Gay clubs

So I'm starting Uni this year (like two weeks from now) and one of the things I noticed in the uni brochure was a list of clubs, one of which was a gay society. So what I'd like to know is:

Have you been involved in a gay club (high school or uni)?

What were your experiences?

Would you recommend it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Wynter

It depends on the club and people involved.

Some are social mixers that involve the same 12 flamers every two weeks. If you don't sleep with any of them, then you must be stuck up or something. Not so fabulous.

Others like GSAs are often service oriented and do volunteer work. You might end up building a Habitat for Humanity home next to hammer swinging hunks. :lmao:

I almost joined one once!.......But then I didn't.

I'd think James is right, depends on the club and the people. Might as well give it a go though, you can always quit going to the meetings if you don't like it, and it'll be a good chance to meet new people.

Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

I was a member of a gay club back at my community college in Modesto. It was a mixture of the social and volunteer club and I met a long-term boyfriend who is still my best friend at one of those meetings. I also became very politically active from the same club...leading me to eventually get really active in the student and state student government and eventually setting me on the road to where I am today...

If you've never been involved in a gay organization...I say go for it...

I tried to join the GLBT club at my university. I found it to be more of a clique than anything, and promptly left.

However, I will be volunteering at a Transgendered community centre this summer, and I am very excited about it. It gives people a chance to contribute to the community and to meet new people, so I don't feel as if I'm just there to gossip.

I think it depends on the type of club you want to join and what you are looking for. If you want to meet new people, than perhaps a club is good. If you want to promote tolerance and make a difference, perhaps joining a group oriented towards volunteer work is better. I think you should give both a try nonetheless.

Im IN thE gay straight alliance in my school thats what the club is named. My guidence teacher runs it nd its pretty fun . Thats how ive opened up to being bi theres people that are gay/ bi and theres straight people who think that gays/bi people gettin made fun of is wrong honestly i think they are in the closet but you never know

First of all thanks to evryone fot their input.

I think after hearing this I'll have a look but I'll probably just observe them for a while to see what they're like. The last thing I need is someone exposing me because of some 'accept us or get f***ed' attitude. If this group doesnt respect it's members need for privacy they'll never hear a peep out of me. I really do hope they're decent though coz it would be nice to finally meet gay people and have someone i can talk to without constantly censoring my own thoughts.

Thanks all

Wynter

I was in a GSA at my old high school last years for a little while... actually I was forced into going by a bi girl who had a crush on me... anyway the people were nice and often just talked when there wasn't to discuss about the club or upcoming events, that might be what yours is like as I imagine most would be. I know there is a gay club at my college called PRIDE, but I couldn't find any information on it, so f**k it. Also the only other buy on campus I have talked to who also is interested in males just wants to get into my pants... not to be racist or anything but somehow I don't think a tall skinny white boy and a short stocky black man would click very well... but that's just me.

I was in a GSA at my old high school last years for a little while... actually I was forced into going by a bi girl who had a crush on me... anyway the people were nice and often just talked when there wasn't to discuss about the club or upcoming events, that might be what yours is like as I imagine most would be. I know there is a gay club at my college called PRIDE, but I couldn't find any information on it, so f**k it. Also the only other buy on campus I have talked to who also is interested in males just wants to get into my pants... not to be racist or anything but somehow I don't think a tall skinny white boy and a short stocky black man would click very well... but that's just me.

So this gay/straight alliance is a common thing in US schools? I couldnt imagine something like that taking off in Australia. In fact the mere thought of the uproar it would cause is enough to give me a headache. It does sound interesting though.

Wynter