YOU CAN ACTUALLY MAKE GYOZA?  I bow down to you, sir.  The last time I tried making jiaozi (Chinese equivalent) it was a WRECK.  Even Chinese people hear don't just MAKE jiaozi.  Typically they buy them frozen lol.

We made two huge batches for new years, one with pork and one vegetarian. My friend has a party every year where she does a tapas kind of thing and everyone brings a dish. The gyoza was Magpie's idea, but I ended up doing most of it as he had to work. We bought the wrapping frozen, but did everything else from scratch, including a really tasty dipping sauce. It took hours, I pan fried 60 dumplings, but it was so worth it! Tastiest food I ever made.

Edited by Thorn Wilde

We made two huge batches for new years, one with pork and one vegetarian. My friend has a party every year where she does a tapas kind of thing and everyone brings a dish. The gyoza was Magpie's idea, but I ended up doing most of it as he had to work. We bought the dough frozen, ready cut into circles, but did everything else from scratch, including a really tasty dipping sauce. It took hours, I pan fried 60 dumplings, but it was so worth it! Tastiest food I ever made.

Oh...see I made the pi myself.  That was such a b*tch

Tonight we've made the kumquat compote to go with the ice cream, the dipping sauce for the gyoza and the broth for the tom ka gai soup. The latter is currently simmering down. 2,5 litres of liquid is being reduced to 1 litre. This is going to take a while... But now I know how to make Thai chicken broth from scratch! Yay! :D

Waiting for the chicken to cool so I can get it off the bone and put it in zip-lock bags in the fridge until I'm making the actual soup on Friday. Tomorrow we'll make the kimchi salad and possibly the filling for the gyoza, and on Friday we'll do everything else.

Tonight we've made the kumquat compote to go with the ice cream, the dipping sauce for the gyoza and the broth for the tom ka gai soup. The latter is currently simmering down. 2,5 litres of liquid is being reduced to 1 litre. This is going to take a while... But now I know how to make Thai chicken broth from scratch! Yay! :D

Waiting for the chicken to cool so I can get it off the bone and put it in zip-lock bags in the fridge until I'm making the actual soup on Friday. Tomorrow we'll make the kimchi salad and possibly the filling for the gyoza, and on Friday we'll do everything else.

kumquat.  heehee. :D

Right, then! Food from Friday's dinner party! 

I was fully intending to photograph all the food and make it all pretty... but I mostly forgot. 

Menu was as follows:

Starter: Gyoza (Pan-fried Japanese pork dumplings with soy and sesame oil dip)

Soup: Tom Ka Gai (Thai chicken soup with coconut milk, lemon grass, coriander, kaffir lime leaves, chili & green curry)

Main course: Bulgogi (Korean marinated and grilled beef, served with kimchi salad and rice)

Dessert: Ginger ice cream (home-made, covered in roasted coconut flakes and served with kumquat compote)

And here are some very bad photos:

Kimchi salad

Uncooked gyoza

Tom ka gai soup

Ginger ice cream

GarlicScallopedPotatoes2.jpg

I think that this is a fairly common dish to be fair, but I do have a soft spot for a creamy garlic potato bake. My mom taught me to make it from scratch, not using any store bought sauces or anything, and I do tend to go a bit overboard with the garlic and cheese, and use double thick cream too. 

Damn my tummy is grumbling now. :P

GarlicScallopedPotatoes2.jpg

I think that this is a fairly common dish to be fair, but I do have a soft spot for a creamy garlic potato bake. My mom taught me to make it from scratch, not using any store bought sauces or anything, and I do tend to go a bit overboard with the garlic and cheese, and use double thick cream too. 

Damn my tummy is grumbling now. :P

I make a fairly decent one of those as well. :)

Tonight we ate Turkish (we do this regularly)

karniyarik with wild rice

Aubergines stuffed with minced lamb and spices. we added pepper paste and topped it with a faintly cheesy bechamel sauce. recipe available on request, we ate it too quick to take photos.

Aubergines?  Thats an eggplant or in the eggplant family isnt it?  What do you do with the interiors once you have cored it to make room for the stuffing?

Yes, an aubergine is a eggplant. i use the fat purple ones.. the insides get added to the stuffing. stuffing is made with onion, olive oil, lamb, kofte spices, tomato and the inside of the aubergine. c'est delicious.