Cute.

However, "Buddy and Pedro, an all-male pairing at Toronto Zoo were put in separate enclosures by keepers who felt they were not making a sufficient contribution to the gene pool."

I thought Canadians were more enlightened.

• Like 1

Not only that, Rustle, but even though this pair is devoted to each other and have made nests together, the spokesperson says they are not gay, just good friends.  I wonder if it makes most people feel better about this pair of penguins to think that way?

Not only that, Rustle, but even though this pair is devoted to each other and have made nests together, the spokesperson says they are not gay, just good friends.  I wonder if it makes most people feel better about this pair of penguins to think that way?

They need to move to san diego :P

Zoos need verile populations in order to maintain new animal stock for attractions. With animal capture laws that prohibit natural sources, zoos must ensure gene diversity and reproductive capacity. I understand it, but it does not mean i like the idea.

We have a pair of lesbian swans in Boston's Public Garden lagoon. They build a nest and presumably one of them lays eggs. The officials had them sexed and they are both definitely female.

What was reported in the article was cross-gender behavior, not same-sex sexual activity, but you're right. It's cute that they're incubating an egg, but some folks would be horrified if one put his ding dong in the other's koochie (no graphic posts, remember).

They need to move to san diego :P

Zoos need verile populations in order to maintain new animal stock for attractions. With animal capture laws that prohibit natural sources, zoos must ensure gene diversity and reproductive capacity. I understand it, but it does not mean i like the idea.

I was joking, and I understand they have limited resources to maintain their captive populations. They're managing their breeding stock just as a rancher might. But kids who grow up on a farm or ranch learn that sometimes, your breeding stock won't, so you change things up to see if anything develops. Sometimes, it just won't happen, even then, so you go to plan B. Geld the stallion to sell him as a riding horse, or slaughter and butcher the bull. In the case of penguins, they keep the individuals for the attraction.