Jump to content
Wayne Gray

Recipes Worth Trying

Recommended Posts

ok Wayne, i'll add one.
don't be scared of the green, a salsa verde isn't usually all that spicy.  it's green from using tomatillos (toe MA tee yoz) if you're not in the U.S.,  i'm not sure you'll be able to find a roasted salsa verde but here goes.
you can cook this three ways, in the oven, in a slow cooker or in an Instant Pot.


Salsa Verde Chicken
1 to 1 1/2 jars roasted salsa verde
1 large or 2 medium boneless chicken breasts per person
garlic powder, salt to taste
rice (we use plain old steamed white rice)

  • pour a little of the salsa in the bottom of the cooking vessel, put the breasts in sprinkle with some garlic powder and salt. cover with more salsa verde. 
  • if it's a slow cooker, put it on low for 6 hours or so. 
  • in the Instant Pot use the poultry setting, or whatever the directions say to pressure cook that many breasts (it was 15 minutes with the POULTRY button on mine).
  • serve a breast over the rice, sprinkled with cheddar, Monterrey jack or Colby/Jack cheese. 
  • in the oven, cook at 350 F (177 C) until the chicken is cooked through, sprinkle with one of the cheeses and put it back in the oven just to melt the cheese.
  • serve over rice.

alternately, shred the chicken in the salsa and serve as tacos, or burritos


 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/28/2019 at 7:45 PM, mollyhousemouse said:

 tomatillos (toe MA tee yoz)

I thought it was pronounced toe ma TEE yoz…
;–)

Any idea roughly how long it should be baked (for those of us who only have a range and a microwave)?

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I thought it was pronounced toe ma TEE yoz…
;–)

Any idea roughly how long it should be baked (for those of us who only have a range and a microwave)?

mmmm, we've always emphasized MA
uhhh, until the chicken is cooked through...depends on how thick the breasts are, 25-35 minutes, you don't want the chicken to dry out
let me know if you decide to try it 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

another one for the Instant Pot (i have the big 8 quart one)
we had this tonight, less than an hour from prep to dish in sink, belly full!
Instant Pot Cajun Chicken and Rice 
next time, we'll use chicken thighs not the breasts, and i'll have to try to double it, or make two batches since everyone liked it and there are NO leftovers

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

another one for the Instant Pot (i have the big 8 quart one)
we had this tonight, less than an hour from prep to dish in sink, belly full!
Instant Pot Cajun Chicken and Rice 
next time, we'll use chicken thighs not the breasts, and i'll have to try to double it, or make two batches since everyone liked it and there are NO leftovers

Mmmm!  That sounds tasty!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Mmmm!  That sounds tasty!

it was very good!
as evidenced by the lack of leftovers, lol!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

@Wayne Gray
so we gave this pork chop dish a shot tonight in the old Instant Pot
i did change it up a bit and used chicken broth, also 8 boneless chops so about a tablespoon more butter
no one but me would like this over spinach as suggested, so i did some cabbage and carrots in the cooking liquid (1 head cabbage & 2 pounds carrots both cut into chunks, a bit of pepper, 8 minutes on HIGH, less veg, less time)
so simple, so good
so who's got one for a pot roast?
 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

@Wayne Gray
so we gave this pork chop dish a shot tonight in the old Instant Pot
i did change it up a bit and used chicken broth, also 8 boneless chops so about a tablespoon more butter
no one but me would like this over spinach as suggested, so i did some cabbage and carrots in the cooking liquid (1 head cabbage & 2 pounds carrots both cut into chunks, a bit of pepper, 8 minutes on HIGH, less veg, less time)
so simple, so good
so who's got one for a pot roast?
 

Oh, that sounds goooood!  Thank you for sharing, molly!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Okay.  There's no, ZERO reason for me to buy dressing for salad anymore.

Here's a recipe to build your own salad dressings using the flavors you enjoy the most.  You need one component of each of the below.  Pick stuff you like.  Dump this stuff into a mason jar with a tight fitting lid.

thanks Wayne! i'll give some of this a try!
here's one for the Instant Pot, we really liked it

https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/low-carb-herb-and-garlic-chicken/

i served it over wide egg noodles, but everyone here agreed maybe rice would be better next time

  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

thanks Wayne! i'll give some of this a try!
here's one for the Instant Pot, we really liked it

https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/low-carb-herb-and-garlic-chicken/

i served it over wide egg noodles, but everyone here agreed maybe rice would be better next time

Ohhhh... that looks good!  Thanks for sharing, molly!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Wayne Gray said:

Okay.  There's no, ZERO reason for me to buy dressing for salad anymore.

