Recipes Worth Trying

Not sure if any of would cook this but I got a A+ in High School in home economics class making up our own recipes.

Ground Meat Macaroni

1 lb ground meat

1/4 lb of macaroni

grated cheese

1 jalapeno

2 cans of cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup (your pick)

Brown meat and drain, while macaroni is boiling. Take out seeds from jalapeno and dice. Put everything together in baking dish with grated cheese on top. Season to taste. Put in oven and bake on 375 degrees until cheese melts then serve. Now you have a casserole dish to serve.

Edited by Sherye
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
Bourbon-Pecan Pie Bars

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Ingredients:

Shortbread Crust

1 cup butter , softened

2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp vanilla

2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour

Pecan Topping

1/2 cup butter

1 cup packed light-brown sugar

1/3 cup honey

2 Tbsp heavy cream

1/8 tsp salt

2 cups roughly chopped pecans

2 - 3 Tbsp Bourbon Whiskey, such as Jim Beam

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with foil, leaving a two-inch overhang on all sides. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, whip 1 cup butter with 2/3 cup brown sugar and 1/2 tsp salt until pale and fluffy. Mix in vanilla bean paste or extract.

2. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in flour and mix until dough begins to come together in crumbles. Press mixture into an even layer in prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven 20 minutes, or until edges are golden.

3. Meanwhile prepare the topping by melting together 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, honey, heavy cream and salt in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan set over medium heat. Simmer mixture 1 minute, then stir in Bourbon and pecans.

4. Pour pecan mixture over hot shortbread and spread into an even layer. Return to oven and bake until top is bubbling, about 20 minutes.

5. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack (you can cool in the fridge or freezer to speed up cooling) then, using foil overhang lift bars out and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.
Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Mexican "Street Corn" Salad

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

8 ears of corn, husks removed

1/2 cup of  red onion, diced

2 Tbsp unsalted butter

1/2 cup sour cream

2 Tbsp lime juice

1/2 tsp paprika

3/4 tsp cumin

1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped

2 Tbsp of freshly chopped chives

1/2 cup of crumbled Cotija cheese

Preparation:

1. Cook the corn on a grill or grill pan, then use a sharp knife to slice the kernels off the cobb.

2. While the corn is still warm, add it to a bowl with the remaining ingredients and some salt and pepper. Stir until thoroughly blended.

3. Add more salt and pepper to taste, then serve. Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Something for the Hot Summer Months:

Chilled Tapioca with Coconut milk and Taro

Ingredients:

1 bag of Tapioca pearls

1 can of Coconut Milk/Coconut cream

1 carton of unsweetened Soy milk

1 bag Rock Sugar (add as needed for sweetening)

1 Taro, sliced into bite size pieces

1/2-3/4 cup of water to help cook tapioca pearls

Refrigerator space for overnight storage

1 small cooking pot for the Tapioca pearls

1 medium cooking 12 inch pot for the actual chilled

Instructions:

1. Cook the tapioca pearls in boiling water over high heat for 5 minutes, then change the cooking temperature to medium heat for about 20 minutes. Do a taste test of the tapioca pearl at 20 minutes, if they are no longer grainy or hold a bite, then you have successfully cooked the tapioca. I know most folks use their eyes to tell wellness based on translucency, but I use the taste test to gauge, both works.

2. In a separate medium 12 inch pot, begin cooking the taro pieces with coconut milk, soy milk, and rock sugar mixture at medium for 20 minutes. At that point the Taro should soften and be soft, if it still feel hard against your cooking spoon, continue to cook a little longer. Taste the mixture once Taro is cooked fully to make sure the sweetness is appropriate to your taste. Add more Rock sugar as necessary or if it is too sweet, add a little soy milk or water to help offset the sweetness.

3. When the Tapioca pearls are ready, strain the tapioca pearls of any remaining hot liquid water and rinse the tapioca pearls substance under cold running water. Do this 2 or 3 times to help separate the Tapioca pearls and reduce their gummy consistency.

