Is up.

Davey's dad seems to be a right bastard, and his 'nag-ma' seems to be a less ympathetic character then previously. No sign of Brian yet, and I think we'll still be waiting for a while.

I loved this chapter! I also wasn't expecting it today. I recall Dan mentioning Wednesday, but for some reason I thought he meant NEXT Wednesday. Seeing it sure made my day!

I'm itching to discuss this chapter, but as it's so new I'll keep the spoilers to a minimum for a couple of days.

In the meantime,

S

p

o

i

l

e

r

S

p

a

c

e

I think one thing mentioned in passing is going to play a major role in the future: Davey's headaches. This is the second time it has been mentioned, and it looks significant IMHO.

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

b

e

l

o

w

I loved this chapter! I also wasn't expecting it today. I recall Dan mentioning Wednesday, but for some reason I thought he meant NEXT Wednesday. Seeing it sure made my day!

I'm itching to discuss this chapter, but as it's so new I'll keep the spoilers to a minimum for a couple of days.

In the meantime,

S

p

o

i

l

e

r

S

p

a

c

e

I think one thing mentioned in passing is going to play a major role in the future: Davey's headaches. This is the second time it has been mentioned, and it looks significant IMHO.

yeah i think it may be significant too, especially realizing the mind is 70 years old now, and been through more trauma than any 1 normally sane person would be able to handle. that and the fact that dan has said he will wrap up this story in 7 more chapters(i think thats what i remebered reading somewhere).

it's kinda nice to see papa taking on the role of davey's rock to cling to--he had the rush's the first time around, and his dad the second, and now he's going to have someone a little more older and wiser to help him.

i also will say this without elaborating-i hope davey does what he needs to do without involving the government in any way--that would just be another disaster.

yeah i think it may be significant too, especially realizing the mind is 70 years old now, and been through more trauma than any 1 normally sane person would be able to handle.

Where did it ever say that Davey started off as sane?!?

0:)

i also will say this without elaborating-i hope davey does what he needs to do without involving the government in any way--that would just be another disaster.

I couldn't agree more.. But, isn't that true when it come to involving the government with, well, anything? :D:D:D:D

Where did it ever say that Davey started off as sane?!?

0:)

Didn't Dan once imply that Davey wasn't sane, by saying that Davey was partially based on himself? 0:)

(Just kidding!!!!!!)

Edited by C James

OK, it's been up for a day and a half now, so I'm hoping it's ok to actually get into detialed chapter discussions? (IF not, please feel free to delete this post).

I really enjoyed the chapter. I liked the way it flowed, and really gave substance to Davey's new reality.

It's clear it's even worse for him, this time around, due to the much younger age. He has to try even harder not to talk like an adult.

I'm also wondering what is going on with the headaches? My predictions; it's either a result of the time travel problem that sent him so far back, or a result of his new body having a smaller, less developed brain (due to age). Either way, I predict this will play a major role eventually.

I'm very curious to see what happens regarding the money, and the Plans Davey clearly already has for future actions.

Davey's father is definitely one of the most complicated and contradictory literary characters I've ever seen. He varied greatly from timeline to timeline, and certainly has a great deal to dislike about him, but as we saw just a couple of chapters ago, eventually has some very redeeming characteristics too, if properly cultivated. Basically, he's very much like plenty of people I've known in real life. I don't mean to slight any of Dan's other characters, but I feel his father is one of the best he's written.

FYI - As long as you put a Spoiler warning, it's perfectly alright to discuss a chapter like this on the day it comes out...and Chapter 34 has just been sent to Myr for publishing.

I've realized that in some ways that might be a mistake when it comes to letting people talk about chapters...putting them out a few days apart really cuts into the 'shelf life' of such a discussion...then again I could be wrong...

Guest timtheslut
FYI - As long as you put a Spoiler warning, it's perfectly alright to discuss a chapter like this on the day it comes out...and Chapter 34 has just been sent to Myr for publishing.

