Ender's Game

Orson Scott Card had to make a big concessions to make Ender's Game. Ender isn't the little kid that he was in the book. In the movie, he's more like ~16 and it's a hanging point that Card had twice shot down projects over. They have compressed the time that he's in battle school from years to months.

It was just too hard to get a kid that age with the appropriate acting chops and they couldn't make a movie eight hours long..

I recently listened to the audio book version of EG while driving a LONG stretch on a recent job.

As much as I detest Card, I hope the Hollyweird crowd (a bunch that I don't care for for their cynical disregard for making GOOD movies) doesn't whore out his classic.

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 1

yeah butterfly had a growth spurt and I bet they had to resort to camera tricks like in LOTR

why not make it a two parter? we're use to it ...

even a three parter ... jackson teaching us to get use to it with the hobbit

do a hatchet job of the book and the fans will be upset

with today's filming technology and proper planning its possible to do the Ender's Series

and be 85% true they could make butterfly look six years old by making him a computer character like in advatar there's a lot of things you can do when you have a blockbuster budget

gosh it sounds like their wasting the 110million dollar budget by doing it wrong

It hurts the project when their digital effects company goes bankrupt

it hurts when the series has a LGBT demographics problem

I don't know if they resolved that issue of the card's story?

but this won't be the first syfy film that had this issue ie: Cameron's Avatar

its upsetting when Disney gave up on Narnia series ... the concept leaves it open to even a tv series

if Ender's game was made into a TV or cartoon series .... would that be better than films?

any way in the Wizard of OZ .. Dorothy suppose to be 10yrs old

we put up with Judy and played a long with the story

but a ten yr old couldn't sing like Judy

Aren't we glad we had Judy or would Temple have done a better job?

Orson Scott Card had to make a big concessions to make Ender's Game. Ender isn't the little kid that he was in the book. In the movie, he's more like ~16 and it's a hanging point that Card had twice shot down projects over. They have compressed the time that he's in battle school from years to months.

It was just too hard to get a kid that age with the appropriate acting chops and they couldn't make a movie eight hours long..

I recently listened to the audio book version of EG while driving a LONG stretch on a recent job.

As much as I detest Card, I hope the Hollyweird crowd (a bunch that I don't care for for their cynical disregard for making GOOD movies) doesn't whore out his classic.

Edited by hh5

If you've read one Card book you've pretty much read them all.  For a writer who always has the main character be a geeky social reject he doesn't seem to have a problem being the bully.

• Like 2

Asa Butterfield does an AMA on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1dxm81/i_am_asa_butterfield_star_of_films_such_as_hugo/

He shows up in the Enders Game movie trailer thread too: 

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/1dvsdc/enders_game_trailer/

His name there is stimpers, not sure what he talks about, I didn't read the threads, I don't care enough, read at your own risk, etc

* I spend too much time on reddit

I keep that in mind when I will soon take a look at the comic books and audiobooks

lol, so you're saying one movie is good enough, lol

If you've read one Card book you've pretty much read them all.  For a writer who always has the main character be a geeky social reject he doesn't seem to have a problem being the bully.

Edited by hh5

I keep that in mind when I will soon take a look at the comic books and audiobooks

lol, so you're saying one movie is good enough, lol

I don't know about the movie you can get by on one book.  David Eddings is not much different.

Why does Ender's Game sound familiar.... *shrugs*

I've never been able to read Card's works I found them dull and boring...

JMH I love Eddings, however I can't imagine a movie being made from one of his series or books... (don't get me started on when his wife helps him write stories...THOSE were unispired. )

Btw HH5 I had a hard time imaging them being able to make a movie from the 3rd book in the Narnia series, much less any more... as I recall the 3rd book had very little to do with the plot of the movie... :/ BUT it's been since Middleschool since I read the Voyage of the Dawntreder.

JMH I love Eddings, however I can't imagine a movie being made from one of his series or books... (don't get me started on when his wife helps him write stories...THOSE were unispired. )

Btw HH5 I had a hard time imaging them being able to make a movie from the 3rd book in the Narnia series, much less any more... as I recall the 3rd book had very little to do with the plot of the movie... :/ BUT it's been since Middleschool since I read the Voyage of the Dawntreder.

I thought Voyage of the Dawn Treader was a very good adaptation, and it's my favourite Narnia book as well. I really enjoyed it very much.

• Like 1

I loved it too

The issue with the Narnia series is the fate of the original kids we saw in the first movie

Perhaps Disney should make an interpretation of the series or try to understand what the author had in mind

but its fascinating initial concept that would make a good TV series but the audience needs to get used to the characters changing

I guess we have to wait for fans to cry for another Narnia movie or tv series

I thought Voyage of the Dawn Treader was a very good adaptation, and it's my favourite Narnia book as well. I really enjoyed it very much.

card does have comic books, lol

but i wonder how much of his anti-lbgt beliefs are in his works

I also wonder if avatar2 n 3 will carry camerons beliefs or not?

I hear that hard core syfy is hard to make into movies

ie: What do you think of Syfy RiverWorld? 