4. Mix the cooked tapioca pearls into the coconut/soy/Taro soup base, stir the soup, and let it rest for 10 minutes on the kitchen counter before putting it into the refrigerator. The soup will sit in the refrigerator overnight.

5. Serve as a chilled dessert the following day.

---------------

This is a semi-traditional Asian dessert dish, it's not complicated to make and there's a variety of recipe alternatives, some people substitute Taro for Cantaloupe for instance. I like the idea of having a chilled dessert during the summer. If you make it thicker, it's a pudding, or if you add more liquid, it's like chilled soup. Don't worry, very few people judges on consistency, it can be eaten both ways.

• Love 2
  • 6 months later...

Sheet Pan Mac and Cheese

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 32 - 35 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes

Ingredients

1 lb. uncooked elbow macaroni

1/2 Cup butter

1/3 Cup all-purpose flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper

2 Tbsp Dijon mustard

1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

3 1/2 Cups milk

4 Cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese*

3 Tbsp melted butter

2 Cups Panko bread crumbs

*I use 4 cups of whatever cheeses I have: Cheddar, Colby, Gouda, Parmesan, etc, and grate it fresh; pre-shredded cheese often has starch added to prevent clumping.

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400 F/204 C/Gas Mark 6. Coat 18 x 13 inch rimmed sheet pan with cooking spray. Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions.

2. In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup of butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbling. Stir in mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Add milk and stir frequently until mixture boils and starts to thicken. Remove the milk mixture from heat and add the cheese, stirring so the cheese is completely melted.

3. Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce, then spread the macaroni evenly onto the sheet pan. In a bowl, mix 3 Tbsp of melted butter with 2 cups of Panko bread crumbs, sprinkle evenly over the macaroni and cheese. Bake in the oven for 32 - 36 minutes, or until the bread crumbs are browned.

• Love 2
  • 4 months later...

My son often requests this recipe for lunch after a busy afternoon at ballet class. Preferably in a Pita pocket or lettuce wrap. Chicken isn't my favorite, but I enjoy this recipe, too.  :)

Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts - aka "Waldorf Salad"

Ingredients

2 cups Shredded Chicken

1/3 cup Walnut Halves

3/4 cup Grapes, sliced in half

1/4 cup Celery, sliced thin

2 tbsp Red Onion, finely chopped

2 tbsp Green Onion, chopped

1/4 cup Mayonnaise

1/4 cup Greek Yogurt

1 tsp Mustard

1 tsp Dried Dill

2 tsp Honey

2 tsp Lemon Juice

1/4 tsp Black Pepper

Preparation

1. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, mustard, greek yogurt, honey, lemon juice, dried dill, black pepper and set aside for later.

2. In a large bowl, mix shredded chicken, celery, grapes, walnuts, green onion and red onion. Pour in dressing and mix to fully combine.

3. Cover salad with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to fully develop. Serve chicken salad on toasty sliced bread, crackers or a warm croissant.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Love 1

Microwave your asparagus.

This is something new to me that I found by searching if this was a viable option, and it turned out to be a marvelous way to cook asparagus. Heating up the house by turning on the stove (gas in my case) to heat up water is not something I want to do in the warmer months if I can avoid it.

For enough trimmed, medium-sized asparagus for one as a side dish.

Microwave 1100 watts - paper towels sufficient to roll asparagus until completely wrapped (mine took four half-sheets) - your choices of seasoning - water.

Lay out sufficient paper towels on the counter or cutting board. Trim and rinse asparagus shaking off excess water but do not dry and place on paper towels. Season asparagus to your preference. Roll asparagus in paper towels until covered with the seamed side down (if paper towels can be folded under on one or both ends do so). Sprinkle paper towels with water until wet but not dripping. Place the asparagus on microwave plate seam side down. Microwave for 3-4 minutes (depending on microwave power) and let sit for 2 more minutes.

Open microwave door carefully, there will be hot steam, and remove covered asparagus with tongs to avoid burning yourself. Carefully unwrap the asparagus, plate them, and season further if you like, the addition of a pat of butter or some superior quality olive oil is more than acceptable here.

