I am making beef masaman curry tonight, it's one of my bf's favourites. The combination of flavours is amazing. When I have a crap day I like cooking something for people I love and it's been a shocker so curry will make everything good.

I am making beef masaman curry tonight, it's one of my bf's favourites. The combination of flavours is amazing. When I have a crap day I like cooking something for people I love and it's been a shocker so curry will make everything good.

food makes all things better. and like Myigeg said, please share, sounds tasty.

...do you even realize how bad you jacked up my name lol?  :gikkle:

Bad wolf :lol:

*barks* i was typing in a hurry while my boss was trying to talk to me and i should have been listening to whatever-the-fuck-he-was-one-about.

Forgive me Myiege. :lugh:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Today was breakfast for dinner. Eggs, sausage, and homemade muffins. These are 3 berry fruit muffins that I *messed with*. I added blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, replaced the oil with applesauce (except for 2 Tbsp to activate the gluten), cut the sugar down to a cup and a half, and replaced one cup of the flour with wheat bran. The recipe makes a few dozen depending on how deep your muffin tins are.They're actually pretty healthy (for a muffin, lol) but the family said they weren't sweet enough. Ingrates!

IMG_20130806_180218_213_zpsf6b4d912.jpg

Recipe can be downloaded here:

• Site Administrator

I think the sale part would be the rub. A free GA cookbook would be okay, but someone would have to get permission from all the participants and collate it into one consistent format before I could eBook it. I just don't have time to do the footwork myself. I could create a cover, convert it from Word, and post it for everyone though.

Today was breakfast for dinner. Eggs, sausage, and homemade muffins. These are 3 berry fruit muffins that I *messed with*. I added blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, replaced the oil with applesauce (except for 2 Tbsp to activate the gluten), cut the sugar down to a cup and a half, and replaced one cup of the flour with wheat bran. The recipe makes a few dozen depending on how deep your muffin tins are.They're actually pretty healthy (for a muffin, lol) but the family said they weren't sweet enough. Ingrates!

IMG_20130806_180218_213_zpsf6b4d912.jpg

Recipe can be downloaded here: attachicon.gifBerry Blue Muffins.docx

I am a muffin-maniac, but I will have to adjust it to be gluten-free so my husband can have it too.  Not an easy task really, but looks worth doing.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Maybe you can use a combo of brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour and xanthan gum? Wild Oats/Whole Foods might carry all that. My sister in law is gluten free so I've been trying things and that seems to be a good replacement for wheat flour. It'd be uh... 4 cups of brown rice flour, 1 1/3 c. potato starch, 2/3 c cup tapioca flour, 4 tsp. xanthan gum. Put it in a covered container in thee fridge for at least 8 hours before using for best flavor. It'll end up being more than you need, since you use the same amount of this mixture as you'd of regular flour, but if you like to bake you can leave it in a tightly covered bowl in the fridge for a few days.  I'm sure you know all this but anyway. :)

• Like 1

I think the sale part would be the rub. A free GA cookbook would be okay, but someone would have to get permission from all the participants and collate it into one consistent format before I could eBook it. I just don't have time to do the footwork myself. I could create a cover, convert it from Word, and post it for everyone though.

Just wondering how hard you think it would be :). I would really love to get this sort of thing off the ground (or help to get it off the ground).  Maybe posted a little prematurely...I won't be able to get around to collecting all these until I'm back home I think... >_O;

thanks for the advice though, Cia!  I really appreciate it! :hug:

• Site Administrator

Not knowing for sure, but if you wanted to take on the task you could have people send you word.doc's with their recipes on it. I would warn everyone that they should give credit where credit is due if it is taken from a Best of Bridge cookbook, etc.

Then the person coordinating it would have to take all the different styles, fonts, pictures possibly and put them all into one master Word doc before being submitted. An index of listed items would be good too as well as breaking things into categories, such as muffins (yeah, you need to submit yours Cia ;)  ), meat, seafood, chicken, pies, etc.

Last, based on PMDacey's request, if alternatives to people with have to endure celiacs then maybe an additional section for gluten free recipes or even after the body of the recipe suggestions on substitutions.

Unfortunately like Cia said, it would need to be one or more people to spearhead this and compile it. Since I don't have the time either 0:) these are only suggestions, not a rule of what you have to do. Just sharing my experience for making a couple of charity cookbooks at work.

• Like 1

it was something i was considering before my lack of time came and bit me. this project needs someone organised, with excellent grammar, a kitchen big enough to test all the recipes and the formatting skills to match.....

.....oh Kitt!...

• Like 1

And what makes you think i could get a computer to do that sort of thing?   Now - testing out the recipes....that i can do!  Grammar and spelling - converting and double entry pounds/grams i can do too so there is no translation issues. But formatting and stuff???  AJ help me get out of this one!

And what makes you think i could get a computer to do that sort of thing?   Now - testing out the recipes....that i can do!  Grammar and spelling - converting and double entry pounds/grams i can do too so there is no translation issues. But formatting and stuff???  AJ help me get out of this one!

I could do it. Scrivener actually has a recipe collection template.

Here's what I made for dinner last night.

Baked pancake rolls with mushrooms and bacon

Step 1: Make pancakes. The thin, crepe-like variety, preferably, and not too sweet though some sugar can balance out the saltyness of the bacon pretty well. (I cheated, I bought mine in the shop cause I wanted to make something quick.)

Step 2: Chop mushrooms (I used common white button mushrooms, but I think it would probably be really tasty with chantarelles or portobello), shallots and smoked bacon.

Step 3: Fry bacon. Add onions to fry in the bacon grease. Add a little bit of butter and then the mushrooms. Season with pepper, rosemary and a little bit of thyme. Add cream and let it boil at medium high until the cream is all thick and it's not too saucy.

Step 4: Put some mushroom and bacon mix on each pancake and roll them up. Put them in an oven-safe form and grate some cheese over. Depending on the size of the pancakes and how thick you make the rolls, between two and four pancakes per person should be enough.

Step 5: Put the form in a preheated oven and bake for a few minutes until the cheese is properly melted and golden.

Step 6: Serve with lingonberry jam (if you live near an IKEA you can get it there; if not, American cranberry sauce should be a good alternative).

Note: This dish can easily be made vegetarian by simply removing the bacon. If you do, remember to add some salt or the dish will get kind of boring.

A pancake recipe:

3 eggs

500 ml milk

200 ml flour

1 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

Mix flour, sugar and salt. Add half the milk, stir until it's even and not lumpy. Add the rest of the milk and whisk in the eggs. Leave for at least 30 mins. 

Cook the pancakes in a frying pan in butter at medium-high heat. Don't make them too thick. 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1