I love potatoes - my favourite kind is Hasselback potatoes :) nom nom nom :P

potatoes-ct-1585264-l.jpg

I need to know how to make these!!! I love potato dauphinoise

I'm old school.  I think of a sizzlin' T-bone hot off the grill!

I see you T-bone steak, I raise you hickory smoked ribs

• Site Administrator

I bake when I need stress relief, or am upset, or just feel like pampering folks. I love carbs ... but I don't think I have a single favorite 'food'.  Probably one of the best things I make? Cranberry white chocolate biscotti. They look pretty, and yes, they are time consuming to make but truthfully they're very easy to do as well. They taste wonderful with a mocha.

• Like 1

Tonight we are in for soup round two

Onion, Cider and white truffle oil soup, this one won the recipe race last time. Blend after you add the cream, and sieve for super professional finish. if you have white truffle oil use it... i know, but i don't spend money on alcohol or drugs *shrug*

Also Cia your biscotti sound a-mazing. I can i recipe?

I love potatoes - my favourite kind is Hasselback potatoes :) nom nom nom :P

potatoes-ct-1585264-l.jpg

My mum makes awesome hasselback potatoes! 

My favourite thing that I make is spaghetti carbonara. Bacon, garlic, shallots, cream, egg yolk and black pepper. I use wholewheat pasta. I couldn't really give precise measurements because I always make it by feel, but basically, thick slices of bacon, finely chopped garlic and chopped shallots go in a pan. Add cream and black pepper, let boil until it's nice and thick (but not too thick). Take off the heat, add egg yolk (separate carefully so the sauce doesn't get grainy from eggwhite), stir it together, stir in the pasta, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to taste and serve with parmesan. Quick, easy and omg, so tasty! I've never had a carbonara I liked better than my own. :P

• Like 1

I love making lemon curd soufflé - it's a great excuse to use up the insanely large amounts of lemon curd I make

i love lemon curd too. do you have a good recipe Andy? i am making a big batch for meringue pies for the wedding

My mum makes awesome hasselback potatoes! 

My favourite thing that I make is spaghetti carbonara. Bacon, garlic, shallots, cream, egg yolk and black pepper. I use wholewheat pasta. I couldn't really give precise measurements because I always make it by feel, but basically, thick slices of bacon, finely chopped garlic and chopped shallots go in a pan. Add cream and black pepper, let boil until it's nice and thick (but not too thick). Take off the heat, add egg yolk (separate carefully so the sauce doesn't get grainy from eggwhite), stir it together, stir in the pasta, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to taste and serve with parmesan. Quick, easy and omg, so tasty! I've never had a carbonara I liked better than my own. :P

oh my gosh! that sounds like heaven! I wish I had more time to cook.

i love lemon curd too. do you have a good recipe Andy? i am making a big batch for meringue pies for the wedding

I live and die by the great Delia Smith :)  This is her recipe (I tweak it by halving the sugar, it makes a more sour curd but it balances the sweetness of meringue).

Ingredients:

grated zest and juice 4 large lemons

4 large eggs

12 oz (350 g) golden caster sugar - you really should use golden caster sugar if you can get it, it does make a difference to using white caster sugar

8 oz (225 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small lumps

1 level dessertspoon cornflour

Method:

Begin by lightly whisking the eggs in a medium-sized saucepan, then add the rest of the ingredients and place the saucepan over a medium heat. Now whisk continuously using a balloon whisk until the mixture thickens – about 7-8 minutes. Next, lower the heat to its minimum setting and let the curd gently simmer for a further minute, continuing to whisk. After that, remove it from the heat. Now pour the lemon curd into the hot, sterilised jars, filling them as full as possible, cover straightaway with waxed discs, seal while it is still hot and label when it is cold. It will keep for several weeks, but it must be stored in a cool place.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Lemon curd is really good with homemade shortbread cookies. It's a really nice spring dessert. As for my biscotti:

• Like 2

Ugh!  You all are making me starving.  I don't cook very well and I can't bake worth crap, but the things I do cook I do mostly well.  Spaghetti has only exploded twice.  ...okay three times.  My absolute ultimate food is a family Hungarian recipe, Chicken Paprikash, but with our own family twist.  The recipe has been in my family for about six or seven generations so I'm super proud of it.  It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  Sadly, it requires a lot of things that aren't readily available where I am currently living, so it will be a long while before I can have it again.  As well as most of these delicious foods you all have graciously posted.  At least I'll have something to try when I return home!

Sadly, it requires a lot of things that aren't readily available where I am currently living, so it will be a long while before I can have it again.  As well as most of these delicious foods you all have graciously posted.  At least I'll have something to try when I return home!

Aww sweetie, I feel bad for you *hug*

But you have the opportunity to cook ridiculously awesome chinese food! that's got to be worth something. My Cris is part chinese and his dad makes like, super good chinese food. we never have take out anymore.

Aww sweetie, I feel bad for you *hug*

But you have the opportunity to cook ridiculously awesome chinese food! that's got to be worth something. My Cris is part chinese and his dad makes like, super good chinese food. we never have take out anymore.

Thank you thank you, but I normally leave the cooking to friends, lol.  And I doubt I will ever be able to have takeout again.  It just isn't the same!  Besides, back home there isn't anything as spicy as the food here.  I can never go back.

Thank you thank you, but I normally leave the cooking to friends, lol.  And I doubt I will ever be able to have takeout again.  It just isn't the same!  Besides, back home there isn't anything as spicy as the food here.  I can never go back.

food is a totally legitimate reason to never go home again....

• Like 1

TOTALLY did not mean it like that, lol.  You're right though.  I'll just have to improvise when I DO go home. :D

Let me tell you a little known secret about most Chinese restaurants in the West: If you go in there and speak their language and ask for a dish you ate in China, provided they do food from that province, they will make it for you. Most Chinese restaurants have a 'secret menu' (meaning, ask and you shall receive) for Chinese customers, and the mark of a good Chinese is that a lot of Chinese people go there.

Edited by Thorn Wilde

Let me tell you a little known secret about most Chinese restaurants in the West: If you go in there and speak their language and ask for a dish you ate in China, provided they do food from that province, they will make it for you. Most Chinese restaurants have a 'secret menu' (meaning, ask and you shall receive) for Chinese customers, and the mark of a good Chinese is that a lot of Chinese people go there.

yes. it also works if the family you are marrying into are chinese and their last name is Hing. trust me, we never wait for service or food or anything else.

Aha, thanks for the tip.  However, most Chinese restaurants, and I mean like 90% of them (at least in the states) all cook from the same province of Guangdong.  Or Cantonese food.  The other ten percent is Sichuan and even that is sweeter than real Sichuan food because of the American palate.  I'm in Guizhou.  There ain't nothing like Guizhou food even outside of Guizhou lol.

Aha, thanks for the tip.  However, most Chinese restaurants, and I mean like 90% of them (at least in the states) all cook from the same province of Guangdong.  Or Cantonese food.  The other ten percent is Sichuan and even that is sweeter than real Sichuan food because of the American palate.  I'm in Guizhou.  There ain't nothing like Guizhou food even outside of Guizhou lol.

I feel sorry for you, and blessed for living in such a multi-cultural part of the world.