I loved it too

The issue with the Narnia series is the fate of the original kids we saw in the first movie

Perhaps Disney should make an interpretation of the series or try to understand what the author had in mind

but its fascinating initial concept that would make a good TV series but the audience needs to get used to the characters changing

I guess we have to wait for fans to cry for another Narnia movie or tv series

There was a TV-series. It was terrible. Low budget, bad acting, the works. :P

Science fiction is in need of a new direction outside of human conventions or morality tales, Sci-Fi was originally based on imagination for better or worse of mankind, but much of it is rehashed over and over again.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ender's Game and a lot of Science fiction novels, but there needs to be more in science fiction than human themes and perspectives that have been done for decades.

On the flip side, Hollywood sugar coats science fiction and fantasy movies, not wanting to push the boundary of audiences or an implied moral/ethical frontier that certain types of things can't be made into movies, i.e. kids can't go to war among other things unless they're teenagers (ugh, the aging effect), dark psychological terror can't be mixed with fictional characters in fictional settings, and unless you are doing a "Saw" tribute, gore cannot be part of standard movies. Show a bifurcated 10 year old's corpse or limbs strewn out on the ground from an alien attack.

Both science fiction writers and movie studios are unable to push their own barriers. Writers can't move beyond human experience to create science fiction. Movie studios can't depict human experience for science fiction. (Without the stunning 3D, Avatar was just dances with wolves)

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Orson Scott Card is a good writer but has some poor views on some things.  (Though, if you read Songmaster, some lines blur a lot)

I tend to keep and artist's work separate from their opinions on thing.  Otherwise, I'd never watch anything from Hollywood, since most of their point of views are something I find somewhere on the scale of treasonous to reprehensible.

Back on topic, This looks like it will be a good movie.  The Enemy's Gate is Down.

yeah bbc over 20 years ago by the book

don't u think now it can be done better

There was a TV-series. It was terrible. Low budget, bad acting, the works. :P

didn't avatar score one for non human wins?

What about enemy mine?

lol, you added a new dimension to me on avatar ... I found it to be like Pocahontas 

DWW ... I not felt that there was a Kevin Costner effect ... I guess we're on the same page by 260years

Sure it be interesting to see a totally non human movie ... lol but still it will have humanoid qualities

I guess when pure syfy makes it to the movies ... we'll find out how successful they are or not

rehash is hard ... perhaps that is the reflection of the writer not having enough life experience or imagination

perhaps a lite introduction into this kind of world ... where the audience has to pick and learn the new things n situations

but that might be the risk ... where it might lose the audience because there's nothing in common to relate to

ie: beings with more than two legs or no legs, more than one head, breathing not O2, different religion n politics

but still there be things to identify ... a market ... a farm ... an industry ... military ,., police ... an outpost

sure it be nice to imagine the universe that really doesn't have man screwing it up, lol

Science fiction is in need of a new direction outside of human conventions or morality tales, Sci-Fi was originally based on imagination for better or worse of mankind, but much of it is rehashed over and over again.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ender's Game and a lot of Science fiction novels, but there needs to be more in science fiction than human themes and perspectives that have been done for decades.

On the flip side, Hollywood sugar coats science fiction and fantasy movies, not wanting to push the boundary of audiences or an implied moral/ethical frontier that certain types of things can't be made into movies, i.e. kids can't go to war among other things unless they're teenagers (ugh, the aging effect), dark psychological terror can't be mixed with fictional characters in fictional settings, and unless you are doing a "Saw" tribute, gore cannot be part of standard movies. Show a bifurcated 10 year old's corpse or limbs strewn out on the ground from an alien attack.

Both science fiction writers and movie studios are unable to push their own barriers. Writers can't move beyond human experience to create science fiction. Movie studios can't depict human experience for science fiction. (Without the stunning 3D, Avatar was just dances with wolves)

Edited by hh5

Orson Scott Card is a good writer but has some poor views on some things.  (Though, if you read Songmaster, some lines blur a lot)

I tend to keep and artist's work separate from their opinions on thing.  Otherwise, I'd never watch anything from Hollywood, since most of their point of views are something I find somewhere on the scale of treasonous to reprehensible.

Back on topic, This looks like it will be a good movie.  The Enemy's Gate is Down.

Songmaster, ehh....not going to go into a full rant about the difference between Homosexuality and Pederastic relationships, nor the stupid plot point about the destructive nature of Card's characters.

Let's all cross our fingers and pray this is not another Battlefield Earth. I liked Ender's game as a Novel, but Hollywood has some really bad screenplay techniques.

Edited by W_L

card does have comic books, lol

but i wonder how much of his anti-lbgt beliefs are in his works

I also wonder if avatar2 n 3 will carry camerons beliefs or not?

I hear that hard core syfy is hard to make into movies

ie: What do you think of Syfy RiverWorld? 

Basic rule of thumb:  the older the Card book, the less likely he is to turn it into an anti-LGBT rant.  Ender's Game has very little homophobia; the Speaker series has a little, the Shadow series starts okay and devolves into an unreadable hate speech manifesto.

It's hard to make SciFi into a great movie in most cases because it's hard to convince a major studio to hand a huge budget to a hard core SciFi project, but there are certainly exceptions, like Avatar or Prometheus.  On the other hand, you can turn out a campy SciFi B movie on a shoestring budget, and actually get decent ratings on SyFy, so it's more an issue that you get a LOT of crappy SciFi movies (because there's a market for them) than that good hard core Sci Fi is especially difficult.