Taking on Starbucks

wildone

• Site Administrator

I remember seeing a similar letter many years ago in relation to a wine listed as being French Colombard. Some lawyers were threatening legal action because the wine in question was not from France. In that particular case, the people being sued came up with a wonderful letter pointing out that that was the name of the grape variety, and commiserating with the lawyers regarding french fries, french kissing, the movie The French Connection and lots of other items. Unfortunately, I can't find that letter online because it was a similar masterpiece to unreasonable over-policing of trademarks.

• Like 1

Here's how this story was covered in St. Louis:

200x44_pd_stl_logo.jpg
STARBUCKS
Local brewer's response to Starbucks cease-and-desist goes viral
52c4159fc0fd3.preview-300.jpg
DECEMBER 31, 2013 3:15 PM  •  BY IAN FROEB IFROEB@POST-DISPATCH.COM 314-340-8348

A local craft brewery's tongue-in-cheek response to a cease-and-desist letter from attorneys for Starbucks has become a viral sensation, with mentions on NPR's "Morning Edition" radio program and the website Gawker.

"It's just been insane," says Jeff Britton, owner of Exit 6 Pub and Brewery in Cottleville.

The story began in early December, when Britton received a letter from a law firm that represents Starbucks in trademark disputes. The coffee giant had learned that three users of Untappd, a social-media app for beer fans, had "checked in" to (that is, drank) an Exit 6 beer called Frappicino.

This name, the law firm noted in its letter, was "phonetically identical" to Starbucks' trademarked frozen drink Frappuccino. The letter ended with a stern "request" that Britton cease using the name Frappicino.

In fact, Exit 6 doesn't make a beer called Frappicino. The name refers to a combination of pours of the brewery's Vanilla Cream Ale and a Founders Brewing Co. beer.

On Dec. 26, Britton posted photos of the law firm's letter as well as his reply on Exit 6's Facebook page. Calling the beer in question the "F Word" instead of Frappicino to avoid the "risk of further lawsuits," Britton wrote, "...we meant no deception, confusion, or mistaking in the naming of the beer the F Word. We never thought that our beer drinking customers would have thought that the alcoholic beverage coming out of the tap would have actually been coffee from one of the many, many, many stores located a few blocks away."

Britton continued, "We are bad people. We feel shame."

In addition to promising not to use the F Word any more, Britton enclosed a check for $6, which he claimed was the profit made from the beers that the three Untappd users had drunk.

"We realize Mr Bucks paid [the lawyer] more than Exit 6 made last year," he wrote. "We just want to help a business like Starbucks. Us small business owners need to stick together."

Britton has yet to hear from Starbucks or the law firm that contacted him on the company's behalf. Meanwhile, the media storm shows no signs of slowing down. He will appear via satellite on Fox News' "Fox & Friends" on Thursday morning, and he continues to field phone calls from TV networks, newspapers, magazines and "so many damn blogs."

The question every one, including this reporter, asks: Has Starbucks cashed the check yet?

"Not at this time," Britton reports.

All this tells us - as if we need reminding :P - is that large corporations and fancy over-paid lawyer firms are run by exactly the same dicks you'll find in any walk of life :lol:

starbucks as stupid as a bag full of crabs...

a bag full of crabs is much less stupid when i can turn it into crab salad and/or crabmeat stuffing. Can't think of a damn thing i could do with starbucks coffee - certainly not drink the shit!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am not one of the Starbucks trashers. Their Casi Cielo blend from the Antigua Valley (recently released) is rich and lush. It is a medium roast that comes round about this time every year. With the exception of one year out of the last five or six, it has been damn good every year. If you try it, do not skimp on the beans. I use 24 grams per 9 oz mug of coffee with an Aeropress.

For anyone in the US, Matt's Coffee out of Maine roasts some mighty fine beans using a vintage Italian roaster fired with native sap and fruitwood from the Maine forests. Their Mocha Java blend of beans has been fantastic. The beans are roasted small batch and only to order. You can get the beans through mail-order at a very reasonable delivery cost using priority mail.

For those of you that want to know what the Aeropress is, you can find it on Amazon. I make every cup using it nowadays.

If anyone would like to try, I can highly recommend the Mocha Java or Bird Dog (supposedly espresso but makes a nice cup-a) blend. Matt's Coffee