Ender's Game

• 3 weeks later...

On 08 May 2013 - 12:44 AM hh5 said:

any way in the Wizard of OZ .. Dorothy suppose to be 10yrs old
we put up with Judy and played a long with the story
but a ten yr old couldn't sing like Judy
Aren't we glad we had Judy or would Temple have done a better job?

=====

Well...Dorothy "was" whatever age she was supposed to be...THAT's the magic of Hollywood...put a 16 year old in a gingham dress and make the other players appear as though 40-ish or higher, and you've got a 10 year-old!

Thankfully, Judy sang better than Shirley Temple, and Shirley wasn't signed on due to her contract and filming schedule.  Shirley was the first person offered the 'lead' role, that's something that didn't happen very often with younger stars back then.

Edited by KJames
  • 3 weeks later...

A bit late on the topic but I just recently came across the trailer (and consequently read the book). To be honest, the violence in the book surprised me and I don't know how they're gonna manage to insert it in the movie while keeping it for General Audiences (which I'm guessing they want).

Anyway, I'm planning to watch the movie - although I'm not planning to read the rest of the series. I was just falling in love with the whole structure of Battle (or Command) School then all of the sudden fast forward to so many years later. The others are probably good also but the ending of this one made me felt betrayed. Hehe.

Anyway, this is definitely one for the big screen.

A bit late on the topic but I just recently came across the trailer (and consequently read the book). To be honest, the violence in the book surprised me and I don't know how they're gonna manage to insert it in the movie while keeping it for General Audiences (which I'm guessing they want).

Anyway, I'm planning to watch the movie - although I'm not planning to read the rest of the series. I was just falling in love with the whole structure of Battle (or Command) School then all of the sudden fast forward to so many years later. The others are probably good also but the ending of this one made me felt betrayed. Hehe.

Anyway, this is definitely one for the big screen.

According to IMDB, it has an expected MPAA rating of PG-13, actually.

According to IMDB, it has an expected MPAA rating of PG-13, actually.

I guess they couldn't pass it off hehe (or they actually kept those scenes in the movie). Watching the trailer alone, I did not think at all that it was anything other than a movie aimed towards kids (sort of like Spy Kids minus the silliness plus better graphics). Reading the book changed my mind.

I'm actually sort of looking for an alternate book/series now because of Ender's Game.

I guess they couldn't pass it off hehe (or they actually kept those scenes in the movie). Watching the trailer alone, I did not think at all that it was anything other than a movie aimed towards kids (sort of like Spy Kids minus the silliness plus better graphics). Reading the book changed my mind.

I'm actually sort of looking for an alternate book/series now because of Ender's Game.

Yeah, Ender's Game is not for children... You could probably count it as YA fiction, though. It even won an award to that effect, if I'm not mistaken. 

Ooh, I just noticed that Card is co-producing the film. That's good news.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not just his 'personal views' though. If it were, that would be fine. I'm a big advocate for free speech. But I refuse to finance (one of the producers of the movie, as well as being the author, stands to make a big profit from new interest in his books) of an anti-gay activist. Whose spent his money  supporting legislation like prop 8 and the 'kill the gays', Uganda bill, which NOM (who he's an active board member of) and other groups have financially supported.

A good sci-fi flick aside. He won't get a penny from me.

I hear that some people are calling for a boycott of Ender's Game.

Now I didn't like it but I went along with the Chick Fillet thing.

I'm drawing the line at Ender's Game. I suggest a punishing boycott of asparagus as an alternative.

That'll show the bastards!

I suggest a punishing boycott of asparagus as an alternative.

That'll show the bastards!

Hey now, asparagus is a superfood and you definitely don't want that lobby after you.  Your pee will forever be smelly. :P

• 3 months later...

'Ender's Game' achieves orbit to hit No. 1 at theater

Despite threats of a boycott, Ender's Game rocketed to an easy win at the box office this weekend, giving November a strong start after an unpredictable October.