I've realized that in some ways that might be a mistake when it comes to letting people talk about chapters...putting them out a few days apart really cuts into the 'shelf life' of such a discussion...then again I could be wrong...

ok thank you for another chap dan!!

and as far as the shelf life of the discussion, dont worry about it. I for one will beat a dead horse with a stick. as long as i'm not the only one doing it--i like to talk to the voices in my head, but it looks funny having entire discussions with them in the forum, especially when i know more people gotta have something to say about this awesome story!

i like the way papa is handling the money so far too. that is just how my papa woulda been with it. we can look at houses, but if you want a bigger one then you can help out. not that anything like that ever happened with me, i just know how he was, and knowing that he lived through the depression, i know he pinched every penny he ever earned, but would never hesitate to open his wallet if he saw i needed anything or if something small caught his eye he knew i would like.

and daveys dad sounds like he needs to get a grip, and again with papa on the job, it looks like it will be taken care of properly.

it would also appear that davey might be getting involved in sports a little earlier than ever before, especially since he is so accurate with his curve-ball.

:off:

ok so pre-season baseball has started up now, and the twins won 6-3 against the bo red sox tonight. i just gotta say, joe mauer is so dam hot in uniform!!!!!

Thanks Dan!

Ok, as for that last bit: Those of us who love seeing new chapters should see this as a golder opportunity to prove that a fast release rate does not reduce chapter discussion!!!

So, chapter 34 or no chapter 34 (I just read it BTW, thank you!) I'm going to keep discussing chapter 33.

Any opinions on Daveys headaches, anyone? I think they will prove significant.

ok thank you for another chap dan!!

and as far as the shelf life of the discussion, don't worry about it. I for one will beat a dead horse with a stick. as long as i'm not the only one doing it--i like to talk to the voices in my head, but it looks funny having entire discussions with them in the forum, especially when i know more people gotta have something to say about this awesome story!

I sure do! I also think the chance to discuss a story in progress is one of the best things about the information age!

Oh, and just to give further incentive to others to post: If I'm left here all alone for too long, I'll start arguing with my own posts. That won't be pretty.

it would also appear that Davey might be getting involved in sports a little earlier than ever before, especially since he is so accurate with his curve-ball.

I was thinking that, too. It's one area where he has an enormous edge, physically, over his peers.

Tennis might be another area for him for the same reasons.

I wonder if Papa's access to items from that store (where he and Davey placed the first bet) will be coming into play on upcoming chapters?

Edited by C James
That's an interesting idea...

However, I don't recall Davey having this problem in previous timelines?

Yes but this time something went wrong. He wasn't supposed to go back that far.

So either, as said, his brain is too young or the manipulations have not been completed properly (or for any other reasons Dan might have thought of) and that's causing his headaches.

Maybe it's totally unrelated but since something definitely went wrong this time, I guess it's safe to assume that the go-back is the cause of the headaches. Especially since it seems to only be happening when he needs the "data" that have been copied.

Didn't Sean also had the same kind of problems with his incomplete go back ?

Edited by Xandra Kitee
Yes but this time something went wrong. He wasn't supposed to go back that far.

So either, as said, his brain is too young or the manipulations have not been completed properly (or for any other reasons Dan might have thought of) and that's causing his headaches.

Maybe it's totally unrelated but since something definitely went wrong this time, I guess it's safe to assume that the go-back is the cause of the headaches. Especially since it seems to only be happening when he needs the "data" that have been copied.

Didn't Sean also had the same kind of problems with his incomplete go back ?

That's what I'm thinking, too.

I'm going to have to go re-read that bit about Sean having an incomplete go-back, as I think it might be important here. I've also got a nagging feeling that there was something about Sean's incomplete go-back that made it dangerous for him to try another goback? Maybe that's why Davey is having the headaches: Dan is foreshadowing major problems with his next do-over?

BTW, while I'm speculating, I'll speculate on something else: The comparative lack of speculation in this thread compared to the thread about DD, one of Dom's stories. :(:blink:

The last couple of chapters of DOR have been, I don't know the literary terms, but background and stage setting more than crisis or action. I think they have been great, and more to the point very necessary for the quality of the overall story, but it seems to be crisis, major events, cliffhangers, or action that causes more speculation and posting.

However, rumor has it that DOR37 will have some major events and trouble, so we shall see if my prediction and speculation pan out... :boy:

BTW, while I'm speculating, I'll speculate on something else: The comparative lack of speculation in this thread compared to the thread about DD, one of Dom's stories. :(:blink:

Come on peoples, this story is awesome. lets discuss parts of it. I'm amazed at the difference in the participation in the forums between dans and doms. Maybe we need to convert more domaholics into dannicts also--maybe they dont realize that they are missing such a large part of their lives.

