I feel sorry for you, and blessed for living in such a multi-cultural part of the world.

Don't feel bad for me!  I'm one of very few foreigners that live and experience the life here.  I love it, don't get me wrong.  It really just means I'll have to suck it up and learn how to cook! :)

Aha, thanks for the tip.  However, most Chinese restaurants, and I mean like 90% of them (at least in the states) all cook from the same province of Guangdong.  Or Cantonese food.  The other ten percent is Sichuan and even that is sweeter than real Sichuan food because of the American palate.  I'm in Guizhou.  There ain't nothing like Guizhou food even outside of Guizhou lol.

That sucks. I've never eaten Chinese food in America...

• Site Administrator

Yeah, that sort of thing holds true for just about anywhere though. Don't even get me started on Northerners trying to make grits! *shakes head* I was born in the south and raised on southern food, even though I mostly lived in the Pacific Northwest. Different regions of the US make a distinct variety of food. Of course, there is a lot of cross-food making but I have never gotten a good bowl of grits, fried okra, or hushpuppies outside of my own family or actually going down south.

My own food is a blend of the style I grew up with and the style of my region, the Pacific Northwest, that focuses a lot on natural food and healthy options. So, while I make a kick ass fried chicken, I prefer to use an egg wash and panko bread crumbs over bonless, skinless breast meat drizzled with olive oil and baked instead of a buttermilk wash, wet breading, and deep frying mixed pieces, on the bone, like Grandma always did.

• Like 1

I have to say, I honestly never knew how good chicken could be until I had fried chicken in the US. It probably wasn't even very good fried chicken, I had it at a sports bar at the hotel resort we stayed at in San Diego, but I have never, before or since, had juicer, more awesome chicken than I got there.

So, while I make a kick ass fried chicken, I prefer to use an egg wash and panko bread crumbs over bonless, skinless breast meat drizzled with olive oil and baked instead of a buttermilk wash, wet breading, and deep frying mixed pieces, on the bone, like Grandma always did.

I think you should write about food for a living.... i'm hungry again.

• Site Administrator

I have to say, I honestly never knew how good chicken could be until I had fried chicken in the US. It probably wasn't even very good fried chicken, I had it at a sports bar at the hotel resort we stayed at in San Diego, but I have never, before or since, had juicer, more awesome chicken than I got there.

If you have it, soak your chicken in buttermilk for 20 minutes before breading and cooking. It does make for very tender meat. I just start with free range, never frozen, chicken breasts off the ribs and make sure I don't over cook it.

I think you should write about food for a living.... i'm hungry again.

LOL. I have been thinking about writing a food based story. :)

LOL. I have been thinking about writing a food based story. :)

I wrote a story that featured a lot of food. Finding Atlantis has lots of food. People tell me that the descriptions make them hungry.

Ugh!  You all are making me starving.  I don't cook very well and I can't bake worth crap, but the things I do cook I do mostly well.  Spaghetti has only exploded twice.  ...okay three times.  My absolute ultimate food is a family Hungarian recipe, Chicken Paprikash, but with our own family twist.  The recipe has been in my family for about six or seven generations so I'm super proud of it.  It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  Sadly, it requires a lot of things that aren't readily available where I am currently living, so it will be a long while before I can have it again.  As well as most of these delicious foods you all have graciously posted.  At least I'll have something to try when I return home!

And it would make me feel all warm and fuzzy Inside if you'd be willing to share that Chicken Paprikash recipe. :)

• Site Administrator

Grits...

That's like polenta. right? :huh:

Same basic product, though polenta is actually made from corn meal and grits are made from ... well, the parts of the corn that isn't chaff but doesn't grind up small enough to be cornmeal.

I wrote a story that featured a lot of food. Finding Atlantis has lots of food. People tell me that the descriptions make them hungry.

I like to at the very least mention what my characters are eating or drinking in a scene, makes it more vibrant. There's actually getting to be a lot of food and drink description in Lavender & Gold.

Family recipe.  Family secret.  Sorry! :)  I'm super excited someone else knows what it is though!

:/  It was worth a try. I do make a Chicken Paprikash. If I PM you with my version, would you be willing to...let me know if I'm close? 

:/  It was worth a try. I do make a Chicken Paprikash. If I PM you with my version, would you be willing to...let me know if I'm close?

Absolutely! ;)

I'm not close. But now I have ideas.