The Harrison Ford sci-fi adaptation collected $28 million, according to studio estimates from Rentrak.

The debut met most analysts' expectations, though several organizations announced boycotts protesting anti-gay marriage comments made by the book's author, Orson Scott Card. The gay rights group Geeks OUT said that it had more than 11,000 signatures on its "Skip Ender's Game" petition.

The organization said Sunday it wasn't discouraged by the No. 1 debut. "Skip Ender's Game was a grassroots campaign with the primary goal of raising awareness of author Orson Scott Card's activism against the (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community," says Geeks OUT spokesman Patrick Yacco. "To that end, we succeeded beyond our own expectations."

Don't they look alike??

8697210_gal.jpg

asa-butterfield-399x600.jpg

Well maybe they're related, it's not that uncommon actually.

There are several actors and presidents who are all related in some form.

On 08 May 2013 - 12:44 AM hh5 said:

any way in the Wizard of OZ .. Dorothy suppose to be 10yrs old

we put up with Judy and played a long with the story

but a ten yr old couldn't sing like Judy

Aren't we glad we had Judy or would Temple have done a better job?

=====

Well...Dorothy "was" whatever age she was supposed to be...THAT's the magic of Hollywood...put a 16 year old in a gingham dress and make the other players appear as though 40-ish or higher, and you've got a 10 year-old!

Thankfully, Judy sang better than Shirley Temple, and Shirley wasn't signed on due to her contract and filming schedule.  Shirley was the first person offered the 'lead' role, that's something that didn't happen very often with younger stars back then.

