Here we go again

wildone

• Site Administrator

So not sure if you all recall back during the Salt Lake City winter Olympics that there was a huge controversy with the fixing of scores in the Ice Dance Competition.

After the French judge was called on it and testified that it was a backdoor deal to give the gold to the Russians no matter how they did, she admitted to all of it. In lieu of taking the gold away from the Russians who did not win it, it was instead decided to give gold medals to the Russians and the Canadians after the Olympics and the investigation.

So what the Ice Dance Federation said is they were going to implement sweeping changes including adding technical judges to ensure this won't happen again.

Fast Forward to last week. Ironically, the French, released just before the Olympics the the Russians and Americans have done a backdoor deal to keep the Canadians once again off the Gold Medal Podium. In agreement, the Russians would take the gold in the team competition and the Americans would in turn take the gold in the Ice Dance competition. This prediction came half true on the weekend when surprisingly (not) the Russians won and the Canadians second with the Americans 3rd.

I personally agree with the approach of the Canadian's. They will await the outcome of the finals and then, and if by independent review (not through Canadian Rose Coloured Glasses) find there may have been something untoward, they will then launch an official protest,

Seems like this corrupt sport never seems to learn from their mistakes :( Then again, I and the French may be proven wrong :P

• Site Administrator

I think calling the sport corrupt is too strong, though if there really is a backroom deal it's justified to call some of the people involved corrupt. However, this is a sport that has a strong subjective component, and that's where opinions can vary. The same applies with diving and gymnastics in the summer Olympics -- judges making a subjective call as to how well a competitor has performed. There are technical components to both of those sports, too, but they're not 100% objectively determined.

As far back as I can remember a separate game, which was the winter Olympics in 1960 at Squaw Valley and Tahoe, there has been complaints about the judging in figure skating, pairs figure skating and later ice dancing.  It has always been subjective.  New jumps would be performed and judges would mark a performer or a couple down because it wasn't a regular known and named combination.  Doubles, then triples and now quads are performed.   The performers have always pushed the envelope with the judges usually at least four years behind the times.  

With modern stop action and super slow motion cameras, we as an audience can actually see the intricate movements performed in all their beauty or in some cases sloppiness.  Jumps, triple toe loops, synchronization and timing are indeed much better than even thirty or forty years ago all the while presenting a smooth almost ballet like line.  

So the sport is more of an art, harder to judge and difficult to judge consistently.   It is still some of the most compelling visuals from the games and I think it would be a shame if it were hounded out of the Olympics.  

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 2

• Site Administrator

hmmmmmm, go figure 0:)

Exactly what the French said would happen before the Olympics began

Edited by wildone

This is why I hate "judging sports". Its so easy to corrupt and its so subjective to personal taste that, to me, it loses a lot of its legitimacy. Not that I ever considered figure skating much of a sport anyway...but thats for a different thread I think. :P 

This is an inherent problem with subjective sports.  Is isn't like hockey, basketball or softball, where there teams score or events like track, downhill skiing or the marathon where the event is timed.  As long as the basis is subjective, there will always be room for scandals.  

• Site Administrator

Er... I hate to cause problems (well, maybe not), but any sport that involves umpires or referees includes a subjective judgement. This is speaking from experience, as I was a basketball referee for more than fifteen years. So this includes hockey (field and ice), basketball, softball. baseball, cricket, football (all codes), etc. Now, I'll concede that the degree of subjectiveness is different to sports such as ice dancing, but they've still got an amount of subjective judgement involved. Just look at the controversies that result with what the fans or media consider to be a bad call....

• Like 2

I have to agree with Graeme on that.

Yes, artistic sport, where the judging is more subjective, controversies are bound to happen. However, the same will happen to any sport. How many times a judgement call have been source of discussion in all major sports? It can too affect the outcome of a game.

I just found it really strange how the coach was able to coach both teams you think they wouldn't allow such a thing because it would create controversy. Worse yet is both teams trained on the same rink. And the coach seemed to favor the USA team more from what i saw anyways she didn't have her Canadian jacket on some of the times when she was with Scott and Tessa but quickly would put on her USA one with the other two. 

Though it's still not as big as a scandal for me as Nancy Kerrigan getting whacked in the knee with a Crowbar. Now that was a scandal!

The judging made me laugh a bit for some teams where you lost 1 point if a feather on your costume fell off it's a feather.