 Here's a recipe to build your own salad dressings using the flavors you enjoy the most.  You need one component of each of the below.  Pick stuff you like.  Dump this stuff into a mason jar with a tight fitting lid.

Sounds easy and delicious, Wayne. Just one question. What is the “shelf-life” (I’m assuming this would be refrigerated) of one batch of this dressing? Or, do you need to make it fresh each time?

  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Sounds easy and delicious, Wayne. Just one question. What is the “shelf-life” (I’m assuming this would be refrigerated) of one batch of this dressing? Or, do you need to make it fresh each time?

Thanks, Reader!  I make them fresh every time.  That’s part of its appeal for me - because I can make a dressing based on whatever I'm craving at that moment.  But they’d easily last a few days in the fridge.

Edited by Wayne Gray
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

so, hello....

tried a new one in the IP tonight.

was a big hit!

https://recipesfromapantry.com/instant-pot-chicken-and-potatoes/

Oh man.  I bet that'd be great with sweet potato too for a little lower on the glycemic index.  Thanks, molly!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Thorn Wilde
      My own twist on the classic English tea time treat.
       
      You need:
       
      400ml whole wheat flour
      2 tsp baking powder
      1/2 tsp salt
      60g butter
      A handful of almonds, chopped or crushed
      150ml milk
       
      1. Set oven to 225*C.
       
      2. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Divide the butter into little pieces with your fingers and add to the flour mix until you have a loose mass.
       
      3. Add the almonds and the milk, kneading with your hands until everything's mixed together, but take care that you don't make the dough too dense or smooth. It's better if it's a little bit rough.
       
      4. Divide the dough into two flat-ish round patties that you place on a baking tray. With a knife, make a cross in each patty, without cutting all the way through, and prick them a few times with a fork.
       
      5. Place the baking tray in the middle of the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until the scones are nice and golden on top.
       
      6. Leave them to rest in room temperature for a few minutes before quartering and serving with butter, preserves or whatever you want, and don't forget a nice pot of tea!
       
       
       
      For plain scones, just skip the almonds. Other tasty variations on this recipe include adding other types of nuts, dried cranberries or blueberries, raisins or other dried fruits. The sky's the limit, so go wild!
    • By Caz Pedroso
      Hi, Guys and Girls.
       
      I am organizing my annual Macmillan Coffee morning for September, and I am looking for some different cake recipes to try out. 
       
      I do the usual ones, sponge, carrot cake, fruit cake, chocolate cake, etc.
       
      I am looking for some more unusual ones to give my guests something different to taste. Maybe some of our non-UK members have some suggestions from their countries? 
       
      All I ask is can you keep it fairly simple as my team has to be able to follow the recipe easily and I pay for the ingredients myself or by donation. 
       
       in advance  
    • By comicfan
      Alright anyone who talks to me or reads my work knows I love food. I talk about it, I write about, and in at least one of my stories I included my recipes for things. So I thought I would ask the group feel like sharing a recipe or two?
       
      I'll begin this with one my favorites
       
      My Blueberry Buckle recipe. Basically it is blueberry cake and I've cooked it all year using frozen blueberries when fresh are no longer available.
       

      Blueberry Buckle
      Ingredients 3/4 cup white sugar 1/4 cup shortening 1 egg 1/2 cup milk ½ teaspoon of vanilla 2 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 ½ cups fresh blueberries 1/2 cup white sugar 1/3 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/4 cup butter, softened Directions
      Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease one 8x8 inch pan. Cream together 3/4 cup sugar, shortening, vanilla, and egg. In a separate bowl mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into sugar mixture, alternating with milk. Stir in blueberries. Pour into greased 8x8 inch pan. To make topping: Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter. Sprinkle over cake batter. Bake at 375 degree F (190 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes. So there is the first one. Who wants add one of theirs?
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..