Terrible Mall Commercial

methodwriter85

Some mall in Missouri decided to put out a jingle for back-to-school shopping, and...well...

Something tells me that Mark Arbour despite being from the state has never set foot inside that mall.

Edited by methodwriter85

What was that! Unfortunately, it resembles a desperate attempt that the malls in my old stomping grounds back in Ohio might produce. What were once thriving shopping centers have have fallen on hard times . . . along with the shoppers--and again, unfortunately.

sounds worse than the things our kids make at school. Why didn't they just go find the media/film/acting kids from their local high school? Student talent in seriously underrated.

on the other hand, brave.

There's some good reasons why they did this.  First, they made a commercial for almost nothing as compared to a "professional" job.  Second, they got a lot of peoples attention, which is the first goal of any advertising.  Third, the people from some of the shops will now be recognized by some shoppers for having been in the ad. 

Sure it was amateur, but there's nothing wrong with that.  It will probably draw some shoppers, and a lot of people probably got a laugh out of it.  So don't be so hard on them.  They knew exactly what they were doing and it most likely turned out just the way they wanted it to.  :)

• Like 2

I mean, really, they got 1.3 million views. That's not a bad haul at all, and I'm sure that they'll at least get some curious people from near the area to go. All free publicity there, except for the 200 dollars they probably spent paying the high school kid to shoot and edit the ad on his IPhone.

It's like those it's so bad it's good deals, and it's not like professional people haven't come up with anything that bad and cheap-looking:

You realize how many millions of dollars were spent to air this ad for the SuperBowl circa 2004?

Also random...anyone ever shop at Rue 21? It's a good cheap clothing store. I have a polo I got from there like four years ago that I still like wearing.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Advertising is not supposed to be high art or blockbuster film quality, it is made to draw attention and sucker you in to these places.

As for malls, not my cup of tea, I prefer outlets and fighting the other guy for a 70% off polo Ralph lauren during summer clearance.  It is really fun to shop for bargains.

Also random...anyone ever shop at Rue 21? It's a good cheap clothing store. I have a polo I got from there like four years ago that I still like wearing.

Rue 21 is my daughter's favorite place.  Stuff that's same as designer stores for way way cheap.  ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Because I'm into copywriting I read a lot of marketing related articles, and one of my favorite sites ran this article about the mall ad.  Here's the link if your interested:

http://marketingland.com/horrible-east-hills-mall-ad-now-2-million-views-97599

Now back to the deck and some awesome holiday fun!  Hope everyone else is enjoying their day, too!

Edited by Ghostboy