[DomLuka] DD Chapter 34 - It's Up!

I feel horribly torn. On the one hand Luke's desperation (in my opinion) speaks volumes about his feelings for Rory and a part of me would really like to see a rory /luke ending. But this chapter also made me like Seth a lot more than i have in the past. Some of you seem to think that his restraint is a sign of a less powerful connection but personally I found his willingness to stand aside so that Rory can go where he will be happiest is, well... impressive. He's willing to hurt himself in order to make Rory happy and I, for one, commend him for it.

I expect Rory to go with Alice for a short period but ultimately He'll come back to Arizona. No one could be dumb enough to turn down what he's being offered.

Best paragraph.

Ever.

I agree. The whole 'love you like a new born child' bit was perfect.

Wynter

Edited by Wynter
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

frick. okay, first time i had actual tears in my eyes from reading this story. eddie asking him to stay. i just felt so much for him. i swear. not fair.

edit: i'm also really starting to be able to focus on the major issues of the story, rather than the whole r-s versus r-l debate. it just occured to me that i don't really care about that any more. i just want to see everyone reasonably happy in the end, regardless of who ends up with or doesn't end up with whom.

Edited by Philistine
Best paragraph.

Ever.

Yes it is very good, but it all just adds to my frustrations with Rory - He is such a dork. I continually feel like giving him a whack to make him wake him up to reality. :devil: Why can't he see the all too obvious? He's got to stay and love Seth for ever and ever.

Such a truly hopeless hero.

:(

regards

Gearoid

Yes it is very good, but it all just adds to my frustrations with Rory - He is such a dork. I continually feel like giving him a whack to make him wake him up to reality. :devil: Why can't he see the all too obvious? He's got to stay and love Seth for ever and ever.

I agree with the furstrations part, though I don't think Seth's that important, it's about his family. I see that as more important than the boyfriend, though that may be because I'm still an LRITE fighting a losing cause. And the real frustration with Rory is:

Lately, it seemed like no matter what I said, someone was going to be disappointed in me, and Eddie already looked so tired and depressed that I didn't want upsetting him on my conscience.

Noone would be disappointed if he said he was going to stay!

omg omg omg i hate (LOVE) Dom so MUCH, why the hell does he have to me cry all the time. THAT was BEAUTIFULLY written Dom!! i swear you need to look into having your work published. that way when youre rolling in money you dont have to have a day job and can write full time!!!

That was beautiful, just beautiful. I was tearing up when Eddie told Rory he loved him and when Rory and Luke were fighting. gosh this story just tugs at your heart. You are the master DomLuca :worship: .

Cheers,

Magical Jen

Edited by magical_jen
New screen name Tim?

I don't think Seth's lacking in "umph". Another person yelling at Rory isn't what he needed right then, and he sought out Seth precisely because he knew he would be understanding.

I think we're seeing Luke's less stable side, a bit more of the boy who's already had a family ripped apart once.

my other screenname i made for the live chat room here--sometimes i forget to switch it back after i've been chatting.

i think seth is being awesome throughout the whole situation. he is doing what he should be doing--he's there, not trying to sway rory's decision either way, and just being supportive and there for rory.

i also agree about luke's less stable side. it would seem he has some seperation issues, and i would guess by his extreme reaction, they go beyond rory and the current situation. it sounds like he really needs to deal with his first family being torn away still, but as many have pointed out, all we know about anyone in DD is from the POV of rory.

Such a truly hopeless hero.

:(

regards

Gearoid

well, i know it seems like he is acting like a spoiled little brat, but i think he is doing really well considering the situation he was unwillingly thrown into, especially when information was withheld that could have altered the whole outcome of the end of the summer had it been divulged when the time was more appropriate.

but then again, with OLA(Old Lady Alice) getting married, i think rory will indeed head back home only to have lukes words go through his head again and again"your mom's not there anymore". the truth can hurt, but sometimes things need to be put very bluntly before thay can truly be understood.

:blink::blink:

This exchange between Luke and Rory was powerful. It really shows that Rory isn't thinking clearly and probably needs several good sessions with a shrink (not Jase).

At first I was thinking that Rory would go back with Granny A ( :P Kevin), but I think we'll only have one chapter left. TLW ended at 30, TOU at 25, both divisible by 5 with no remainder...so DD stopping at 35 would be logical (not that I wouldn't mind DD going to 40, 45, 50....).

Take Care

The amazing Mr. Luka has done it again and we need to kneel at his feet to beg for more.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship: : GREEN

I agree with ya Green 100%

Did anyone else get the feeling that this is one of the very last chapters? :blink: While reading it, it seemed almost as if DD is ending at 35, especially because of the whole one week left thing. I don't see this going on longer, I see it ending at Rory making his decision to stay.

I also got the feeling with this chapter that DD is coming to an end :( I also think that Rory is going to stay he can't leave now or not after what Eddie told him I know I would stay if that was said to me.

