OK, so I wanted to ask... (and I don't want to start a flame :P ) but you and rapeseed oil, where do you (all) stand? :)

(and I'm talking about the cold pressed one, not the one you mix with petrol :P)

Edited by paya

OK, so I wanted to ask... (and I don't want to start a flame :P ) but you and rapeseed oil, where do you (all) stand? :)

(and I'm talking about the cold pressed one, not the one you mix with petrol :P)

At least in the US, probably Canada also, it's now marketed as 'canola', which is from improved strains of rapeseed.

Edited by George Richard

I like it. I don't think it tastes much of anything. It's my cooking oil of choice, because it can stand to be heated properly and is without trans fats. For dressings and stuff I stick to olive oil, though. Preferably Greek kalamata oil or Palestinian olive oil from Taybeh, as those are superior in taste. I also use sesame oil sometimes for asian food. For frying meats for more traditional European dishes, though, I usually use butter because nom. 

Funny you should mention rapeseed...it's everywhere in China.  During the winter, there are kilometers and kilometers of these bright yellow flowers and then in early spring they're harvested for the oil.  It's ludicrous the amount of rapeseed we have at least in the lower provinces.

I use olive oil for everything.  I use high quality extra virgin for fresh dressings and frying (it has a much higher smoke point than most other oils) and regular (sometimes called light) olive oil for everything else.  

I made something that is called Ethiopian Red Lentils and Yams.  At least it started out that way, I've tinkered with it a little over time.  It is great in cold weather or when it is hot with a wonderful spice mixture including ginger, cinnamon, fenugeek, allspice and coriander.

tumblr_mpp6w2xb4y1rlznduo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mpp6w2xb4y1rlznduo2_1280.jpg

I made something that is called Ethiopian Red Lentils and Yams.  At least it started out that way, I've tinkered with it a little over time.  It is great in cold weather or when it is hot with a wonderful spice mixture including ginger, cinnamon, fenugeek, allspice and coriander.

tumblr_mpp6w2xb4y1rlznduo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mpp6w2xb4y1rlznduo2_1280.jpg

Yum...willing to share your recipe?

Yum...willing to share your recipe?

I usually double it and I add some meat like sauted chicken or pork.  It would probably be really good with lamb too.  I will also frequently add some other vegies that I have on hand I am always playing with the amount of spice.  I also like to substitute vegetable broth for the water.

1/2 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1/2 small sweet potatoes or 1/2 small yam, diced
1/4 red sweet bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon olive oil
2-3 tablespoons red lentils
1 -2 teaspoon tomato paste
1 cup water
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions
saute the onion, garlic, ginger and yam in olive oil at medium heat until the onions are almost translucent.
add the red bell pepper and saute for an additional minute.
add the lentils, tomato paste and water.
bring water to a boil.
add the paprika, coriander, allspice, fenugreek and ginger.
lower heat slightly and allow the stew to simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender and all the water absorbed.
  • Like 1