really I thought she was a teenager when i watched the movie even when i was a child... although as a child I didn't much think about it... more along the lines of this is a cool movie...

~~~

i've seen a few previews of Ender's Game... of late...

"Their invasion nearly destroyed us" ....

my thoughts are... Oh did it, if that's the case Earth would nearly be a blackened wasteland... :P or as I am particularly fond of saying... Bombarded back to the stone age :evil:

if they nearly destroyed our military, that is another matter all together...

even if they reduced us from a multiple planet people to a single planet people, that is still not Quite nearly destroying us :P

• 5 months later...

Just saw the movie and read the wiki

Its terrible that a lot of the novels\short stories got compressed into 114 min

perhaps it means asa butterfield won't be doing a sequel unless we wait for him to be 40

since hollywood doesn't follow the story any way ... maybe he'll do a sequel when he's 18-20

this movie like compressing harry potter 7 novels into 114min and potter still looks like he's 10

The movie was nice but it didn't surprise me 

it reminds me of Starship Troopers w/o the troopers

did anyone guess what the bugs represent besides a character in the story??

the issue w bug movies ... is coexistence done with a can of raid?
Starship Troopers is battle after battle after battle w bugs 

was any one amused w hanna montana actor in the movie?

‘Ender’s Game’ Sequel Could Be an Original Story Not Based on Orson Scott Card Novel

Will a sequel to Ender’s Game ever see the big screen? It’s not a question with a definitive answer. The first film didn’t live up to financial expectations, but it got decent critical praise, meaning a life on home video and On Demand could generate interest in a theatrical follow-up.

In the past, producers admitted there are multiple ideas to continue the franchise, which in the original  Orson Scott Card novels has a complicated timeline. One option is to continue with some sort of TV series. Another is to adapt a new series of novels which take place immediately after the events of Ender’s Game. Now a third option is on the table. Producer Roberto Orci says there’s a chance a sequel could be wholly original story, not based on any of Card’s material.

The quote comes from an interview with Orci done on CraveOnline:

…It could be potentially original because in Speaker for the Dead you pick him up when he’s already a man. There might be an in between step if that happens….That’s why I think the rights that they worked out is it could either be one of the books or it could be original or a mix so that you can do what you need to do for a movie.

To recap, Orson Scott Card wrote a sequel to Ender’s Game called Speaker For The Dead, but it takes place decades after the film and isn’t an action novel. Eventually, he went back and wrote some stories that covered the in-between time period (including Ender In Exile) and is doing a new series of novels, called Fleet School, dealing with the immediate aftermath of the film without Ender’s participation. There are “in-between” steps there, but they may just be jumping-off points for what Orci is discussing.

None of those sound like ideal films to follow up a sci-fi action film with bankable stars, though, so the idea to write something not based on a Card idea is an interesting one. The author obviously comes with his own baggage, but he did create the character and the universe. Would his lack of participation help, or hinder development?

As a fan of Ender’s Game, the book and to some extent the movie, I don’t think there should be a sequel at all. If anything, the idea of Ender’s Shadow as a TV show is interesting but, beyond that, the film got across the ideas in a suitable way. However, an original story picking up after the film with Ender and the queen is something I’d see. What are your thoughts?

Edited by hh5

was any one amused w hanna montana actor in the movie?

Do you mean Bonzo? I thought he was miscast crassly, sadly. He just didn't work for me.

i liked it actually. I thought that given the budget and subject, it was probably the best book to movie adaptation we would get. I don't think it set itself up very well for a sequel though. So it probably won't happen.

i didn't like the movie... or more specifically how the movie ended.

congrates you won the game, oh by the way it wasn't really a game you just anialated an entire species... but in consolation you made us "feel" safe... -_-

Its funny there's two different school of gamers ... the jock kind and the geek kind

reminds me of meatball movies

The question is how many gamers of today would have played the game differently?

Without first contact you don't know who this race is?

In WW2 some japanese learned who the americans are and ToJo didn't ... the bad lesson of making war

yet the Japanese learn the hard way in a small battle w russia and decided to make a non invasion treaty

Why couldn't they do the same w USA?

It seems that the two syfy writers books agree ... its bug wars ... coexistence w bugs is impossible 

It means many books to write about conflict and irreconcilable differences

In Starship Troopers never explain how they came into conflict w the bugs

Since humans ventured into space I suspect humans started the conflict

Bugs breed faster so conflicts escalate faster

War of the World, V, Aliens, n Falling Skies used reptilians as aliens. Humans have a disadvantage of being too primitive 

I've not read cards prequel stories to know if humans started the was or not

It seems to be common to all stories that these pesky aliens eat up their resources very quickly and expand out like crazy

its a 50/50 chance of who will invade who's territory prior to an all out war

i didn't like the movie... or more specifically how the movie ended.

congrates you won the game, oh by the way it wasn't really a game you just anialated an entire species... but in consolation you made us "feel" safe... -_-

This actually was a bit stronger in the book and is a major basis of the sequels.  I actually just pulled "Speaker for the Dead" off my shelf last night and was starting to re-read it.  I may have issues with my money going to this author for various reasons, but his books are fantastic.  The entire Ender/Shadow series are fascinating studies on potential future geopolitics and how people really would react to finding new life out there (ramen).  Certain visualizations are so strong - dropping a stone in the road.  So - if you liked the movie even a little - go out to a good used book store and buy the book.   :-)

PS Buying via used books stores is my passive/aggressive method of assuaging my guilt  :rolleyes:

This actually was a bit stronger in the book and is a major basis of the sequels.  I actually just pulled "Speaker for the Dead" off my shelf last night and was starting to re-read it.  I may have issues with my money going to this author for various reasons, but his books are fantastic.  The entire Ender/Shadow series are fascinating studies on potential future geopolitics and how people really would react to finding new life out there (ramen).  Certain visualizations are so strong - dropping a stone in the road.  So - if you liked the movie even a little - go out to a good used book store and buy the book.   :-)

PS Buying via used books stores is my passive/aggressive method of assuaging my guilt  :rolleyes:

this is why you go to the public library and borrow a book instead of buying it :P

• Like 1