VJ2 Service was an excellent evil plan to get people to read more of dan's stuff, but maybe people are too big of wussies to even read Vampire Jarred, and then if they do read it they are too scared to admit they liked it.

Yes that's right, I'm attacking all you lurkers here who are to wussly to admit that dan can make you feel acceptance about certain subjects you think is totally wrong.

Your silence only proves my point, so speak up and prove me wrong, you pansies.

ok yea im pretty sure the headaches have to do with the bungled time jump this time--being nuked as it happened means hes lucky hes not glowing in the dark as a 7 YO right now. It's gonna definitely be a hell of an ending to a hell of a good story :worship::worship:

...dannicts ...

The correct term for an obsessive fan of Dan's writing is Danimal :D

His forums went quiet during his writing drought, but as he starts writing more, his fans are getting more vocal.

The correct term for an obsessive fan of Dan's writing is Danimal :D

His forums went quiet during his writing drought, but as he starts writing more, his fans are getting more vocal.

Ahhh, that might explain it. I do recall one of his blog entries, quite a while back, where he complained (rightly IMHO) that no one seemed to be reading his blog anymore. I felt really bad for him, that readers could be so fickle.

I tried to post a comment, but got a system error message (which might have been part of the reason he was getting no comments). I was taken offline by sudden (now resolved) health emergencies very soon thereafter, so I never got around to registering here until recently.

So, now, here I am, to infest his forums. Forum traffic does seem to be increasing, though, so I'm happy to see that. :read:

VJ2 Service was an excellent evil plan to get people to read more of dan's stuff, but maybe people are too big of wussies to even read Vampire Jarred, and then if they do read it they are too scared to admit they liked it.

oi, don't tempt me. I'm usually a real chatterbox with a very naughty mind.

I like it too much and I'd speculate on things that could make blush an old prostitute. >_>;

Come on peoples, this story is awesome. lets discuss parts of it. I'm amazed at the difference in the participation in the forums between dans and doms. Maybe we need to convert more domaholics into dannicts also--maybe they dont realize that they are missing such a large part of their lives.

I've been reading Dom Luka's stories for a lot longer than I've been reading Dan's stories, though I heard about Dan long before I heard about Dom Luka. My boyfriend first started trying to convince me to read Dawn of Tears almost a year ago, but I was turned off by the idea of reading a Sci-Fi story, since Sci-Fi has never been my thing. It tooka three-day weekend of extreme boredom before he finally convinced me to read Do Over, and its one of the best decisions I've made in a while.

Dan's stories are very different from Dom's, but they have one major thing in common- they're amazing. I think we could convince a lot of people over at Dom's forums to give Dan a shot, and they'd probably love us for it.

OK, Tim, I'll sign up for the "recruit more Danimals" campaign!

We need a slogan... Hmmmm... How about "Why settle for the lesser of two evils?" 0:)

Yes that's right, I'm attacking all you lurkers here who are to wussly to admit that dan can make you feel acceptance about certain subjects you think is totally wrong.

Your silence only proves my point, so speak up and prove me wrong, you pansies.

Well said!

A few weeks ago, I was a lurker here too, mainly due to being too lazy to register. But, it takes about 30 seconds, and it's easy, so I hope anyone reading this will GO DO IT NOW!

One thing any newbie will soon discover is it's FUN to participate here. So, it's free, so why not give it a try?

ok yea im pretty sure the headaches have to do with the bungled time jump this time--being nuked as it happened means hes lucky hes not glowing in the dark as a 7 YO right now.

Yep, EMP can have some nasty effects on electonics, and so too can the x-ray pulse that preceeds the neutron high-energy neutron flux (assuming it was a 3-stage weapon) so he's lucky he made it at all. :nuke:

I'm definitly going to have to go back and re-read the part where Sean has an incomplete do-over, as I suspect that is tied in with this somehow.

One thing though: The real threat Davey needs to deal with is the other time travelers. So, would stopping the mad scientist work for that? Or does he need to eliminate them as they arrive? If it's the latter, I think DOR is far from over, as it's years in Davey's future. It will take Dan a LOT of chapters to cover the interveining years. (and I for one sure wouldn't mind!)