave for 10 - 20 seconds.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Easy Dulce de Leche

Things You Will Need:

1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk

Aluminum Foil

Slow Cooker

1. Fill the slow cooker 3/4 full with water, enough to completely submerge the can. Tightly wrap the can of sweetened condensed milk in aluminum foil. (at least two layers)

2. Place the can in the slow cooker. Set on low heat for eight hours. (No turning necessary)

3. Remove the can from the slow cooker, unwrap the foil, and refrigerate before opening.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • 1 month later...

hello again....

i doubled this, except for the chicken i used 3 large breasts
subbed in fresh made pinto beans for black, and frozen corn for the canned
diced white onions, chopped clinatro, lime wedges, shredded Mexican blend cheese, and chopped avocado to top it with
OMGosh! so very good!
https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/instant-pot-chicken-enchilada-soup/

• Love 2

Made this last week, and it turned out surprisingly good: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/269732/mexican-taco-meatloaf/  Will definitely be made again.

A basic home-mixed "taco seasoning mix" is:

1 tablespoon chili powder
        ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
        ¼ teaspoon onion powder
        ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
        ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
        1½ teaspoons ground cumin
         1 teaspoon salt
         1 teaspoon black pepper

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 1 month later...

Mexican Lime Maria IceBox Cake

Ingredients:

4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened

4 limes, juiced (1/2 cup) and 2 tsp of zest, plus more for garnish

1 can (14 oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 can (12 oz) Evaporated Milk

1 pkg (3.5 oz) Maria Cookies

Preparation:

1. In a bowl, fold the cream cheese and lime zest until blended. Add condensed milk and whisk until blended. Add evaporated milk and lime juice, whisk until blended. The mixture will be thick, but runny.

2. Measure 1/2 cup of cream cheese mixture and spread evenly in the bottom of an 8 x 8 inch glass dish. Arrange 9 Maria cookies in a single layer on top of the cream cheese layer. Add 3/4 cup of cream cheese mixture and spread evenly with a spatula. Repeat the layers three times, finishing with the cream cheese. (There should be four layers of cookies in the dish.) Garnish with lime zest, if desired. Refrigerate for 8 hours.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

🍎Try this! Like apple pie filling? Wana quick and healthy snack that’s easy? 

-1 or 2 apples. Sliced

-stevia or some powered sugar(Yes granulated is fine)

-cinnamon

-salt

mix all these together with some corn starch(the apples will be all dusty. That’s perfect!)

/put in microwave until you reached the doness and creamy texture you like/

eat alone or put on top of ice cream😱🥰ITS YUMMY I PROMISE HEHE.

Edited by Black Paper
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Black Paper said:

apples

Does any particular variety of Apples work better?

10 minutes ago, Black Paper said:

It’s really preference. But, I find fuji and Granny Smith work great🍎

In concept this vaguely reminds me of an eggless Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough recipe I found somewhere (no eggs means less risk of salmonella).
;–)

4 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

In concept this vaguely reminds me of an eggless Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough recipe I found somewhere (no eggs means less risk of salmonella).
;–)

Precisely. Also, the famous”Brownie in a mug” is of the same family in nature. THIS one I like because it’s healthy and I’ve used it as my desert during diets many times.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Talo Segura said:

peanut butter (crunchy or smooth…)

I always thought the peanut butter was a very American food. It is, but North American, just not specifically the US! That’s right, it’s Canadian!

See what kinds of silly trivia you learn when you watch Jimmy Kimmel Live (From His Home!) with Sandra Oh. Jimmy had Sandra play a game where she had to identify whether something was Canadian or not. They weren’t obvious or easy. She was amazing and was 100% accurate.
;–)

1 hour ago, wenmale64 said:

My favorite grouping for pie is: Spitzenburg, Winter Banana, Granny Smith and Rome. Unfortunately, three of those varieties will be almost impossible to find in a store because the fruit industry is driven by fruit that keeps longest in storage or is patented by individual growing / packing groups. 

I’ve never even heard of the first two. But I have heard of the other two. Possibly because the Bay Area is close enough to ship from prime apple-growing regions, they’re grown in Northern California, or I watch America’s Test Kitchen & Cook’s Country too much! I think I’ve seen Safeway advertise the two I’ve heard of. (I don’t do gourmet grocery stores like Whole Foods, or farmer’s markets.)
;–)

• Site Moderator
4 hours ago, wenmale64 said:

When using apples for cooking and especially baking, always use a variety of apply varieties.

I’ve never heard of this, so thanks for the tip.

Right now, my favourite apple is the Pink Lady variety, though Fuji is a close second.  Would they be good cooked in pies? When we can find them, Spy apples are what we use in pies , because that’s the ones my mom says work best as cooking apples. Now you have me thinking there are other options. 

I haven’t done it in a long time, but I used to slice Macs and cook them in a pot with with brown sugar, margarine and cinnamon - made for a tasty treat. Oh gee, now I want some...

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, wenmale64 said:

Anyway, I thought some here might be interested in this tip

Wow, how interesting!  Thanks for sharing that.

• Like 3
  • Love 2