Great story Dom

:worship: I hail to the mighty Dom Luka ruler of us Domaholics :worship:

rekop1

Guest KCStorm01
I think that what Rory needs is a good swift kick to his rear quarters. I just don't get his reluctance. Ok..I get it a little bit..but to give up on a daily basis..a father..well two fathers. A best friend, a hot boyfriend for his grandmom, who is starting her own chapter of life...doesn't make sense. I think I just sounded pretty cold there. I think he's just scared. But damn if I can't wait til next chapter now.

I totally agree with you, redone. From what has been established, Rory has no reasons to leave and every reason to stay. He's spent the entire summer whining, rightly, about how Alice has lied to him. And, he has a family now that loves him, cares about him and accepts him. Not to mention, he's in a great relationship now! I don't get it either; Where's the hesitance??? :wacko: The answer is clearly 'stay'.

Where's the hesitance??? :wacko: The answer is clearly 'stay'.

Things have not been all great. There was the lies, there was the "Aaron experience".

Even if Eddy, Jase and Luke are good people, they're not perfect. Grandma Alice too isn't perfect but she's a hassle he's used to.

Rory lost the person who was the most important to him. It's pretty normal that he'd try to cling to the rest of what was his life. Which wasn't so bad by the way he described it. It's not like he left Hell for Heaven. It's a bit heartless to think he could move on from his mom's death like that. Not to mention that, hell, Eddy was a stranger 3 month ago and you expect Rory to consider him on the same level than Alice ?

If he had gave in too easily, I would have been very disappointed. But so far his reactions feel just right. Well, I'm not saying that they're wrong or right, I'm saying they're realistic and perfectly understandable if you take some time to put yourself in his shoes.

I can see it ending at 35 too, although there are still a few loose ends ... but I get the feeling that Dom's heart is with WT now ... and I'm already enjoying that one perhaps more than DD, so I'm not complaining. :D

Perhaps you are right. We are obviously at the end of DD But this last chapter did have powerful moments in it. My own personal criticism was that just maybe Seth was a little too laid back. He should have been throttling Rory IMHO.

But the depth of my anger and frustration at Rory is quite simply a tribute to a master story teller. I was right there in that house making awfully evil faces at Alice, trying to keep myself from smacking Rory and wanting to hug (well y'know - Platonic like!! :wub: ) Luke - Precious indeed he is.

As for the comparison between WT and DD, at the moment DD has it, but I think LB is right again when he points out that Dom's skill as a writer is growing. WT may well turn out to be better than DD.

Still having said that there are moments in DD which will stay with me for as much of forever as I have left. Rory's first kiss with Seth for instance was tender and touching and very funny all at the same time.

Gearoid

Tim said:

"i think seth is being awesome throughout the whole situation. he is doing what he should be doing--he's there, not trying to sway rory's decision either way, and just being supportive and there for rory."

My reply:

You are right of course but I cannot shake this feeling that someone ought to give Rory a good pounding (or something!) to wake him up. But maybe Eddie just did that with his declaration of fatherly love.

Tim Said:

it does seem rory could use some professional help--he needs to realize that the way things were are no longer an option--i have a feeling he is about to learn for the first time "you can't go home again"

My reply:

Don't you think Tim that the message is not that you can't go home again but that both home and family are what you cobble together with the people you love throughout life rather than what you are thrown into as a child? I think that might be especially true for gay people who often face rejection from their first family.

Rory's family and home are in Arizona now. His Freudian slip about his mother really show that it is not Alice who is calling him back but mother dreaming.

God knows I have done my share of that and so maybe I should be a little softer on Rory.

Gearoid

The message is not that you can't go home again but that both home and family are what you cobble together with the people you love throughout life rather than what you are thrown into as a child?

Absolutely

Fantastic chapter!

...well, i know it seems like he is acting like a spoiled little brat, ...

it does seem rory could use some professional help--he needs to realize that the way things were are no longer an option--i have a feeling he is about to learn for the first time "you can't go home again"

A spoiled little brat he surely is, but I cannot help but blaming this on his mother, who seems to have clung to him like a barnacle, using her son as a substitute for that unobtainable love of hers. Rory is cute and handsome, so he gets away with his being mother's darling, but just imagine a kid less popular in his place. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Jase will try to talk to him sensibly. Somebody has got to tell him that it would be downright pathetic if he went back to Nevada to indulge in bitter-sweet memories of his deceased mother. Mind, there might be other reasons to return, but this one is definitely a bad one for a 16 year old, who is supposed to move on.

Eh. I'm going to be the one to say it. While I loved the interactions between Rory/Eddie and Rory/Luke, the rest wasn't up to expectation.

Grandma Alice getting married (so quickly) and usurping the "home" Rory knew his entire life is way too deus ex machina for me. And Seth's overly calm response is a little... too calm. Real love isn't about understanding, it's about holding on 'til the wheels fall off and still trucking through it. I still want LRITE. Seth is just getting boring and I can't help feeling like maybe Dom wrote himself into a corner by making Seth so nice, and now is having trouble breaking it off "nicely."

