Recipes Worth Trying

ok Wayne, i'll add one.
don't be scared of the green, a salsa verde isn't usually all that spicy.  it's green from using tomatillos (toe MA tee yoz) if you're not in the U.S.,  i'm not sure you'll be able to find a roasted salsa verde but here goes.
you can cook this three ways, in the oven, in a slow cooker or in an Instant Pot.

Salsa Verde Chicken
1 to 1 1/2 jars roasted salsa verde
1 large or 2 medium boneless chicken breasts per person
garlic powder, salt to taste
rice (we use plain old steamed white rice)

• pour a little of the salsa in the bottom of the cooking vessel, put the breasts in sprinkle with some garlic powder and salt. cover with more salsa verde. 
  • if it's a slow cooker, put it on low for 6 hours or so. 
  • in the Instant Pot use the poultry setting, or whatever the directions say to pressure cook that many breasts (it was 15 minutes with the POULTRY button on mine).
  • serve a breast over the rice, sprinkled with cheddar, Monterrey jack or Colby/Jack cheese. 
  • in the oven, cook at 350 F (177 C) until the chicken is cooked through, sprinkle with one of the cheeses and put it back in the oven just to melt the cheese.
  • serve over rice.

alternately, shred the chicken in the salsa and serve as tacos, or burritos

• Like 2
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I thought it was pronounced toe ma TEE yoz…
;–)

Any idea roughly how long it should be baked (for those of us who only have a range and a microwave)?

mmmm, we've always emphasized MA
uhhh, until the chicken is cooked through...depends on how thick the breasts are, 25-35 minutes, you don't want the chicken to dry out
let me know if you decide to try it 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

another one for the Instant Pot (i have the big 8 quart one)
we had this tonight, less than an hour from prep to dish in sink, belly full!
Instant Pot Cajun Chicken and Rice 
next time, we'll use chicken thighs not the breasts, and i'll have to try to double it, or make two batches since everyone liked it and there are NO leftovers

• Like 4
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

another one for the Instant Pot (i have the big 8 quart one)
we had this tonight, less than an hour from prep to dish in sink, belly full!
Instant Pot Cajun Chicken and Rice 
next time, we'll use chicken thighs not the breasts, and i'll have to try to double it, or make two batches since everyone liked it and there are NO leftovers

Mmmm!  That sounds tasty!

• Like 5

@Wayne Gray
so we gave this pork chop dish a shot tonight in the old Instant Pot
i did change it up a bit and used chicken broth, also 8 boneless chops so about a tablespoon more butter
no one but me would like this over spinach as suggested, so i did some cabbage and carrots in the cooking liquid (1 head cabbage & 2 pounds carrots both cut into chunks, a bit of pepper, 8 minutes on HIGH, less veg, less time)
so simple, so good
so who's got one for a pot roast?

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

@Wayne Gray
so we gave this pork chop dish a shot tonight in the old Instant Pot
i did change it up a bit and used chicken broth, also 8 boneless chops so about a tablespoon more butter
no one but me would like this over spinach as suggested, so i did some cabbage and carrots in the cooking liquid (1 head cabbage & 2 pounds carrots both cut into chunks, a bit of pepper, 8 minutes on HIGH, less veg, less time)
so simple, so good
so who's got one for a pot roast?

Oh, that sounds goooood!  Thank you for sharing, molly!

• Like 4

Sorry this isn’t a recipe, but I thought you all might appreciate it anyway:

tumblr_prbz2rXpPs1y0pegfo1_640.jpg

Flip the bell peppers over to check their gender. The ones with four bumps are female and those with three bumps are male. The female peppers are full of seeds, but sweeter and better for eating raw and the males are better for cooking. 

;–)

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Okay.  There's no, ZERO reason for me to buy dressing for salad anymore.

Here's a recipe to build your own salad dressings using the flavors you enjoy the most.  You need one component of each of the below.  Pick stuff you like.  Dump this stuff into a mason jar with a tight fitting lid.

thanks Wayne! i'll give some of this a try!
here's one for the Instant Pot, we really liked it

https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/low-carb-herb-and-garlic-chicken/

i served it over wide egg noodles, but everyone here agreed maybe rice would be better next time

• Like 3
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

thanks Wayne! i'll give some of this a try!
here's one for the Instant Pot, we really liked it

https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/low-carb-herb-and-garlic-chicken/

i served it over wide egg noodles, but everyone here agreed maybe rice would be better next time

Ohhhh... that looks good!  Thanks for sharing, molly!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Wayne Gray said:

Okay.  There's no, ZERO reason for me to buy dressing for salad anymore.

Here's a recipe to build your own salad dressings using the flavors you enjoy the most.  You need one component of each of the below.  Pick stuff you like.  Dump this stuff into a mason jar with a tight fitting lid.

Sounds easy and delicious, Wayne. Just one question. What is the “shelf-life” (I’m assuming this would be refrigerated) of one batch of this dressing? Or, do you need to make it fresh each time?

• Like 3
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Sounds easy and delicious, Wayne. Just one question. What is the “shelf-life” (I’m assuming this would be refrigerated) of one batch of this dressing? Or, do you need to make it fresh each time?

Thanks, Reader!  I make them fresh every time.  That’s part of its appeal for me - because I can make a dressing based on whatever I'm craving at that moment.  But they’d easily last a few days in the fridge.

Edited by Wayne Gray
  • Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

so, hello....

tried a new one in the IP tonight.

was a big hit!

https://recipesfromapantry.com/instant-pot-chicken-and-potatoes/

Oh man.  I bet that'd be great with sweet potato too for a little lower on the glycemic index.  Thanks, molly!

• Like 3
  • Love 1