Pitch Drop Experiment

Zombie

Tension is mounting in the world of science as the next drop in the 86 year old Pitch Drop Experiment prepares to ... drop.
This will be the first drop to drop since ... er ... well since the last one dropped in November 2000 :P
Scientists are reaching orgasmic states of excitement as they eagerly anticipate the moment when the sticky tendril holding the ninth drop suddenly SNAPS! and the oily drop SPLATS!

Here's a pic of one of those scientists "on the edge" as he gapes in wonder and struggles to contain his excitement

Pitch_drop_experiment_with_John_Mainston

And here's a live video link so you too can watch this momentous happening - as it happens!

http://smp.uq.edu.au/content/pitch-drop-experiment

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 2

I highly doubt that the oil drop will "splat". Given the high viscosity of the fluid, i think it will maintain its drop shape. So it will be like a rock falling in the beaker. You can actually see the previous drops still in their original shape. 

This is interesting. Thanks for the share.

Cheers

Ieshwar

I highly doubt that the oil drop will "splat". Given the high viscosity of the fluid, i think it will maintain its drop shape. So it will be like a rock falling in the beaker. You can actually see the previous drops still in their original shape. 

Hey, don't be a meanie :P I just like the idea of a slow motion drop being matched with a slow motion splat - maybe those other drops will deform in time to become splats, and maybe that'll be Part 2 of the experiment :lol:

Interesting it's commonly believed that glass also flows - over centuries - as a "supercooled liquid", but it seems this is yet another urban myth

http://www.glassnotes.com/WindowPanes.html

http://www.cmog.org/article/does-glass-flow

Edited by Zombie

Lol. :lol: As in slow motion in real life? 

Hmm, glass flowing... Sounds awesome. I have heard about "supercooled liquid" somewhere in my chemistry classes but I forgot what it means (and I'm way too lazy to  google it).

What I would like to know: Is pitch actually melting at room temperature? As in does its molecular structure slowly change through time? Or is it just a very very viscous fluid with the molecules moving at a very languid pace? I looked for it but the range for the pitch melting varies on various webpages. 

This is so fascinating. :D 

• Site Administrator

Ooh, science geekiness. This is cool! Thoughts are percolating for a story now... :P the best use for obscure information, that I can think of at least.

• Like 2

Lol. :lol: As in slow motion in real life? 

What I would like to know: Is pitch actually melting at room temperature? As in does its molecular structure slowly change through time? Or is it just a very very viscous fluid with the molecules moving at a very languid pace? I looked for it but the range for the pitch melting varies on various webpages. 

As I understand it - and I'm not a scientist -  everyday matter can exist in three states: solid, liquid, gas [also plasma in special conditions]. The transition between these is an important area of science and the terms fluidity and viscosity - which have opposite meaning - describe the resistance to flow at the molecular level due to internal friction, which varies between materials and according to temperature. So water is a liquid form of solid ice and water vapour gas, glass is a solid which flows at high temperatures but not at room temperature, and pitch does flow at room temperature but very very slowly :P In the real world - in other words outside of a lab :lol: - everything has some viscosity, which is measured in units called "poises". The links I gave probably answer your questions but if you really really want more geeky stuff plus some nice complicated equations then here's another specially for you :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

Edited by Zombie

As I understand it - and I'm not a scientist -  everyday matter can exist in three states: solid, liquid, gas [also plasma in special conditions]. The transition between these is an important area of science and the terms fluidity and viscosity - which have opposite meaning - describe the resistance to flow at the molecular level due to internal friction, which varies between materials and according to temperature. So water is a liquid form of solid ice and water vapour gas, glass is a solid which flows at high temperatures but not at room temperature, and pitch does flow at room temperature but very very slowly :P In the real world - in other words outside of a lab :lol: - everything has some viscosity, which is measured in units called "poises". The links I gave probably answer your questions but if you really really want more geeky stuff plus some nice complicated equations then here's another specially for you :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

Sounds so cool. :D

And thanks for the links. :)

• Like 1

I was only referring to "everyday matter"  ;) But you're right, all the interesting stuff seems to be in the transitional phases :)

Bose-Einstein Condensate.

'The collapse of the atoms into a single quantum state is known as Bose condensation or Bose-Einstein condensation is now considered a 5th state of matter.'

- a kind of opposite to the super-heated state of plasma, condensate occurs with super-cooling.

Edited by Iarwain

Hmm, good thing milk ain't as thick as pitch, making cheese would be impossible..  What would become of pizza?  Scary thought!