Note: This worked like a charm. I set my microwave for 3.5 minutes and the asparagus was a little overcooked, so I'll try half-a-minute less the next time. I ground sea salt on the asparagus before wrapping and it didn't need more afterward, but I did mix some olive oil, a smidgen of Dijon mustard and a splash of sherry vinegar in a small bowl (I know, those aren't very precise measurements) and I spread that over the cooked asparagus, delicious.

If you're cooking for more than one person or your asparagus is thick or thin sized, you'll need more or less time in the microwave. Begin with 5 minutes for thick stalks and check for doneness after the 2-minute sitting time, microwave in short intervals if further cooking is required. And of course, less time is needed if you're using thin stalked asparagus. Enjoy!

• 9 months later...

Recipes Worth Trying: Ditch the box and try from scratch. I've been making this recipe for decades. It has been around a long time. I found this in the mid-80's in a Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book (c) 1962. Super simple. Super good. Super worth it.

Brownies (Fudge-type)

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 1-ounce squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla. Beat in eggs. Blend in chocolate. Stir in flour and nuts. Bake in greased 8x8x2 inch pan at 325 degrees 30 to 35 minutes. Cool. Cut in 16 squares. 

Obviously, the nuts are optional. If you love dark and/or special chocolates, you see the possibilities. 

One of my favorite ways to serve: Have a few friends over. When time, put the brownies together and pop them in the oven. (Once you learn this recipe you can have everything ready and it takes minutes to put it together. Plus, there is always someone who enjoys speaking with you one on one for a minute (or is it just me)--now is their time. You feed two party needs at once.) Don't wait for the brownies to cool. Divide it into fourths, put them in the bottom of 4 bowls, top with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. That's what friends are for. 

Edited by PBax
grammar
  • Love 2
  • 1 month later...

Spicy Peanut Noodles with Pork

Ingredients

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth

1/4 cup Hoisin sauce

1/4 cup soy sauce

1 Tbsp canola oil

1 lb ground pork

Heavy sprinkle of red pepper flakes

3/4 cup minced green onions, both green and white parts

1 Tbsp minced garlic

1/2 tsp ginger powder

2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter

1 14 oz package of rice noodles or 1 16 oz package of linguine pasta

Optional: roasted salted peanuts, for topping

Preparation

1. Set a large pot of water to boil for the noodles. Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Assemble the pork and sauce while waiting for the water to boil.

2. Whisk together the soy and Hoisin sauces with the chicken broth in a measuring cup; set aside near the stove until ready to use.

3. Over medium heat, add the canola oil to a pan and brown the pork until no longer pink. Drain any excess fat from the pan.

4. Add the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and half of the green onions to the ground pork. Stir to combine, then heat until fragrant.

5. Pour the Hoisin-soy sauce mixture into the pan with the pork; add the peanut butter and stir until thickened and bubbling. Add the drained noodles to the pan with the pork and toss with tongs to coat.

6. Portion the noodles into bowls, then sprinkle the remaining onions over the top (and the peanuts, if using). Serve.

• Love 2

This is one of my 'go to' recipe's when I fancy something spicy and warming, there are many variations but this is my favourite as it's quick and easy. It is recommended as a breakfast recipe, but I'll eat it any time of day accompanied by buttered fresh baked bread.

I often add 1/4 teaspoon of chilli flakes and/or cumin at the same time as the tomatoes, the nice thing is you can vary the recipe to suit yourself so feel free to experiment.

Shakshuka (pronounced;- shak-shoe-kah)

Ingredients

½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil

¼ small red onion, chopped

1 medium red bell pepper, diced. When cutting the bell pepper, slice two rings before dicing the rest of the pepper.

1 clove garlic, minced

⅛ tsp salt

7 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes (you can substitute with tinned chopped tomatoes)

1 tbsp tomato paste

2 large eggs

1 tbsp parsley, chopped (for garnish, optional)

1 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled (add after cooking, optional

Instructions

Heat extra-virgin olive oil on medium heat in a small skillet or pan. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes or until onions start to soften. 

