Recipes Worth Trying

4 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Oh man.  I bet that'd be great with sweet potato too for a little lower on the glycemic index.  Thanks, molly!

yes, that would be good too!
i know that it was a hit as there are NO leftovers, and i doubled the recipe!

Edited by mollyhousemouse
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I love this! I have nearly all of the main ingredients growing in my garden...

That's the beauty of it! I learned how to make it when I used to be able to grow things. I can only grow my fresh herbs now coz of urban living with Twinks that don't eat. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

:(  ... some people for physical reasons can't knead dough by hand... so the machine is a great help and lets them have the joy of baking bread too.

Yes, but I’m mean, judgey, and unsympathetic to the weaknesses of huuumons! So There! 😈

• Haha 5
Just now, MrM said:

Yes, but I’m mean, judgey, and unsympathetic to the weaknesses of huuumons! So There! 😈

Okay there is that. (but i really dont believe it)  :)

• Love 4
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Okay there is that. (but i really dont believe it)  :)

Actually, your point is, of course, quite valid and having such technology to allow folks who can’t knead or mix things by hand is a wonderful thing. I shall, myself, be needing to use the KitchenAid I have after the next few years. My carpel tunnel syndrome in my right hand is starting to worsen and after the surgery I probably won’t be able to do much more than type and hopefully write with my hand again. I am right handed so that will be a problem for any strength bearing activities with that hand for a long while.

That said, if a person is able to do so, I would greatly encourage folks to knead bread at least once in their lives. It is one of the most natural and satisfying things a person can do and a great workout! :D

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, MrM said:

Actually, your point is, of course, quite valid and having such technology to allow folks who can’t knead or mix things by hand is a wonderful thing. I shall, myself, be needing to use the KitchenAid I have after the next few years. My carpel tunnel syndrome in my right hand is starting to worsen and after the surgery I probably won’t be able to do much more than type and hopefully write with my hand again. I am right handed so that will be a problem for any strength bearing activities with that hand for a long while.

That said, if a person is able to do so, I would greatly encourage folks to knead bread at least once in their lives. It is one of the most natural and satisfying things a person can do and a great workout! :D

it is a wonderful thing and i agree. i use a combination of machine and hand. There is nothing quite like making bread, is there? i think it's the most satisfying thing, as you say.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

it is a wonderful thing and i agree. i use a combination of machine and hand. There is nothing quite like making bread, is there? i think it's the most satisfying thing, as you say.

Well there are OTHER things more satisfying, but we shouldn’t get into that now. :P

I was talking about EATING the bread you pervs! :gikkle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

a family favorite on the menu this week
i have to double this, and add thawed frozen broccoli near the end of cooking
we also found it too sweet, so i add about half the amount of brown sugar and some crushed red pepper
this week we'll have it over plain white rice, but it's also yummy with lo mein noodles

https://therecipecritic.com/slow-cooker-mongolian-beef/

• Like 4
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, mollyhousemouse said:

a family favorite on the menu this week
i have to double this, and add thawed frozen broccoli near the end of cooking
we also found it too sweet, so i add about half the amount of brown sugar and some crushed red pepper
this week we'll have it over plain white rice, but it's also yummy with lo mein noodles

https://therecipecritic.com/slow-cooker-mongolian-beef/

Oooooohhhh -- I just ran across that yesterday and thought it sounded lovely! Just need to  find a decent low-sodium soy sauce.  One of the recipes I found yesterday had almost 400% of normal daily sodium.  ☹️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Fae Briona said:

Oooooohhhh -- I just ran across that yesterday and thought it sounded lovely! Just need to  find a decent low-sodium soy sauce.  One of the recipes I found yesterday had almost 400% of normal daily sodium.  ☹️

it's really yummy & since it's in the crockpot, there's no heating up the kitchen

i like Lee Kum Kee soy sauce, Fae. we also use crock pot liners to make clean up easier

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cheesy Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs

Serves 8, but you might want to make more after tasting one   :D

Prep Time: 5 Minutes

Cook Time: 10 Minutes

Total Time: 15 Minutes

8 hot dogs or Frankfurter-style sausages

16 strips of bacon, precooked*

8 hot dog buns

3 slices of American cheese, or another "melting" cheese of your choice

*The bacon should still be pliable enough to wrap around the hot dogs

1. Preheat oven to 450 F /230 C /Gas Mark 8.

2. Slice each hot dog or sausage lengthwise, but don't cut all the way through.

3. Cut the cheese into small strips and stuff it into the opening of each hot dog.

4. Wrap two bacon strips around each hot dog, securing the ends with toothpicks or wooden skewers.

5. Place the hot dogs on a jelly roll pan, and bake for 10 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp.

6. Let the hot dogs cool for several minutes, then remove the skewers. Serve in buns with toppings of your choice.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Back in the Seventies, we used to use regular, uncooked bacon and we broiled the hotdogs to cook the bacon.
;–)

Another tasty, but not terribly healthy hotdog meal involved slicing the wieners diagonally and cooking them in a mixture of sweetened soy sauce. Kind of a shortcut teriyaki. Naturally, we ate it with steamed white rice.
;–)

3 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

Had this one for breakfast this morning

Clearly, you’re not in one of the areas experiencing a heatwave.

Today it was about 90°F (32°C) here near the Bay and 105°F (41°C) just over the hills. The humidity is a little high at 36%. The temperature near the Bay will drop a few degrees, but the humidity is rising into the 80s and 90s in the morning before it drops below 50% in the afternoon. (Over the hills, it will be even hotter tomorrow.)

Oakland hit a new record for the day at 90°F (32°C). Right on the Bay, Oakland Airport also set a new record for the day at 94°F (34°C)!

Edited by Former Member
On 8/7/2019 at 9:07 PM, mollyhousemouse said:

so, hello....

tried a new one in the IP tonight.

was a big hit!

https://recipesfromapantry.com/instant-pot-chicken-and-potatoes/

On 8/7/2019 at 9:11 PM, Wayne Gray said:

Oh man.  I bet that'd be great with sweet potato too for a little lower on the glycemic index.  Thanks, molly!

Hey molly, thank you for this. I tried it today and I am now my mother’s favourite child again. Lol It came out well and tasted really good too. 

Wayne, I used a mix of sweet and Irish potatoes and the sw potatoes held up well and I think boosted the flavours a little. 🤷‍♀️

Ok, well...thanks again. 

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
Just now, Defiance19 said:

Hey molly, thank you for this. I tried it today and I am now my mother’s favourite child again. Lol It came out well and tasted really good too. 

Wayne, I used a mix of sweet and Irish potatoes and the sw potatoes held up well and I think boosted the flavours a little. 🤷‍♀️

Ok, well...thanks again. 

thanks for letting me know, Def! glad you are Number One again, lol!

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

This one really hit the spot for dinner tonight. I used half a loaf of pre-sliced, split-top sourdough. Skipped the refrigerator part, though. I especially loved the crispy edges.

https://12tomatoes.com/savory-breakfast-recipe-makeahead-herb-sausage-casserole/

Ohhhh... that looks tasty.  Reminds me of what we call a strada.  You can put almost anything you want in them, but they're all savory and good.

• Love 4