I don't want the next chapter of DD to be the end, but it's starting to get a little long at the same time. I think mostly I don't want it to end because WT is not my favorite story and I was hoping Dom would pick his TLW spin-off back up instead. If he keeps going with just WT I'll probably have to stop reading Dom until he moves on to something else.

Despite my criticisms, DD is still by far my favorite of Dom's writings.

Edited by storymonger

I still want LRITE. Seth is just getting boring and I can't help feeling like maybe Dom wrote himself into a corner by making Seth so nice, and now is having trouble breaking it off "nicely."

I guess what I don't understand is how people keep saying that Seth is boring. IMO, he has cuter qualities than even Aiden had. He

And Seth's overly calm response is a little... too calm. Real love isn't about understanding, it's about holding on 'til the wheels fall off and still trucking through it. I still want LRITE. Seth is just getting boring and I can't help feeling like maybe Dom wrote himself into a corner by making Seth so nice, and now is having trouble breaking it off "nicely."

To me Seth appears even phlegmatic. Leaving out Luke, I would have preferred the Aaron/Rory think to continue in some eruptive manner against all odds. However, DD might be story about second best relationships rather than about real love.

I am still most enthralled by the tension in the medium chapters of TOU, ending with the night Quinn came out to Brad. But was Quinn in real love with Jude? I am under the impression that his relationship with his mother was more important to him, too. Dom pointed to that when he let Quinn stand up Jude.

And Seth's overly calm response is a little... too calm. Real love isn't about understanding, it's about holding on 'til the wheels fall off and still trucking through it. I still want LRITE. Seth is just getting boring and I can't help feeling like maybe Dom wrote himself into a corner by making Seth so nice, and now is having trouble breaking it off "nicely."

While I agree that Seth's response was quite "blah" (and for the people who want to say he's just trying to be strong, supportive, and mature for Rory ... he's 16/17, if he was really, really into Rory, I think he *should* have reacted more strongly, especially considering Rory's issues with self-esteem).

However, I don't think "love" is an issue between them ... neither of them have mentioned it, and I don't even think Rory has considered it. There's almost certainly "love" between Rory & Luke (what kind of "love" that is, I don't know), but Rory & Seth just have a typical teenage romance, they're not lifemates or soulmates or anything.

Oh, wow. She's married. That was a new twist, surely.

There is still a part of the mystery unsolved. The mysterious disapperances of Rory's so called friends. Clearly there is something fishy going on.

While I agree that Seth's response was quite "blah"

Well, kicking people's asses for their own good doesn't seem to be his forte. ^^

But there's also the possibility that, deeply, he just doesn't want to aknowledge Rory's leaving. Not the most mature way to deal with things, but quite appropriate for a teenager.

:( Yes it does look like the end is near. I am one of those who does not like things untidy at endings. I do hope Dom clears everything up for us...

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I think Seth has been most supportive of Rory..he is just there for him right now. He is Rory's rock and center, at least at this point in time.

Great chapter Dom....wouldn't mind many many more....but I think the fat lady is starting to get up on DD........alas..... :(

It may well be romanticism creeping over me, but I'm not ready for DD to end. :(

I'm not one for tieing up all loose ends but I would like to see Luke in a better place than he has been for the last several chapters. I'm not looking for any kind of fairy tale ending for him - just something better than what he has now. Luke's a survivor though, I'll say that. So, Dom, get on that, will ya??? :blink:

Not as important - is Aaron. Frankly, I would really like to see Aaron finally "get it" and straighten out his life, even if it's only a small step.

Hugs,

Conner :boy:

Eh. I'm going to be the one to say it. While I loved the interactions between Rory/Eddie and Rory/Luke, the rest wasn't up to expectation.

Grandma Alice getting married (so quickly) and usurping the "home" Rory knew his entire life is way too deus ex machina for me. And Seth's overly calm response is a little... too calm. Real love isn't about understanding, it's about holding on 'til the wheels fall off and still trucking through it. I still want LRITE. Seth is just getting boring and I can't help feeling like maybe Dom wrote himself into a corner by making Seth so nice, and now is having trouble breaking it off "nicely."

I don't want the next chapter of DD to be the end, but it's starting to get a little long at the same time. I think mostly I don't want it to end because WT is not my favorite story and I was hoping Dom would pick his TLW spin-off back up instead. If he keeps going with just WT I'll probably have to stop reading Dom until he moves on to something else.

Interesting. I think you are probably right about this chapter but still Eddie's declaration of love is wonderful to read. I don't like the Alice character and I cannot for the life of me understand the drama around her not telling rory what she had promised to. That goes like a story line that has squibbed out.

The key for me is the dramatic tension around Rory's need to move beyond the emotional block he has.

Is Seth too bland? Well I tend to agree with this. Does that make him a character without credibility? Not totally but he is in danger of blanding out. Some filth smut and happiness might be the solution here.

Re WT you've got to wait a few chapters and try again. It is really too early to bring in a negative verdict.

Gearoid