Add peppers and garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes.

Add the fire-roasted diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and bell pepper rings and cook for 3 minutes or until the mixture starts to simmer.

Turn the heat down to low. Place the eggs in the bell pepper rings, cover the pan, and simmer for 5-6 minutes (or until the eggs are at your desired consistency).

Serve immediately.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

NOT for the faint of heart, but yes for the sweettooth...

Mini pumpkin cupcakes to DIE for (American version):

1/2 cup coconut flour
1-3 cups of flour
1 can of coconut milk
1 can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup coconut oil
Tsp baking powder
Tsp baking soda
Dash of vanilla (or tsp)
Dash of maple syrup (or tsp, optional)
Smallest dash of tartar sauce (or tsp)
Dash of cinnamon also optional (tsp)

Oil mini muffin tins with coconut oil (or any oil really)
Bake at 350 for 21 minutes 

Mini pumpkin cupcakes to DIE for (European version):

100g coconut flour
400g-500g cups of flour
40g-50g of canned (condensed) coconut milk (depends on your sweetness tolerance, but I've already lowered it by at least half for you...feel free to use even less if you're concerned)
One 15 oz can pumpkin puree (or 400-425g of fresh pumpkin puree? up to you)
100g cup coconut oil
5 ml baking powder
5 ml baking soda
Dash of vanilla (or 5 ml)
Dash of maple syrup (or 5 ml, optional...you might want to skip this one altogether)
Smallest dash of tartar sauce (or 5 ml)
Dash of cinnamon also optional (5 ml)

Oil mini muffin tins with coconut oil (or any oil really)
Bake at 177 for 21 minutes 

--

Note for both versions: Depending on how big or small you want your batch to be, you can just add the carton version of coconut milk to your liking (sugar free if needed). 

I used a spoon or ice cream scoop to portion them to fill 2/3 of the tins, but with thicker consistencies, you can use a frosting bag or any other method. 

Edited by Thirdly
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • 8 months later...
3 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

I thought I'd try making these for breakfast on Christmas morning.  :D

My favorites! Please, Page, can I get some for Christmas?  It's great you added the video, and I watched it.  I'm glad to know that I can add cinnamon to the filling because I do it!  

• Love 3
  • 3 weeks later...

One summer, when I was just a nipper, my mom and her sister took my cousins and me to Pensacola Beach. It was hot, and it was fun, but a memorable taste sensation stands out from that trip. There was a hot dog stand on the beach that sold a hot dog called THE BIG DOG.

It wasn't the size of the dog that made it special. Indeed, it came in a standard and foot long size. It was how it was dressed.

Here I've recreated the BIG DOG for your culinary edification.

The BIG DOG has:

-smoked sausage frank

-bun

-spicy Cajun mustard

-chili

-Sauerkraut

-pepper jack cheese

-Jalapeño peppers

the-big-dog.jpg

It was just the ticket for a cold, rainy night in Dixie. Even fifty years later, it still hits the spot.

PS - Onions are optional, but with everything else, they're hardly necessary.

Edited by JamesSavik
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, JamesSavik said:

One summer, when I was just a nipper, my mom and her sister took my cousins and me to Pensacola Beach. It was hot, and it was fun, but a memorable taste sensation stands out from that trip. There was a hot dog stand on the beach that sold a hot dog called THE BIG DOG.

It wasn't the size of the dog that made it special. Indeed, it came in a standard and foot long size. It was how it was dressed.

Here I've recreated the BIG DOG for your culinary edification.

The BIG DOG has:

-smoked sausage frank

-bun

-spicy Cajun mustard

-chili

-Sauerkraut

-pepper jack cheese

-Jalapeño peppers

the-big-dog.jpg

It was just the ticket for a cold, rainy night in Dixie. Even fifty years later, it still hits the spot.

PS - Onions are optional, but with everything else, they're hardly necessary.

Hotdogs are one of my favourite comfort foods.  Thanks for adding a great new variation to my cookbook.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...