So don't call em pancakes cia - tell em they are wrappers - similar to burrito but better.

Come to think of it - burrito wrappers could stand in if you are in a hurry and can't buy pancakes the way Thorn did.

Wow! You know, I am in awe of you, Sasha! :hug:

Will you cater my hypothetical wedding? :P

If you're marring Magpie, then YES!!!! of course yes my love. i will bake all of your delicious things. but only if you put me up for a week and give me the kitchen! xxx

• Like 1

If you're marring Magpie, then YES!!!! of course yes my love. i will bake all of your delicious things. but only if you put me up for a week and give me the kitchen! xxx

I'll do you one better; I'll give you my mother's kitchen, which is big enough to work in. :P

If i do the dishes can i come too?

Of course! I'm sure Sasha could do with some assistance, too. ;)

I'll do you one better; I'll give you my mother's kitchen, which is big enough to work in. :P

Of course! I'm sure Sasha could do with some assistance, too. ;)

This all sounds like an excellent plan! be there with bells on. i may even invent you another whole kind of cake.

• Like 2

Friend made "cake" for his bbq. Cut a watermellon(seedless)into the shape he wanted and frosted with a coconut cream and powdered sugar frosting.

that sounds really weird..... watermelon plus vodka. much better...

Tasty sauce for stir-fry I just composed:

Ginger beer

Low-sodium soy sauce

Chilli flakes

Sesame oil

Sesame seeds

Corn starch

Fry whatever you're making stir-fry from (I just used sliced pork and onion) in sesame oil. Add sesame seeds. Add ginger beer. Add soy sauce to taste. Add chilli flakes to taste. Mix corn starch with a bit of cold water, add to sauce until you've got the consistency you want. Serve with rice or noodles, top with more sesame seeds. Om nom nom!

Edited by Thorn Wilde

Tasty sauce for stir-fry I just composed:

Ginger beer

Low-sodium soy sauce

Chilli flakes

Sesame oil

Sesame seeds

Corn starch

Fry whatever you're making stir-fry from (I just used sliced pork and onion) in sesame oil. Add sesame seeds. Add ginger beer. Add soy sauce to taste. Add chilli flakes to taste. Mix corn starch with a bit of cold water, add to sauce until you've got the consistency you want. Serve with rice or noodles, top with more sesame seeds. Om nom nom!

that sounds awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

This all sounds like an excellent plan! be there with bells on. i may even invent you another whole kind of cake.

Last week I made a new (to me) kind of frozen cake for my sister`s birthday. It was a layered raw lemon-carrot cake with cashew icing and honey-walnut crust. Everyone had a good laugh when I unveiled it, since I only had enough ingredients to cover half the pan.

I got an ice Cream Cake for my Birthday this year.  Four flavours with a vanilla layer as filling.  Was amazing, and not for the lactose intolerant.  

My favourite dish, to cook, at moment is Haggis stuffed chicken breast, served in a peppercorn, whisky sauce.  Surprisingly simple.  :)

I got an ice Cream Cake for my Birthday this year.  Four flavours with a vanilla layer as filling.  Was amazing, and not for the lactose intolerant.  

My favourite dish, to cook, at moment is Haggis stuffed chicken breast, served in a peppercorn, whisky sauce.  Surprisingly simple.   :)

You know, I still have never had haggis... I feel like I should try it some time. Also, apparently, it's illegal to import it into the US, as I learnt at around 4 minutes into this video.

You know, I still have never had haggis... I feel like I should try it some time. Also, apparently, it's illegal to import it into the US, as I learnt at around 4 minutes into this video.

After viewing the formal "presentation of the haggis" ceremony on London TV early one Sunday morning, while suffering through one of the worst hangovers of my life, I have no desire to ever taste haggis or even see it again for that matter.

It's illegal for an individual to import into the US anything containing meat or meat by-products.  Coming back from a trip to the UK, the Dept of Agriculture inspector checked the ingredients on my Nando's Peri-Peri Sauce bottle to make sure there was no meat stock or broth in it.

Most other food items are OK as long as they're in the original packaging, so I don't think that it would be a problem to bring in vegetarian haggis.

After viewing the formal "presentation of the haggis" ceremony on London TV early one Sunday morning, while suffering through one of the worst hangovers of my life, I have no desire to ever taste haggis or even see it again for that matter.

It's illegal for an individual to import into the US anything containing meat or meat by-products.  Coming back from a trip to the UK, the Dept of Agriculture inspector checked the ingredients on my Nando's Peri-Peri Sauce bottle to make sure there was no meat stock or broth in it.

Most other food items are OK as long as they're in the original packaging, so I don't think that it would be a problem to bring in vegetarian haggis.

Haggis is illegal because it contains sheep's lung, which you cannot import into the US regardless. So no, vegetarian haggis probably isn't a problem, but neither do I think Neil would have presented it to Craig on television if it had been. ;)

Ok, ignorant here!  I thought haggis was a dish made with sheep innards of some sort as a primary ingredient?  How could you have vegetarian haggis?

The same way you can have vegan sausages. :P

Vegetarian haggis is made with all the vegetable ingredients in regular haggis, plus lentils, beans and other veg. It looks like a haggis, uses the same spices as a haggis, tastes somewhat like a haggis, and just doesn't have any of the animal bits.

'Proper' haggis is made from sheep's heart, lung and liver, minced and mixed with onions and other stuff and then stuffed into a sheep's stomach. Basically, it's kind of like a sausage, which is meat of some kind (quite often bits not used for anything else), spices and sometimes other vegetable stuff, traditionally stuffed into an animal's intestines. Much the same thing.

...For someone who's never eaten haggis I certainly know a lot about haggis, huh?

Edited by Thorn Wilde

A friend gave me fresh figs so last night for dinner we had an herb salad (the one from Trader Joe's) with fresh Asian Pear, Honey and Mission Figs, red onion, grilled chicken, and blue cheese with olive oil and basalmic vinegar dressing.  

as requested - What To Do With The Bunny Your Husband Shot Through The Head

one large bunny - skinned, gutted, and we jointed it into six

three extra big carrots (we cut ours into irregular chunks)

1 white onion

most of a 600ml bottle of cider

salt, pepper, thyme and flour

put the flour and seasoning with the thyme is a zip lock bag and drop the rabbit pieces in three at a time and toss to coat. fry in a decent frying pan with olive il and a tbsp of butter until browned.

put the leg pieces of the rabbit in a casserole dish

fry the onion, add more butter if needed. when soft place the onions in the casserole dish

toss the carrots in the remaining flour and fry for a few mins (this helps them keep their shape) place in the casserole dish with any remaining flour.

Deglaze the frying pan with some of the cider and then add cider (and mead) until the rabbit is just covered. bake in the oven for 45mins at about 160c.

add the saddle pieces (these take much less time to cook)

cook for between 1-2 hours depending on when dinner is served. you need the rabbit to be soft and falling off the bone. if you are smart as you are serving out you can remove most of the bones, watch out for the trick ribs and short bones from the shoulders.

if enough people want it, next time we kill a bunny, i will do a photo play by play of how to gut and joint if someone *coughAJ cough* shows me how to do that spoiler thing for images so we don't scare the little ones.

• Like 1