Can you now write your book on iPad?

so u would create a stub somewhere but could you write pages n pages on a tablet?

(even with bluetooth keyboard)

Microsoft Office for iPad review: Finally! True productivity on your tablet

Microsoft’s Office for iPad is a collection of three apps: Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. (OneNote for the iPad has been available since 2011, and Microsoft's Lync, Skype, and Yammer are also available.) Users can download each, free of charge, from Apple’s iTunes on an iPad running iOS 7.0 or above. And each is free to use to view documents that have been created elsewhere.

so u would create a stub somewhere but could you write pages n pages on a tablet?

(even with bluetooth keyboard)

Microsoft Office for iPad review: Finally! True productivity on your tablet

Microsoft’s Office for iPad is a collection of three apps: Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. (OneNote for the iPad has been available since 2011, and Microsoft's Lync, Skype, and Yammer are also available.) Users can download each, free of charge, from Apple’s iTunes on an iPad running iOS 7.0 or above. And each is free to use to view documents that have been created elsewhere.

I could also drive from Lands End to John O'Groats in a bubble car - but it would be a miserable experience

• Like 3

I probably could (I've written on my iPhone occasionally, when I haven't got a computer handy) but I much prefer my little laptop to any other writing utensil. Scrivener is the best word processing programme I could ask for, and I just prefer the user interface of any computer to that of a handheld device. Not to mention that I don't have to clean the fingerprints off my screen every ten minutes...

I hate typing on anything that doesn't have 3-D keys. I need the tactile feedback that a laptop keyboard has but a flat, digital keyboard doesn't. When I got my first smartphone, it took me forever to get good at typing on it because I was so used to having a slide phone with 3-D keys. 

• Like 1

I pretty much write everything on my iPad. I have a Bluetooth keyboard also because it's easier for me to use. Everything is saved to my cloud so I can access it anywhere and anytime.

Uploading/posting to this site from iPad isn't worth the effort though.

Edited by Ryan Jacobs

The way I see it iPad is not a device for serious general computing activities. There are particular uses where it  works very well but outside of those it's a nice-to-have toy

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

There are examples of people using the ipad as for more than just a toy. David Hockney, the British artist, is just one. Here is a New York Times article dated Jan. 10th:

the-ipad-is-an-artists-canvas-for-david-hockney

The iPad and other touch-pads may not be perfected yet, but it hasn't stopped many, and varied, artist from exploring its uses.

If one is willing to pay the annual fee to use Microsoft's Office application, it is very possible to write on the iPad and on Window's touch screen computers. I used Apple's bluetooth keyboard and wrote parts of several stories on my iPad (when waking in the middle of the night with an idea) and no waiting for the boot of the PC, just start typing. I used the Notability app at the time because its set to back up to Google docs. I probably won't pay for MS's annual fee but it is a viable option nonetheless.

• Like 1

lol, the tablet vs the pc, here we go again ... but is the tablet worth the price of a laptop?

sounds like some may say yes n some no

Edited by hh5

I could use my Samsung tablet, I even have a bluetooth keyboard, but before I do that I use pen and paper when I get an idea in the middle of the night, or listened to a conversation I could use somewhere on the streets. I still have a little black notebook I carry around all the time for this. :*)

• Like 1

There are examples of people using the ipad as for more than just a toy. David Hockney, the British artist, is just one. Here is a New York Times article dated Jan. 10th:

The iPad and other touch-pads may not be perfected yet, but it hasn't stopped many, and varied, artist from exploring its uses.

Absolutely, but I did in fact acknowledge that there are "particular uses where it  works very well" and these are many ranging from, say, stock control through to, as you point out, novel and interesting uses by artists, although personally I found the colour palette of Hockney's "iPad art" to be utterly insipid - it doesn't begin to approach the vividness, vibrancy and vitality of his traditionally painted canvases.

If one is willing to pay the annual fee to use Microsoft's Office application, it is very possible to write on the iPad and on Window's touch screen computers.

Absolutely, it is possible. My response, though, is... just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done :P

From my somewhat limited use of iPad it's clear that so much of its functionality is second rate

- the touch screen doesn't like dry skin or my mothers old skin

- the video and still camera function is horrible for serious work

- internet browsing gives you "internet lite" - you don't see the full version of webpages, just the slimmed, trimmed and de-featured version the iPad wants you to see, not the fully featured version I will always want

- the... oh that's enough! :lol:

is android any better? or win8?

Absolutely, but I did in fact acknowledge that there are "particular uses where it  works very well" and these are many ranging from, say, stock control through to, as you point out, novel and interesting uses by artists, although personally I found the colour palette of Hockney's "iPad art" to be utterly insipid - it doesn't begin to approach the vividness, vibrancy and vitality of his traditionally painted canvases.

Absolutely, it is possible. My response, though, is... just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done :P

From my somewhat limited use of iPad it's clear that so much of its functionality is second rate

- the touch screen doesn't like dry skin or my mothers old skin

- the video and still camera function is horrible for serious work

- internet browsing gives you "internet lite" - you don't see the full version of webpages, just the slimmed, trimmed and de-featured version the iPad wants you to see, not the fully featured version I will always want

- the... oh that's enough! :lol: